Casting the New Doctor Who

Tools    

In my opinion Kris Marshall would have been awful in the role so almost anybody else is fine by me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
And some people are losing their mind. Personally, I'm interested to see how it goes. Something tells me she'll do just fine.

Unless a riot breaks out and they start demanding a gender swap of the gender swap.
Ha. I was just coming in to ask if people were freaking out about this. Not a Dr Who fan but would probably check this out for a bit just to see what they do with it.

And some people are losing their mind. Personally, I'm interested to see how it goes. Something tells me she'll do just fine.
So far it seems pretty mellow from what I've seen, it hasn't gone the way of say the all female Ghostbusters when it comes to the hate. Seems to be a minority that are having hissy fits over it.

It does actually look like the hate would have come if Kris Marshall was cast, apparently a lot of Doctor Who fans absolutely hated that rumour and were worrying that he had got the role.

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
I've Been a fan for nearly 14 years (Have seen every existing story both out of order and as one big marathon, And I've sat through photo reconstructions of most of the missing ones...) and at this point with them changing Showrunners I Was very apprehensive about a Female Doctor...I thought it would be too big a risk in terms of turning the show around and that it would come across as cheap to do it right off the bat because it would imply they didnt have faith in there production and would need a gimmick to make it fly. as each Showrunner at this point usually gets 2 doctors in there tenure I was thinking that the 13th should be a more traditional option and then the 14th would be brilliant as a female role because as a viewer I'd be settled into the style and tone they were deciding to go for allowing them to subvert my expectations and take there style from a different angle...

tonight to me has very much come across as stunt casting...and I think thats not going to end very well...I was trying to keep my head up and was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but at this point the absolutely vile comments I've read from quite large swathe of the "Who" fan community who have equated anything less than 100% getting behind the idea that the Doctor should be female as deep routed mysoginy and sexism has pretty much killed any enthusiasm I could have for this its just sucked the fun right out of the concept...

I didnt want to think this was being made to be a political thing but people have seemingly decided to make it so...and because I dont belong to either the "Just say no to a female doctor" or the "The Doctor should have always been female if you dont agree you might as well be a woman beater" groups Im honestly considering just sitting her time out and catching up once shes gone...there are audio adventures that run into the hundreds that I havent listened to from Big finish so I wouldnt exactly be going cold turkey...this whole thing just erupted into a hot mess and Im not going to pick a side... (Sorry for the mini rant...its been a long day and I need a lie down) xD

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think a lot will depend on how the new series is written. I hope that this new regeneration provides the show with a - well, regeneration. This latest season was quite good (the episode before last one of the best in a long long time), and Bill was much better than I thought she would be, but I didn't even watch all the previous two seasons - and that's not down to any dislike of the casting. It just got too convoluted and a little dull, and made too much of its own mythology, all the time. I'm not a Moffat-hater by any means, I think he's a smart writer who has done a good job with two of the best shows on television over the last few years, but he does have a tendency to get a bit too carried away with his own cleverness and lose sight of the straight-forward fun. Capaldi is a good actor but his doctor was quite harsh compared to the previous three and the storylines more sombre.

Where it could go wrong would be in them insisting on making a joke out of the Doctor being a woman all the time, that would get tiresome. I also worry that all commentary and criticism will view the show in terms of her femaleness - e.g. if she's too capable people will complain (like when Rey was a bit good with a lightsaber), if she has to be saved by a male companion, it will be sexist etc. etc.

I also worry that all commentary and criticism will view the show in terms of her femaleness - e.g. if she's too capable people will complain (like when Rey was a bit good with a lightsaber)
I think that was more about the speed at which both she and Finn were able to cope with a trained Force-user; okay he was injured. Finn's skills are more in question but I liked the fact that Rey was so in touch with the Force that she was quite capable of matching Kylo Ren.

I've only seen one single episode of the entire series so I can't really comment, but unless the Doctor being male is essential to the character - like, his penis is some sort of key that unlocks a portal - I don't see why it matters? I think it's a valid concern that the writing might suffer, because yeah, it would suck if they make the whole female thing some overblown gimmick in the actual show. But no one really knows yet if that will happen, do they?

I've only seen one single episode of the entire series so I can't really comment, but unless the Doctor being male is essential to the character - like, his penis is some sort of key that unlocks a portal - I don't see why it matters? I think it's a valid concern that the writing might suffer, because yeah, it would suck if they make the whole female thing some overblown gimmick in the actual show. But no one really knows yet if that will happen, do they?
It actually unlocks the Tardis but you were close enough

I'm certainly going to watch this just to see the internet implode. People are losing their poopies over this at the moment

This is a lady by the name of Nancy Wake. The nazis called her 'The White Mouse' and she topped the gestapo's most wanted list of resistance fighters during World War II. She once cycled 500 km in 71 hours to deliver codes to the resistance saving thousands of lives. She once killed an SS officer with her bare hands so that he couldn't raise an alarm. And she once parachuted into France, got tangled in tree branches and when her French rescuer looked up and said "if only all the trees could bear such beautiful fruit" she replied "Don't give me any of that French ****". And upon being cut down successfully coordinated a 7000-strong resistance group of fighters against German positions.
So ...and I'm just going to put this out there... I think a woman can handle the f******* Tardis.
lool

I'm certainly going to watch this just to see the internet implode. People are losing their poopies over this at the moment

This is a lady by the name of Nancy Wake. The nazis called her 'The White Mouse' and she topped the gestapo's most wanted list of resistance fighters during World War II. She once cycled 500 km in 71 hours to deliver codes to the resistance saving thousands of lives. She once killed an SS officer with her bare hands so that he couldn't raise an alarm. And she once parachuted into France, got tangled in tree branches and when her French rescuer looked up and said "if only all the trees could bear such beautiful fruit" she replied "Don't give me any of that French ****". And upon being cut down successfully coordinated a 7000-strong resistance group of fighters against German positions.
So ...and I'm just going to put this out there... I think a woman can handle the f******* Tardis.

lool
Where did you find that Dani?

Where did you find that Dani?
I saw the post on fb but mofo doesnt seem to like fb photos so I googled her photo and copied the text. Stunning photograph.

I saw the post on fb but mofo doesnt seem to like fb photos so I googled her photo and copied the text. Stunning photograph.
Yes it is.

LOL. I thought she was crying.