Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
okok fine! I saw this last night but hesitated....

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Really 4 Things would have saved the season quite easily. A Dont Turn Dany Bad Just have her get killed on Drogon and lest Rhaegal Live. Allow haste to be her down fall and not do some strange too late of a plot twist. B Arya and The Hound Kill The Mountain . Been a better ending to have Hound go with Arya a place he has never been. Let hound be a one eyed pirate. C Jon Snow dies killing the Night King and In his will makes Gendry his Hand which would be protector of the Realm. And Davos would be Gendrys Hand. With Tyrion As advisor. D The Mountain Killed Cersei and And Qyburn. Arya and Sansa devise a Plan to beat cersei. Grey Worm and Missandei Go To Naarth and both die because she lied about being from there.

Grey Worm and Missandei Go To Naarth and both die because she lied about being from there.
ha! love that last bit

The politics of entertainment never cease to amaze.

Still bummed out on how the ended it. At least I only invested 2 months in the series. I don't watch alot of tv dramas because they inevitably let you down. Except my boys at Breaking Bad. This show deserved so much better specially Jon.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
"Something is hurtling towards him out of the darkness — Arya," Cogman says. "She vaults off a pile of dead wights, leaps at the Night King, and she plunges the dagger up through the Night King's armor. The Night King shatters."

This is from the Game of Thrones documentary. I get wanted to have the visual surprise, but one foot leaping off some bodies would have been enough.

Suspect's Reviews

"Something is hurtling towards him out of the darkness — Arya," Cogman says. "She vaults off a pile of dead wights, leaps at the Night King, and she plunges the dagger up through the Night King's armor. The Night King shatters."

This is from the Game of Thrones documentary. I get wanted to have the visual surprise, but one foot leaping off some bodies would have been enough.
Yesterday I saw an online article on that scene. I didn't have time to read it but it showed a diagram of Arya's 3-step knife drop explaining how she killed the Night King. I assumed that was as deep as the documentary got with it so I haven't bothered to watch it. Did they go into much more? I mean, are the bits on the knife changing hands and the description of her leaping over the dead all there is to detail that scene? I'm soooooo desperate to see a thumbnail sketch showing the yard, walls, entrance, and standing count positions relative to the path she took. Almost like a white board football play.

I know I know.... let it go, yn. just let it go....

I kind of hate that this thread is dying. Previous seasons were so much fun to toss ideas back and forth! Same for Westworld Season 1. What's next??

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I kind of hate that this thread is dying. Previous seasons were so much fun to toss ideas back and forth! Same for Westworld Season 1. What's next??
I was in the "scheduled" section of my sky TV menu and it said next series of GOT scheduled to record.

It made me sad.

The Adventure Starts Here!
We could discuss Kit Harington going into rehab...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well we've discussed our thoughts but we've not really discussed WHY this season was so bad, from what I've been reading, mainly on reddit, you can start to list several factors that contributed to the disappointing finish.

-D and D haven't earned their way into their position, one of their fathers was the head of Goldman Sachs, the same one who's previous work includes Wolverine Origins. So they've bought their way into the game with a mixture of powerful connections and wealth without any notable work coming before. These guys are basically Prequel George Lucas, and when they try to do something on their own I'm betting it fails big time( you could say it already has)..

-Key moment's of decision making earlier on contributed to the poor story of the finale such as;

-In the books at the moment Jamie frees Tyrion, Jamie confesses that Tyrion's earlier pre story wife Tysha was in fact genuine and not a fake as Tywin made Tyrion believe, his wife is mentioned in S1 but never after that. Tywin had her raped by a barracks full of soldiers to punish her and Tyrion for their marriage. Tyrion believed her a fake till this moment, this acts as a catalyst for Tyrion to kill Tywin and start down the path of becoming a darker character, also in retort Tyrion tells Jamie that Cersei has been ****ing Lancel and some of the Kingsguard which starts Jamie down the path of independence from Cersei. So this one omission spoils Tyrion a bit, he is basically useless from S5-8 and it spoils Jamie's arc but not as much.

