The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Lawrence of Arabia was number three on my list. Historically it will forever be a towering achievement in cinema. If it loses a little of its luster each generation so be it - it completely fails the Bechdel Test and Sir Alec's brownface would never happen today. But it will forever remain one of my favorite films. I was lucky in that as my film mania was growing in my teens my first viewing of Larry of Arabia was not pan & scan on television or VHS back in the '80s. I had it near the top of my ever-growing watch list, but before I ever rented it I heard rumors that it was being restored and would make a theatrical return. I had to wait over a year but that was absolutely and gloriously true. In 1989 (I was nineteen) the restored version was released and I saw it in all its 70mm splendor at The Senator Theatre in Baltimore, MD. Holy shirtballs. It was stunning. I went back a second time during that engagement and over the many years since I have seen it over twenty times theatrically, plus countless screenings letterboxed on Laser Disc and on DVD and eventually widescreen HD television. It still leaves me in awe, especially having it projected on a gigantic screen.

That makes nine from my list.

HOLDEN'S LIST
1. Chinatown (#17)
3. Lawrence of Arabia (#15)
8. Once Upon a Time in the West (#31)
10. Singin’ in the Rain (#64)
15. North by Northwest (#57)
16. Young Frankenstein (#77)
19. Brazil (#100)
23. Unforgiven (#43)
24. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (#33)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Broader thoughts on Shawshank:

I think everybody's got an overly sentimental or manipulative film they love. The line between what works and what doesn't at that level is pretty thin, and highly idiosyncratic. If it strikes you the right way all those moments land and you form a deep connection to the work. If they don't, it looks juvenile. But believe me, you've all got 'em. Shawshank seems to land pretty well for an awful lot of people, but there's no accounting for which side of the line we end up on when it's that fine.

For me, I find the vignettes to have a wonderful propulsive quality, I find the film to be genuinely perceptive and tremendously quotable, and I think it was written by someone who genuinely understands how hope works (both for good and for ill). It's a great film.

Seen "Lawrence of Arabia" many moons ago. Remember some scenes and the struggle to make it through to the end. Someday, I'll revisit it. When I have a free week.

I was fully entertained throughout "The Shawshank Redemption" and came close to being on my list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

69/86 films seen

The Shawshank Redemption is good. I hated it at first as I thought there were a few changes from the novella that I didn't like. After seeing it a few more times I'm okay with it but it's not a classic for me.
For whatever reason Tim Robbins bothers me. Something about his acting style is weird and it's every movie he's in except for Bull Durham, were he's supposed to be a little goofy anyway. Freeman is good (shocking) and Clancy Brown has been a personal fav since I saw him as Viking Lofgren in Bad Boys. He's a more menacing William Zabka.

Lawrence of Arabia I liked it enough. Kind of surprised it's this high as I never hear anyone talking about it. Until now I've seen more discussion about Lolita Torture Vibrator on MoFo than Lawrence of Arabia. A friend of mine says to really appreciate it how insanely good looking it is you have to watch it on the biggest screen you can find. I watched it on my puny 37 inch tv and thought it looked pretty good. I'm thinking IMAX would be perfect. I only saw it once and have been waiting ever since for one of the local indy theaters to screen it again. If they do I'm there.

Re: Robbins. I kind of agree, but over time I've decided he's off-putting because he's supposed to be. He can't just be this hyper-likeable paragon of virtue, he has to be legitimately anti-social, legitimately weird, to kind of explain how he got there and why he keeps bumping up against people. He has to be someone you kind of don't want to like, but end up liking anyway. I think Robbins kinda sacrified what could've been a showy performance that would've been better for him personally but worse for the film.

# 62
Vertigo 1958 Alfred Hitchcock

# 15
Psycho 1960 Alfred Hitchcock
# 12
12 Angry Men 1957 Sidney Lumet
It was a real struggle which Hitchcock film(s) to nominate. Already gave Psycho major love on my horror ballot at #1, so I chose a less popular Hitchcock this time, but I don’t expect it to make it anymore. Lumet is one of my favorite directors and Henry Fonda one of my fav. actors, 12 Angry Men is always in my top 30 somewhere, but didn’t vote for it this time. Seven Samurai is my 6th or 7th favorite Kurosawa, nice to see it made the list without my vote. Lawrence of Arabia was one the first films responsible for igniting my passion for film at a very young age, so I just had to vote for it. My #25.

