Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?

Tools    

Here's an idea. Make an original series with characters that are female/minorities. MAKE A GOOD SCRIPT!!! Oh but ya know that's too much effort I guess *eye roll*. Try and start a new secret agent franchise with a woman lead. A whole new character. The possibilities are endless there.

The main problem with these remakes and re imagines is that they usually take a plot that is mediocre or horrendous because they don't wanna take time to make an actual good story first. Changing the cast to females or a different race than the original characters doesn't automatically make your mediocre script any better.

Money always triumphs over reasoning which is why this **** is and will continue to happen until every big franchise is driven into the ground.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I have no problems with James Bond being played by Idris Elba or even Charlize Theron being the first female James Bond aka Jane Bond..
Audiences wouldn't accept a female Bond though, cause they would not like a female action hero who seduces multiple men throughout one movie. Usually audiences accept a female hero seducing one man, but if she to be like Bond and seduce an average of three per movie, then audiences would have a problem with that. This is unfortunate though, cause if audiences want a female Bond, they should also accept the Bond character traits as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a female action hero being as promiscuous as James Bond, but I think it should be done in a different movie with an original character though maybe.

Audiences wouldn't accept a female Bond though, cause they would not like a female action hero who seduces multiple men throughout one movie. Usually audiences accept a female hero seducing one man, but if she to be like Bond and seduce an average of three per movie, then audiences would have a problem with that. This is unfortunate though, cause if audiences want a female Bond, they should also accept the Bond character traits as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a female action hero being as promiscuous as James Bond, but I think it should be done in a different movie with an original character though maybe.
Bond in the Craig years has obviously been much more socially aware as well, the characters womanising hasn't really been gloried in as we see either real romance or linger on the deaths of the women he treats more casually.

I could maybe see Idris as Bond shifting the focus a bit, rather than Bond himself being the representation of establishment entitlement this would be more Bond fighting against that entitlement, already present somewhat I spose but could be played up more.

Audiences wouldn't accept a female Bond though, cause they would not like a female action hero who seduces multiple men throughout one movie.
Can’t imagine why not.

Audiences wouldn't accept a female Bond though, cause they would not like a female action hero who seduces multiple men throughout one movie. .
Again double standards? Today's woman isnt anything like what it was like in my Grandmother or Mother's time...

Who says she has to be involved with so many men...

I guarantee .. Charlize Theron can kick your a$$ as well as most of the Hollywood female action women.

But part of that appeal of James Bond is that he as a promiscuous love life and that is part of the appeal and the fantasy. If they take that away, then a lot of fans, including myself would feel part of the appeal is being taken away, that what makes Bond entertaining in the first place.

If they were to make Bond a woman and take away the promiscuity, then I would think they are just trying to make another social political statement, and I would not like that at all.

If you are going to make Bond a woman, then keep her promiscuous, and keep true to the character still.

But part of that appeal of James Bond is that he as a promiscuous love life and that is part of the appeal and the fantasy. If they take that away, then a lot of fans, including myself would feel part of the appeal is being taken away, that what makes Bond entertaining in the first place.

If they were to make Bond a woman and take away the promiscuity, then I would think they are just trying to make another social political statement, and I would not like that at all.

If you are going to make Bond a woman, then keep her promiscuous, and keep true to the character still.
I don't see changing the gender a "political statement" as you call it.. I see it as "change of time". Just like if they used Idris Elba.... why not a black James Bond?.... I'm sure Idris would be great at it... look at his track record... look at Charlize's track record as well.

I don't see all this as political, racial or whatever you want to call it... I don't buy into that sh*t... I'm calling it a change..nothing more..

When people bring up racism or discrimination of gender... I say "bullsh*t"... its just an excuse.

An excuse for what?

I just see it as the filmmakers wanting to be 'safe', and can't trust the audience that they want to take a risk, but that is my interpretation.

I don't mind a black James Bond as that is just a very minor change for me. My friend didn't like the new Karate Kid movie, cause the lead was changed to black and he thought the filmmakers were trying to make a statement and therefore didn't like it. That didn't bother me, cause it was hardly a change much. So I don't mind a black James Bond.

But when you make Bond a woman, that is a much bigger change and it becomes questionable, and I ask why are you doing this, what's your statement? And are you going to take away Bond's promiscuity, cause she is woman, and how far are you going to go with this, and how safe you are going to play it?

