Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

I have to say this...

Battle scenes and visuals - 10/10
Writing and logic/battle tactics - 1/10

Like i'm so conflicted with this on one hand the battle itself was "visually" amazing, but the writing in this episode was a solid 1/10.

Sending the dothraki to their death just for the cool shot of all their fires going out in the dark instead of waiting for the wights to come to you? Makes no sense.

Putting the fire ditch BEHIND your main forces trapping them to their death when you set it off? Makes no sense.

Shooting the trebuchets before you can even see the wight army? Makes no sense.

You're fighting a necromancer so you put all your defenseless down with a bunch of dead starks. Makes no sense.

So many deus ex machina moments which really killed the stakes for me. So many more characters should of died in this episode besides no names and redshirts.

but none of that comes close to the biggest problem.
The Night King being a one note "Ice Sauron" was a complete and utter disappointment. No "He's a proto-stark who was turned into an ice demon against his will" or that he wanted more than a "Night that never ends." The thing with Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire is that most of the villains aren't villains just to be villains there is a reason they are the way they are and to see the NK go out without knowing his true intentions is just so disappointing. He was "forced" to become the NK by the children of the forest why would he want to destroy "humanity" you think his main goal would be just kill all the children and that's it mankind did nothing to him. Maybe he was trying to figure out how to reverse the effects so he could become human again? Possibly having to go to the Isle of faces to achieve this so that's why he wants to come south. None of that. Nothing....literally....nothing. 7 Season build up for him to just be a one note villain who dies after one battle. That's just NOT Game of Thrones at all. That's such a fantasy trope and the source material of this story pisses on traditional fantasy. It's such a slap in the face.

Also Arya killing The NK has caused Jon Snow's Resurrection to be completely pointless. Jon didn't even take back Winterfell from the Boltons on his own. Sansa and Baelish did. Jon was completely unnecessary for the end game. At this point he should of just stayed dead. It feels like he was now brought back JUST as fan service and because of R+L=J. This show just **** all over the Prince that was Promised prophecy.

I could go on and on but i'm not going to right now. I for one can see why people didn't like this episode, because D&D don't care about logic anymore since they are past the books they just want "cool scenes" despite what it costs in logical consistency.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@AdamUpBxtch

The children of the forest, or whatever they were called, made him specifically to fight man as they were expanding and killing their way of life. I'm simplifying because I don't remember exactly.

They did capture a human though, to use magic on him so that he would kill his kind as the night king.

Other than that, we're nearly on the same page.

@AdamUpBxtch

The children of the forest, or whatever they were called, made him specifically to fight man as they were expanding and killing their way of life. I'm simplifying because I don't remember exactly.

They did capture a human though, to use magic on him so that he would kill his kind as the night king.

Other than that, we're nearly on the same page.
The thing is he "turned" on the children and started killing them, because of what they did to him. He himself as a person had no motivation to kill humanity other than the children "controlling" him. After he became his own person what motivation did he have to continue killing man? Did it have something to do with the Pact between the children and first men? Were the white walkers included in that pact and did the humans in the present do something to break that pact? We will never know and now we have so many dead.....for no reason other than "I'm evil and want to kill all humans because.... I have spikes on my head and blue eyes."

Like i said, we're mostly on the same page. Just wanted to comment on that one bit. I don't like trying to think on this ep because when I do, it starts reading like writer's attempts to redirect rather than character choices evolving.

Thats something that i struggle with on many fronts.

Something from me too:

- I absolutely loved how the episode captured the tension and horror of the war in the initial half an hour or so. Had it not been for the lighting issue, it'd have been even great.

- Jorah's death was one of the best death sequences of this series. Loved Emilia Clarke's performance in that scene. Girl really looked heartbroken.

- I absolutely hate hate hate Bran's character. I hate it 3000.

- There are articles saying 'Arya Stark is my role model', and stuff like 'Our heartfelt salute to the soldiers who died in the Winterfell war".. What the actual ****?!!

