A Quiet Place = VASTLY overrated!

→ in
Tools    

After months of hearing nothing but glowing reviews from critics and audiences alike, I was pretty damn excited to watch this Saturday night w/the wife. I expected a horror classic, or at least something close to it... given it's hype. I won't go into too long of diatribe tonight (too tired lol) but all I can say is I found it to be an incredibly UNDERWHELMING movie. I feel people got too caught up in the whole "originality" plot of having to live in total silence, but that alone was not enough for this film to work imo.

It lacked the suspense that I was led to believe it would have, and the "monsters" were kind of disappointing

I dunno... just a let down imo.

I'd give it a 5/10

I plan to see Hereditary this week, and I'm confident that'll be the much better of the two.

I agree. I found it thoroughly underwhelming at the cinema, and had forgotten it the moment I left the theatre. A lot of "buzz" (both positive and negative) toward some movies these days leaves me baffled when I actually see them.
It wasn't that original either. It was basically just Tremors on-land mixed with the Buffy episode Hush. I'd rather watch either of those.

I think your take on this pretty much mirror's mine, although I did not go in anticipating anything great, but I thought it would be at least enjoyable. My wife liked it better than I did, but it really had a lot of plot holes that annoyed me. I would probably give it a 2.5 outta 5 stars.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I don’t know what has happened these days - maybe the proliferation of YouTube reviewers and traditionally uneducated critics but I’ve seen them praise wildly mediocre films. It’s incompetence at the least - corruption at the worst.

I agree. I found it thoroughly underwhelming at the cinema, and had forgotten it the moment I left the theatre. A lot of "buzz" (both positive and negative) toward some movies these days leaves me baffled when I actually see them.
It wasn't that original either. It was basically just Tremors on-land mixed with the Buffy episode Hush. I'd rather watch either of those.
I too was underwhelmed by this. Reminded me of Tremors too. No more that 3/5 is my vote and that is being generous.

Underrated, yes, but I wouldn't use the word vastly. Outside of plot holes, I thought the movie did well in delivering suspense and such. I wouldn't be so sure about Hereditary though haha......I liked this movie better than that one

I don’t know what has happened these days - maybe the proliferation of YouTube reviewers and traditionally uneducated critics but I’ve seen them praise wildly mediocre films. It’s incompetence at the least - corruption at the worst.
Agreed.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This is true Larry. I got paid TEn bucks for every review on RT and my fingers are yapping at me with callas regard. I really habe to watch my typing.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
This is true Larry. I got paid TEn bucks for every review on RT and my fingers are yapping at me with callas regard. I really habe to watch my typing.
Dani - I used to respect you when you were the ghost writer for Roger Ebert. But ever since you went digital the quality’s gone down the toilet. I fear you have sold out.

Great disappointment to watch in theater.

I found the film enjoyable but by no means did I think it was a masterpiece. I think it's hard for anything to be considered a masterpiece as almost all originality in Hollywood is gone these days and newer films just don't have the novelty on their side like older films do. They always feel like a repeat or it is impossible for them to capture what you felt watching the "Classics" in any genre. Horror most of all.

I'm all for original films with a fresh new story, new story telling aspects or franchises going in another direction, but sometimes it back fires and a simple solid plot would work much better (looking at you Star Wars...)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Dani - I used to respect you when you were the ghost writer for Roger Ebert. But ever since you went digital the quality’s gone down the toilet. I fear you have sold out.
one thousand pardons, dear Larry. I shall try harder or be horsewhipped. Shilling is a tough gig

I liked it for what it was, but reminded me too much of Signs and had way too many plot holes to ignore.

I liked it for what it was, but reminded me too much of Signs and had way too many plot holes to ignore.
It reminded me of Signs as well, only Signs was a lot better.

Signs is actually underrated. To me, its M.Night's second best movie, behind Unbreakable.

Welcome to the human race...
Speaking of which, remind me if RLM liked this, I watched their video about this yet can't remember anything about beyond the fact that they pointed out plot holes and then complained about CinemaSins' tendency to point out plot holes.

Damn. Really? Disappointing if true, but I'll give it a chance anyway.
I don't think you can compare A Quiet Place against Hereditary anyway given that one's about aliens and the other's about black magic (to say nothing of the differing tones in the horror elements). If anything, the latter has a little more in common with It Comes at Night (which, check me if I'm wrong, you didn't like either) or its more recognisable old-school influences. That being said, I thought both were middling so whatever.

I was also underwhelmed by A Quiet Place. It wasn't bad, just certainly not the hype it was made out to be. I wasn't expecting it to deliver that, though, as I take hype with a healthy pinch of salt.

I personally think the 2 hardest genres are horror and comedy.