Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The New York Times (or The New Yorker) had to be on crack when they recommended this movie. Horrible. Atrocious. Boring.
I watched the trailer on this and wow, did it look like some kind of cheap exploitation film from the 60's (not there's anything wrong with that) but no, it's just a couple of years old. I will say that leading lady, Samantha Robinson, is beautiful!

The Visit (2015)

Between this and Split I'd say Shyamalan is definitely making a comeback. I loved the twist in this film. I've been meaning to get around to watching this film for a while now and I'm so glad I did. Never thought I'd say this line but this film has the scariest game of Yahtzee in it . Can't wait to see Glass.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Kenneth Branagh wins award for greatest mustache ever. Kenneth was the stand out performance in this obviously while the rest were just good or okay. Johnny Depp plays an ass which means he didn't do much acting so I can't really judge him here. I'm interested in seeing the sequel.

Mother! (2017)

This movie...did not go how I expected it to, like at all. I understood the allegory they were going for but that was after I was confused for a good solid hour. The cast was great though especially Javier Bardem. This movie is the true definition of insanity in the way it presents it's main allegory.

Watched They Live at a local arthouse theater. Great movie, third time I've seen it. But this experience was the best. 9/10

The Young Lions (1958)

A great film of its time with powerhouse performances. I think its about dis-affection for reasons why you support something. Christians' as he starts out so rapt believing in the goodness of the reich and its ways but realises that in practice they fall well short of his beliefs. Noah is quiet and effective who takes war as a fact and bullying as part and parcel of his life, resist how he may. Great performances from Brando, the beautiful Montgomery Clift with Deano showing good support. 8/10.

There was way too much turning it up for the whispered dialogue and turning it down for the surround-sound orchestra.

Friday the 13th Part III -

anyone else think these movies are a little repetitive
Fell into lazy film making. When you ride it like Seabiscuit it generally does.

The hallmark of a good sports movie is when it makes you cheer for the star/team, and 'Eddie the Eagle' certainly had that effect on me. It's no way a great movie, but a thoroughly enjoyable sports flick.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Hard to watch! I liked, very good Visconti movie.
I'm sure it will be even better on a rewatch!

I have that feeling, too. Why was it hard for you to watch?

“I was cured, all right!”
I have that feeling, too. Why was it hard for you to watch?

WARNING: "The Damned" spoilers below
That guy molesting a child was hard to see, I really hate this kind of person (monsters), it looked a bit real the way putted his hand on her, his desire looked real. Then, we have that 'incest' scene, disgusting, repulsive, I thing I was too focused in the movie that everything felt real. That's a very good thing, 'cause I believe it was the intention to be hard to watch.

“I was cured, all right!”
Another thing that contributed to this feeling was the 'nazi' theme and that cold blooded family (bastards). When I start to think that this story could had happen for real... Damn, it's scary.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Monster Hunt wasn't as bad as I expected. The special-effects definitely lacked polish in some respects, on one-hand, while they appropriately added shadows and it actually looked like they were actually standing where they were at, certain other details like how the monsters never tracked dirt during fights stood out to me. The story was cheesy and cliche, but it also had a certain absurdity and charming innocence I think is worth singling out.

The Godfather (1972)

I have begun my re-watch binge of the Godfathers. I was only able to get to the first one last night as it's almost 3 hours. I'm gonna be getting to Part 2 and 3 today. I just wanna state right off the bat that these are not my favorite gangster films, but they are by no means bad at all. Marlon Brando is fantastic. Pacino, Caan, Duvall and the rest are great as well, but I will admit the horse head scene makes no logical sense and I've never liked it. These films have always been a romanticized Hollywood version of gangsters, making them out to be men of honor when in reality these kind of real life gangsters were very few and far between.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Another thing that contributed to this feeling was the 'nazi' theme and that cold blooded family (bastards). When I start to think that this story could had happen for real... Damn, it's scary.
The scene (in the movie poster) was off-putting, but a part of their history...

If there is a Visconti thread, I'd like to see how you rank them

Anna Karenina (1935)

It looks great and has a beautiful musical score. I love Frederic March and it has a lot of elements of a movie I'd go for. I was just a bit cold on Greta Garbo and thought it felt rushed.

2017 Murder On the Orient Express
3 out of 5.

Still it is a well crafted AC mystery, studded with stars of this day, wandering over exotic foreign terrain; and probably more to be enjoyed by those unfamiliar with the 74 (and other) version(s). For me, the earlier film remains a mystery classic, and the one I would watch again.
Nice review, LL. I enjoyed Depp's brief performance. It was nice seeing him play something besides an effete pirate..

I agree with your points. The film felt lackluster, yet the tech stuff was good. But Branagh's idiotic fakey mustache almost ruined the entire movie for me..

~Doc