- The ending scene was a huge huge huge disappointment for me. It just felt so unearned. I really wanted more about the Night King, the guy they've been hyping up from the very first minute of the show.

- I wanna see Sansa and Tyrion end up together.

- Cersei('s storyline) is the only one now who can bring this show back to my good books, but I guess the damage's been done.

- The last time I was absolutely amazed by this show was Winds of Winter. I was so hoping this episode would surpass that and it got close in doing that but then that last scene ruined it for me.

I still have some hopes for this show. In any case, it's still entertaining. But the writing went so downhill that it hurts

Why are people talking about Cersei's pregnancy? She was drinking wine after pirate sex

Fake news
Jaime said it's real in last week's episode. Even if it isn't real, Jaime and Tyrion believe that it is and it may affect their actions.

Also, the consumption of some alcohol during pregnancy isn't necessarily going to harm the child. It depends on the amount consumed and at what point in the fetus's development.

You ready? You look ready.
I hear winter is still coming, so that's cool.
I'm just glad that I was right. Winter did in fact come.
I’m that good.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

S08E03 The Long Night

I know many did not like this episode for a lot of reasons, but

This is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series so far, Battle of the Bastards being my first. The difficulty with seeing things because of the darkness only pulls me into the situation more. It is confusing and strange and things suddenly jump out at you – I imagine just what it would be like if one were there. Sure we are viewers and not characters and I do get the dislike for not being able to see everything that is going on, but I enjoyed it myself.
Arya has always been a love/hate character for me. I did not care for much of the “House of Black and White” story line but ultimately it allowed her to become what she is, a deadly assassin. She is comfortable in the dark and has always had a talent for hiding and being quiet. Those skills now honed give her excellent abilities so I am all in on her being the one to kill the Night King.

As far as what Bran has done – he has pretty much set into motion much of what led up to the slaying of the leader of the White Walkers. In an earlier episode he gave the dagger to Arya in the same spot she ultimately had to use it. Everyone’s eyes (both dead and otherwise) were watching the stare down between Bran and the NK, however one of the “generals” detects something at the last second and anything they sense so does their blue eyed boss. This is why he was able to almost prevent his “death” at the very last second. She is able to not panic and it seems as even the White Walkers, or at least their leadership, cannot help but be somewhat smug. It was akin to the villain explaining everything to the hero thus giving time for something else to happen. If he would have just killed wheeled chair bound Bran from a distance like he did a moving dragon last season it would not have been much of a fight I do not think. Bran however knew he would gloat, or at least pause to relish in his premature victory. I know Bran has kind of given up on emotions, but he is definitely cold as ice in this scene, I think it does make the NK wonder why Bran is so unafraid, but too little too late for his popsicle arse.

Theon’s death was beautiful in my mind especially being preceded by Bran telling him thank you and that he was a good man.
The highlight of the whole episode started at the 1 hour 9 min mark when Sansa and Tyrion where hiding in the crypt and they look at each other. Sansa pulls out the dragon glass dagger and then the next score begins. The music just pulls me in even more and I love how very few words need to be said until it all ends. The story is told with body language and people’s faces with the requiem for a dream like music playing. I have played that last part a few times now and have been listening to the music on my phone all day.

It really hit a lot of spots for me and in ways I never thought of. As mentioned the dragons flying above the storm was a visually amazing shot and one of the best in the whole series.

So mush to think about and take in and talk about intense edge of your couch action and suspense. Much of the way things play out definitely lead me to believe there is deity/deities at work.
Jorah died fittingly and doing what he loved to do – protecting his queen.
So many zombies falling from the sky and from up high off walls and buildings, it was crazy and I am not sure how more were not injured just from the weight of falling bodies. The death of the Night King does deflate my expectations a little bit for the last three episodes but I am anticipating more surprises before all is said and done.

Great job of the producers keeping things quiet, but there was a lot of talk this weekend about Endgame so maybe that helped a little.
Absolutely loved this episode and even though there were not more major character deaths there was one damn big one.

This does setup Clegan bowl perfectly though.