Lawrence of Arabia 1962 David Lean

The Shawshank Redemption 1994 Frank Darabont

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Seen:75/86

Ballot: 13/25
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
3. The Godfather: Part II 1974 (35)
4. The Terminator 1984 (56)
5. Back to the Future 1985 (34)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
8. Once Upon a Time in the West 1968 (31)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 (42)
12. The Matrix 1999 (24)
16. The Shawshank Redemption 1994 (16)
17. The Thing 1982 (20)

20. Rear Window 1954 (40)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)
25. Lawrence of Arabia (15)

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is the kind of film I don't really like, mostly because there is hardly an interesting word to say about it. Swell storytelling, competent direction, some fine acting. Snore. I've yet to determine a single distinctive element to anything I've seen by Darabont. I don't know anything about him beyond the fact he's got a Stephen King boner, which is a truly terrible boner to have. At least Kubrick had the good sense to complete rework the source material when he dabbled in the King-verse with The Shining. Obviously, Shawshank isn't the kind of movie anyone can really hate. It doesn't really take any chances that you won't like it. Which, by my standards, makes it pretty hateable. Even if I do like it somewhat. Because even I realize you're supposed to, or youre the devil.

Lawrence of Arabia is probably without any questions the greatest biopic ever made. An enormous man, dwarfed in the center of an endless desert, refusing to not be enormous. Probably one of the most charismatic and infuriating and inspiring characters to grace classic cinema, O'Toole's performance is enough to have kept the movie going another couple of hours. His silences are as monumental as his monologuing. He is a complete cypher, even as he continuously lays his heart bare over the films marathon running time. The battle scenes are appropriately epic, the pacing immersive, the landscape terrifying and beautiful. Another perfect movie for the list!
Almost my thoughts exactly.

I think Shawshank is another film for me like Forrest Gump that I never watched until relatively late on in my life, as opposed to a lot of people I know who grew up watching them and developed a real affection towards them.

When I finally watched Shawshank all the way through for the first time I thought it was okay, but a little overlong. I know a lot of people love the humanity of the central friendship but I struggled to really connect or care for it. I should probably give it another try but I'm not in a rush.

Lawrence of Arabia blew me away when I saw it. I think I remember watching it at Uni quite late at night and it gripped me all the way through. There's a real sense of awe throughout the whole film at the sheer scope of what must have been involved to capture many of its best sequences. A magnificent film but it didn't make my list.

It's every movie he's in though. Short Cuts, Mystic River, Jacobs Ladder, The Player everything I've ever seen him in he seems like he's trying too hard. Shawshank is just one in a long line of films where he bothers me. I can still enjoy the movies but whenever I watch him I get the feeling I'm watching someone act. There's nothing that comes across as natural from him. There are a couple actors I have this "thing" with.

Lawrence of Arabia So glad it made the countdown! It's a classic film with cinematography & shooting locations that give a new meaning to the word scope.

The Shawshank Redemption A beautifully told story of the will of the human spirit to endure and even sore in adverse conditions. Glad it made the countdown too!

Seen Shawshank, I didn't understand what all the hype for this movie was all about, it was a decent movie though. never saw Lawrence of Arabia.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think this may have been true of me the first time. Either I didn't get through it, or I did and didn't think much of it. I tried it again years later and liked it a lot more. Maybe "liked" is the wrong word...I was impressed by it, the second time. The moment where he returns after that rescue...it really lands. For some reason that kind of did it for me, not just because it's a great moment, but because the reason it's a great moment--all the slow buildup that goes into it--showed me the film had to be the way it was, even if I found it a little on the slow side.
It actually didn't feel like a chore to me. It was pretty good and was when I first got into classic film. Of course that was like 10 years ago so a rewatch is definitely in order.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Words can never do justice to how much I love Shawshank as it really started my passion for film. My obvious number 1. Here's my review of it:

Shawshank Redemption

**I apologize if I end up be-bopping around a lot with this post as I am basically stating my ideas of why I love this film as I see them. And of course I'm not very good at reviews either.**

This was probably close to my 100th time watching it (literally), but every time it is an emotional experience. It's hard for me to find any fault in the movie personally. The score is superb, Roger Deakins photography shines, and the acting is great from all pieces of the puzzle, with a brilliant story and brilliant directing. And it holds a lot of personal value: it was a film that my Dad and I had watched countless times before together and we could always use it as a bonding experience.

A good chunk of the movie is narrated through Ellis Redding, a Shawshank veteran played by Morgan Freeman who eventually becomes very close with Andy Dufresne. I'm a huge fan of Freeman's narration as it adds a lot to the film for me. The movie to me show the realism of just how brutal being behind walls is, especially telling in the brutal beating of the "fat man" who is the first to break down.