-Omitting key plotlines from S5 that will play a big part in the transition of Dany from hero to villain, namely Rhaegar's original son Aegon and the Golden Company invading Westeros, probably entering into Alliance with Dorne, and possibly toppling Cersei much earlier than in the show. Its been said that D and D love Lena Hedley so much they kept Cersei alive much longer than intended. Cersei has very little to do in all of S8, and the consequence of leaving out Aegon/Stormlands (Aegon invades there) and Dorne is that we have such an empty world in S8, "Does anyone know who rules the Stormlands", "There's a new prince of Dorne". Only the North and KL exist in S8.

-Merging 2 great characters, Victarion and Euron, into 1 creating this weird and dull mad pirate thing, and several other plot lines that would have made it much better. Of course in any book to Film/TV adaptation there are hard choices to make but did D and D get those right? sometimes but others clearly not.

- Not making S5 into 2 seasons, forcing it to be very rushed and leaving out key storylines that are important for the ending. Then rushing the finish. It seems like 9-10 full seasons would have been so much better at this point. HBO wanted this but D and D were off to pastures new. As previously mentioned ep 1-3 would have been a logical end to s7 then we could have had a proper full finish without it being tacked on in 3 episodes.

-Not planning ahead, none of the actors seemed to know their final destination and the previous points about missing key book storylines has created a jumbled finish. Oh we don't have anything for Arya to do, she can kill NK even though it seemed Jon's destiny, Theon he can die defending Bran even though it looked like he was off to face Euron last season, Bran well basically all of his powers were not needed at all, but he still gets to be King, Arya's faceless men etc etc. Getting GOT right required very detailed planning from years ago and that clearly didn't happen.

-These guys clearly expected George Martin to finish his books so they could continue copying but quickly got out of their depth when the material ran out, not realising how their omissions would have a big effect on the finale, also they became distracted getting attention from elsewhere. The writing took a notable downturn from S6 onwards despite that season being a return to form. George Martin has to shoulder some blame too.

Right I'm done now (again)……I think.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I haven't posted on here so thought I might as well jot down my thoughts (done plenty of that on a GoT whatsapp group I am a part of...which has become very sarcastic after this season, and rightfully so haha).

This was, in all honesty a very bad season but before I get to all the negativity, I would like to highlight a few of the positives, and I really do mean few:

It looked great, possibly the best looking TV show ever put on screen. The charge of the Dothraki was spectacular, the destruction of King's Landing even more so and the dragons have never looked better.

I was going to do a second paragraph but I thnk that is about it.

Now onto the serious stuff, not just how bad it has been but like the poster above me, why it's so bad...I agree with some of the reasons above but I'dl ike to add in two main points -

The time frame was all overt he place, as it was last season, which is ok if you're trying to wind up a story but it is not ok if you are trying to wind up a show which is known for its world building and complex characters. Considering the producers have been speaking about 8 seasons for a while now, could they not have tightened the plot enough to make it feasible? Surely they could have led Dany down the dark path last season, giving her more time to be acceptable as a genocidal maniac? Or how about positioning Jon in such a position where he isn't just some lovesick puppy one second, a murderer the next? Yes so few episodes is not enough for the show to be exceptional in the way it needed but it could and should have been better than this with better, heck, even average writing.

This brings me on to my second point and that is the writing. It has been bad, not just by D and D but when we trace it to the books, by Martin himself. There are different levels of bad of course, with Martin at his worse still a decent plot maker but when diluted into a TV format, was a final season this bad really off the cards?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Finally finished GOT. Hard to believe I’ve been watching this show for 8 years. It never was my favorite HBO show, but I respect & admire the work that went into it. Surprised that Snow murdered Dany, but it is what it is. My fave characters were Arya & Sansa & I’m glad they both prevailed.