I hope it does not end with Jon and Deanery’s on the throne together. I do like them both, but it just doesn’t feel right to me. If it is one or the other that would be fine, but not together. Hell Jon doesn’t even want it.

I just do not see Cersei surviving, much less taking the throne and I would not care to see her do so. I do love her character though, well love to hate that is. I am hoping Gendry gets it as I do think a Baratheon should be sitting there. If I honestly had my way of things no one would win the throne and the kingdoms would have their own rulers that did not “bend the knee” to anyone. Kinda boring, but hey.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Jaime said it's real in last week's episode. Even if it isn't real, Jaime and Tyrion believe that it is and it may affect their actions.

Also, the consumption of some alcohol during pregnancy isn't necessarily going to harm the child. It depends on the amount consumed and at what point in the fetus's development.
Plus, I'm pretty sure Cersei doesn't have the benefit of the Surgeon General's report on alcohol affecting pregnancy.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I loved watching this on my OLED tv! Perfect blacks! I mean, black was just black... grey was black... blue was, uh, black... EVERYTHING WAS F*CKING BLACK!!! aaargh

For real though, it's ridiculous that the network making and releasing the world's biggest television show ever doesn't stream in proper-looking HD quality, let alone 4K/HDR (which Netflix, Amazon, and every-freaking-body does by now). It's such a shame for a huge show like this and an obviously beautiful episode to be ruined like this because of compression, banding and whatnot. Can't wait to see this episode for real once it gets released in proper HD and 4K/HDR.

As for the episode, I thought it was an awesome fight, but it's a shame the writing has become so bad for the last few seasons (at least season 7-8), where the action and spectacle and wow-factor completely overshadows good dialogue, proper set-ups and pay-offs and whatnot. I like the epicness of it all, but I really miss good ol' GoT. Looks like this entire season is all-fighting... I hope for some intense dialogue for a more character-climatic end.
Looked great on our Vizio 65" SmartTV in HD! And even on my 27" old AOC monitor on the computer! But we have everything cable-based, not satellite, so perhaps that ensured better quality...?

@Austruck
Cable land line through cable service? Or streaming through HBONow or HBO GO via internet? I stream through HBONow and the blacks were artifacting a good bit. Well, whatever the murky dark colors were. Not exactly black. My streaming here can get rough with HBO though.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Plus, I'm pretty sure Cersei doesn't have the benefit of the Surgeon General's report on alcohol affecting pregnancy.
Oh I'm sure everyone knows all about fetal alcohol syndrome in this medieval fantasy show.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
As for the episode, I thought it was an awesome fight, but it's a shame the writing has become so bad for the last few seasons (at least season 7-8), where the action and spectacle and wow-factor completely overshadows good dialogue, proper set-ups and pay-offs and whatnot. I like the epicness of it all, but I really miss good ol' GoT. Looks like this entire season is all-fighting... I hope for some intense dialogue for a more character-climatic end.
I felt like Episode 2 scratched this itch perfectly. No battle, just characters being with each other, talking.

S08E03 The Long Night

I know many did not like this episode for a lot of reasons, but

This is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series so far, Battle of the Bastards being my first. The difficulty with seeing things because of the darkness only pulls me into the situation more. It is confusing and strange and things suddenly jump out at you – I imagine just what it would be like if one were there. Sure we are viewers and not characters and I do get the dislike for not being able to see everything that is going on, but I enjoyed it myself.
Arya has always been a love/hate character for me. I did not care for much of the “House of Black and White” story line but ultimately it allowed her to become what she is, a deadly assassin. She is comfortable in the dark and has always had a talent for hiding and being quiet. Those skills now honed give her excellent abilities so I am all in on her being the one to kill the Night King.