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I wouldn’t have a problem if bond was female if it works. That means it needs to be a good film with strong characters and story. If it’s merely a forced gender political statement at the expense of character and story then that’s a problem.

I don't see changing the gender a "political statement" as you call it.. I see it as "change of time".
Speaking of time, there's another angle. The Bond films are a nearly 60-year-old franchise. It could be argued that every other possible avenue has been explored with regard to the main character. This is also the situation that Doctor Who is in, though a more extreme example given that 13 actors have played the role compared to Bond's 6.

The thing with Bond is that he has a Scottish father and a Swiss mother. It's more believable now that the character could be black or mixed race than someone born in the Twenties or Thirties.

I wouldn’t have a problem if bond was female if it works. That means it needs to be a good film with strong characters and story. If it’s merely a forced gender political statement at the expense of character and story then that’s a problem.
I'm guessing the issue with a female Bond might actually be that your coming up against a potential backlash from both sides of the political spectrum.

Again the Bond character under Craig especially is shown as a very flawed person, he's fighting the "bad guys" obviously but uses women cynically and gets them killed. If you had a female various of that character would it go down very well with a lot of more nominally liberal audience and media?

Not to say I wouldn't want to see it, I'd agree it sounds like a very interesting way to rework Bond but I'd fear it would end up lacking in teeth for fear of the above.

I think many of you are misunderstanding why it is that fans of the James Bond films might not want a female James Bond. It's not because of a dislike of women in movies....It's because many 007 fans have a 'real image' in their head of who Bond is. Bond has been around so long that the character has become part of the fans folk lore & belief system.

When you drastically change that image by casting a female Bond, it then threatens their mental idea of who they thought Bond was. That's human nature. And it works in reverse too....find a movie or literature character that many women cherish and grew up with and then make a film with that character as a man and see if 'sh** don't hit the fan', cause it will. Make the next Jane Eyre movie with a man as Jane Eyre and see if women don't get pissed that Hollywood is treading on their cherished role models.

Film makers can make any movie, anyway they want. Fans can like it or hate it. That's just the way it is.

I think many of you are misunderstanding why it is that fans of the James Bond films might not want a female James Bond. It's not because of a dislike of women in movies....It's because many 007 fans have a 'real image' in their head of who Bond is. Bond has been around so long that the character has become part of the fans folk lore & belief system.

When you drastically change that image by casting a female Bond, it then threatens their mental idea of who they thought Bond was.
I think it's fans' knowledge of the character that's being challenged. They don't need to think about who Bond is, they already know. Especially if they've read the original novels. That's why Lazenby and Dalton are regarded more favourably by fans than they probably are by the wider audience.

I think it's fans' knowledge of the character that's being challenged. They don't need to think about who Bond is, they already know. Especially if they've read the original novels. That's why Lazenby and Dalton are regarded more favourably by fans than they probably are by the wider audience.
Agreed, that's more or less what I was trying to say.

If I was making the next Bond film and wanted a female lead, I would tell the story of another 00 agent. We know James Bond is agent #7, so why not a movie about one of his fellow agents?

Agreed, that's more or less what I was trying to say.

If I was making the next Bond film and wanted a female lead, I would tell the story of another 00 agent. We know James Bond is agent #7, so why not a movie about one of his fellow agents?
That's the counter argument. It's interesting actually that a female 00 agent has never been mentioned. Barbara Bach's The Spy Who Loved Me character was basically the Russian version of one.

I think what they could do is instead of making Bond a woman, just make another movie about a woman secret agent, but could have traits like Bond, such as using the opposite sex and getting them killed, and things like that. Could be interesting.

Make the next Jane Eyre movie with a man as Jane Eyre and see if women don't get pissed that Hollywood is treading on their cherished role models.

Film makers can make any movie, anyway they want. Fans can like it or hate it. That's just the way it is.
I wouldn't be upset if there was a male version of Jane Eyre or anything that is typically female..

I'm willing to accept change. I know some who aren't!

I feel sorry for those who have James Bond as their cherished role model.
Apparently, there are many!

People who use racism or political excuses are sad in my opinion. You will never accept change in any form if you think this way.

Perhaps its my age, who knows... but Im tired of hearing about racism or politics.

Let's talk about gender swap. .

Let's take the Danish film "Jagten",. remake it as an American film and have the accused being female and the child accuser being male. Wow, would that open a big bag of worms!