I like how some scenes are so memorable. Like for instance when Brooks asks for the maggot I always believed he was going to eat it when it was actually the bird he was taking care of, Jake. I also was really choked up by the other Brooks scene, "Brooks was here". It is rather speculation how well a scene with a minor character can choke one up a bit. And while generally a lot of credit is given to Robbins and Freeman, the supporting cast was splendid as well. Brooks (as previously stated), Warden, Hadley, Boggs are four great ones, but they really all are.

So what other scenes struck me as fantastic? Well certainly the
Escape scene and the reuniting of Andy and Red are two of my favorite scenes of all time. I know the escape scene is one that many saw coming from a mile away, but for me, it was perfect. Is something like that possible? Well it isn't likely but who is to say. It's plausibility doesn't hurt it for me. It is the final destination of Andy's journey of hope being achieved.

If we are looking for an underrated scene, I tend to go with the scene where Tommy talks about how he met Andy's wife's killer. It is a bit haunting and captivating at the same time. Andy's character seems to be shaken after going to Norton and it adds quite a bit of goosebumps to the story, seeing Norton turn into a bigger monster than he already is. Norton sees that Andy has a light at the end of the tunnel and is the type of person who doesn't want him to see anything but darkness, in which the ensuing hole represents. The whole "obtuse" scene is a very chilling one that brings Andy to the realization of where he is at in his life and the unfortunate circumstances that have bestowed him.

Friendship and Hope are two of the greatest human qualities of life, and they are both presented as the key topics to this film. We see the progress of both friendship and hope happen in the two places that you would be least likely to see it, which for me adds a unique touch to the film. Laughter is another and though it isn't a key piece to the film, under the surface there really is plenty of it in this film, which I think is intentionally intended to be that way now that I think of it. Through the friendship of Red, Andy is instilling his hope in his future particularly through smuggling into the prison a rock hammer and the Rita Hayworth poster. But hope always runs its tests, and Andy had plenty of them. Boggs and the Warden often acting as devil figures standing in his way of the ocean. Andy at times gets near the bottom of the pit, but he never truly gives up on his hope. I like to think that Andy's love for chess and Rita Hayworth is a symbol of how one can fall back on things they like to take some of the pressure off. We also see how one can lose hope, through the view of Brooks. It would ha been very easy for Andy to go down the same route as Brooks, and that scene of Brooks is very powerful in showing exactly how hope can be lost.

Some of my favorite camera shots are when we first see the prison and when we see Hadley nearly push Andy over the building as they are working on the rooftop. Of course my favorite is the iconic prison break scene, with Andy running in the rain. It's a highly underrated film from a cinematography point as well. It's visuals are quite beautiful and often have great chemistry with the score to make scenes more impactful and memorable to me.

The dialogue is iconic. When Norton gives Andy a bible and says "Salvation lies within
" it is the perfect Segway to what acting ends up happening. These little tidbits that foreshadow throughout the movie truly makes it powerful and more impactful on each and every rewatch. There's other highly quotable scenes such as "These walls are funny. First you hate Em. Then you get used to Em.", "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin'.", "Hope is a dangerous thing". I could go on and on and on but they are all very impactful scene for me.

I like how Darabont keeps his main characters at the forefront of the film with Red and Andy. It is like we are going on a journey through their years of both struggle and growing together. Sometimes their struggles essentially keep them closer, as it makes them be able to relate to each other and their fellow inmates. But these two seem to be the brightest of the bunch. Red with his ability to smuggle through the walls, and Andy with his tax knowledge, book keeping abilities, and his ability to teach Tommy, and it is what keeps them together.

In getting back to iconic scenes, that prison break scene is my favorite scene of all time. It puts the entire journey of Andy's life into perspective, all in his escape. It is a very powerful and moving scene that I will never forget. It's score is stunning, it's cinematography breathtaking, and it's acting surreal.

I would also like to say that the last thirty minutes of this film are my favorite 30 minutes in all of cinema. The prison break, the arrest of Hadley and Norton (well, kind of), and the poetic reconnection of Andy and Red, the latter one of the more heartwarming scenes as well.

I know that it's impractical for a film not to have any faults but the truth in the matter is that this is a perfect film for me. Whatever faults the film has I use my blinders and do not see them. It has always been a top 3 film for me, has been in the top spot for awhile, and will probably stay up there until 2080.

+

To me, a culmination of what the HOF is all about. Sharing your personal favorites with others, and hoping that they like them well enough.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Clancy Brown should've had a better career, guy was an absolute monster and played 2 legendary villains in Highlander and Shawshank. Literally if you wanted a villain, this is the guy you should've called first.

"On Your Feet"!