As far as what Bran has done – he has pretty much set into motion much of what led up to the slaying of the leader of the White Walkers. In an earlier episode he gave the dagger to Arya in the same spot she ultimately had to use it. Everyone’s eyes (both dead and otherwise) were watching the stare down between Bran and the NK, however one of the “generals” detects something at the last second and anything they sense so does their blue eyed boss. This is why he was able to almost prevent his “death” at the very last second. She is able to not panic and it seems as even the White Walkers, or at least their leadership, cannot help but be somewhat smug. It was akin to the villain explaining everything to the hero thus giving time for something else to happen. If he would have just killed wheeled chair bound Bran from a distance like he did a moving dragon last season it would not have been much of a fight I do not think. Bran however knew he would gloat, or at least pause to relish in his premature victory. I know Bran has kind of given up on emotions, but he is definitely cold as ice in this scene, I think it does make the NK wonder why Bran is so unafraid, but too little too late for his popsicle arse.

Theon’s death was beautiful in my mind especially being preceded by Bran telling him thank you and that he was a good man.
The highlight of the whole episode started at the 1 hour 9 min mark when Sansa and Tyrion where hiding in the crypt and they look at each other. Sansa pulls out the dragon glass dagger and then the next score begins. The music just pulls me in even more and I love how very few words need to be said until it all ends. The story is told with body language and people’s faces with the requiem for a dream like music playing. I have played that last part a few times now and have been listening to the music on my phone all day.

It really hit a lot of spots for me and in ways I never thought of. As mentioned the dragons flying above the storm was a visually amazing shot and one of the best in the whole series.

So mush to think about and take in and talk about intense edge of your couch action and suspense. Much of the way things play out definitely lead me to believe there is deity/deities at work.
Jorah died fittingly and doing what he loved to do – protecting his queen.
So many zombies falling from the sky and from up high off walls and buildings, it was crazy and I am not sure how more were not injured just from the weight of falling bodies. The death of the Night King does deflate my expectations a little bit for the last three episodes but I am anticipating more surprises before all is said and done.

Great job of the producers keeping things quiet, but there was a lot of talk this weekend about Endgame so maybe that helped a little.
Absolutely loved this episode and even though there were not more major character deaths there was one damn big one.

This does setup Clegan bowl perfectly though.

I hope it does not end with Jon and Deanery’s on the throne together. I do like them both, but it just doesn’t feel right to me. If it is one or the other that would be fine, but not together. Hell Jon doesn’t even want it.

I just do not see Cersei surviving, much less taking the throne and I would not care to see her do so. I do love her character though, well love to hate that is. I am hoping Gendry gets it as I do think a Baratheon should be sitting there. If I honestly had my way of things no one would win the throne and the kingdoms would have their own rulers that did not “bend the knee” to anyone. Kinda boring, but hey.
Good review, @7thson! Agree with everything you said.

I was watching the episode again and saw what I thought I did the first time around. When Viserion was spouting his blue flame inside Winterfell, I noticed that the flame was also coming out of the side of his neck. Is this where the Night King hit him with the ice spear? I thought it was a little lower but I'd have to go back and watch that episode from last season.

Also, I totally missed why Jon was going out in the open to get something in front of Viserion but I caught it this time that is was Longclaw. I mean, the first time around I'm sure I totally saw him grab a sword but I was too focused on what the dragon was doing. D'oh!

I think that might have been the injury from John's dragon during their fight earlier. one of the two bit into him. I actually thought it was enough to kill him but he popped back up later.

I think that might have been the injury from John's dragon during their fight earlier. one of the two bit into him. I actually thought it was enough to kill him but he popped back up later.
Thanks @ynwtf! Didn't even think about that. I'll go back later and replay scenes like the dragon fights in slow play so I can see a few more things. Yeah, I didn't remember Viserion shooting flames out of the side of his jowls when he took down that section of the Wall so what you said makes total sense. Again, I thank you. Now when my niece and I discuss the episode I can float that point by her and totally look like a brain, which, compared to her on GOT, I'm not!

lol. If you get to confirm it lemme know? It's going to be a few days before I get to rewatch.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I wonder if the darkness is an effort to hide details in set designs and costumes? How I've felt at half the movies I've seen in the past 10 years.

Oh yeah, cue the zombie movie tropes we've never seen before.