Damn, can't believe all the hate for Shawshank, the feel goodyest feel goody movie ever. If you're down in the dumps, stick this on and feel happy. Maybe it doesn't still hold the power it did in the 90's and 2000's but it isn't disappearing off these lists anytime in the next 50 years.

What a wonderful character journey Andy Defresne has, from oddball banker clearly out of place in prison, to just about running the place, and successfully running from the place.

Morgan Freeman should pay a royalty to the producers for all the narration advert work he get's from this. Legendary movie speech with his parole hearing "you go and stamp your form sonny".

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Just noticed Shawshank is favourited by 227 people....that's a lot.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The Shawshank Redemption is about as solid as films come, but I don't consider it a top-tier classic and never really have the urge to revisit it (as far as prison films about the perseverance of the human spirit in the face of unimaginable cruelty and despair go, I definitely prefer Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky). As noted earlier, Lawrence of Arabia was very nearly on my list - I stuck it into my original top 100 after a single viewing, didn't watch it again until I was prepping a new top 100, and it made that one as well. Guess if I ever plan on doing another one I'll revisit again - with any luck, I'll get to do it on a big screen.

16. The Shawshank Redemption

15. Lawrence of Arabia

A system of cells interlinked
Well crap.

I take a couple days off for the weekend, and both my number one and my number three appear. I am slightly disappointed that Lawrence of Arabia didn't make the Top 10, but I understand why some are put off by it these days. Lawrence of Arabia was my number THREE.

Chinatown, on the other hand, has me absolutely outraged, and I blame every MoFo that didn't include it on their list!!!

You are all hereby banned for life.

But seriously. Chinatown was my number ONE. This may come as a slight surprise to some MoFos, who would have bet real money on me for sure slotting another flick into the top spot on my list, but when it came down to a best of all time, I had to be at least partially objective when locking in my Top 5. Even if the yet-to-appear film is my favorite of all time, at no point would I objectively place it above Chinatown, which IMO, is a perfect film. The best script ever written, stellar performances, classic noir trappings in a neo-noir that drowns the viewer in an ocean of darkness. I have seen this film many, many times, and I have yet to find a flaw.

I'm gonna fist-bump raul here, cause Shawshank is my favorite film of all-time, so obviously, it was my #1 on the list. I think Yoda put it nicely a while ago regarding how one can connect (or not) with a film like this. In my case, I rented it with my best friend back in 1994 or 1995, but for some reason, we didn't see it so I ended up taking it home and saw it alone the next morning (which, come to think of it, was probably the best way to see it). I was so captivated by the story from the beginning, so blown away by the twist, and so touched by the ending in ways that few films, if at all, have managed to do. I remember I later went to my friend's house, and even though he wasn't home, I brought him the rental tape with a note that read "even though we crawl through a river of ****, we can come clean at the end. Enjoy".

At that point, I remember we both were going through "rough" patches, so to speak. I'm not gonna pretend it was something that "big"; it was probably some girl rejection or something like that, but it's the kind of thing that breaks your world when you're a teen, even if on hindsight, doesn't really matter. But the point is that I "felt" hopeless and, as cliché as it might sound, this film moved me in how one can overcome adversities and keep the hope. With time, I obviously forgot about whatever happened, but I like to think I've embraced the "get busy living or get busy dying" mantra in my life. And through all those years, the film has remained close to my heart.

Speaking about the film per se, I think it's exceptionally well made and well acted. Darabont's direction is often dismissed, but I think he manages to handle the camera perfectly, and the way and pace in which the story unfolds is flawless. Every performance is on-point, from the awkwardly aloof Robbins, to the honestly tragic Freeman, or the wickedly evil Gunton and Brown. And that twist? It is widely known now, but...

WARNING: spoilers below

...when Norton ripped that poster, my jaw hit the floor and didn't spring back until we managed to see what had actually happened to Andy several minutes later. This is a great example of how Darabont manages to hold the reveal until the moment is perfect. From the way he reveals that the cell is actually *empty* to the reveal of what was behind the poster, and finally the reveal of how he managed to do it.

But as shocking and surprising as the twist is, what gets me more is the way that Darabont builds this true friendship between two men, and how the impact of one to the other ends up saving his life. There's not a single time I see this film (and trust me, I've seen it dozens of times) that I don't at least swell up as Red approaches that tree to read Andy's note, or as he looks outside the bus window saying "I hope...", or as he finally meets his friend on that beach (it's even my profile picture here). Swelling up now even as I write it. What else can I say?

As for Lawrence, it's good.

My Summary:

Seen: 77/86
My list: 13/25

My List