The Conjuring

Tools    

Damn fine coffee! And hot!
I saw The Conjuring at the movies and although I enjoyed it, I understand why people think it's over-hyped. The problem is that it didn't bring anything new to the table, a common issue with horror films these days.

It did most things very well, but I think serious horror fans are wanting something new and different - I know I am. The problem is, how else can directors scare us? What stories haven't been used?

I think it's really hard for horror films to be original now.

Finished here. It's been fun.
^ I completely agree man. There's very little a horror film can do to truly be considered original or unique these days. I found Cabin in The Woods to be a very fresh take on the genre, I highly enjoyed that film.

A system of cells interlinked
This was above average for the genre, but I agree that it was a bit over-hyped. It fell back on jump scares a bit too often for my taste. That said, the camerawork was well-done, and the film did try to build tension with at least some suspense, and didn't rely completely on startling the viewer. The cast was good, as well. Not a ton of sub-text to chew on, either...

Ashdoc's review---

Still the film does deliver some doses of terror---and we do need them once in while don't we.....

Verdict---decent enough .
I would agree, "decent enough," is the best way to describe this movie. I was really excited to see this, as I loved Insidious (horribly, and I can't stress how horribly disappointed I was by Insidious 2. Insidious 2 tried SO hard that if you actually take the continuing story into account, it can actually ruin the first Insidious movie. I mean think about it, a sequel has to be REALLY terrible if it can ruin the prequel for you.....got off on a rant there ala Dennis Milller....). Anyways.....I enjoyed watching the conjuring because as a horror movie, it was technically very "mature." It tried to emulate the feel of a 60s,70s type haunting/ghost movie, was very well acted, there was a decent enough(thank you ashdoc) story, and I did want to know how it ended. The only thing this movie was missing was......the actual scary/horror element. My sister recently decided to see this on Itunes and asked me what I thought and I said, "It's a pretty good movie, its just not scary." To which she gave me a furrowed brow, but to each his/her own. So yeah, decent movie, just not scary. And I don't know if I am saying this because its true, or the industry just doesn't make good scary/horror movies anymore. In recent years, Insidious was probably the most entertaining horror movie I have seen(that comes to mind at the moment), before that, I think my "modern day standard," was set with THE DESCENT, and I was waiting for a new king to take the throne, and so came Insidious. But I am hard to please, this year I was really disappointed with Lords of Salem, as I absolutely loved Devil's Rejects, and was also saddened with You're Next. Cabin in the Woods was great, truly great, but not in a horror genre type of way, as commentary of the genre and self-aware satire yes.

Conjuring-- 3 out of 5, worth a watch via rental.

A system of cells interlinked
See, I thought Insidious was a let down, especially the last act. The Conjuring was a step up from any of this guy's previous works, IMO, but still not as great as what people had been saying. I did like the first 35 mins or so of Insidious though, which was well done. I am curious to see what this guy does next!

See, I thought Insidious was a let down, especially the last act. The Conjuring was a step up from any of this guy's previous works, IMO, but still not as great as what people had been saying. I did like the first 35 mins or so of Insidious though, which was well done. I am curious to see what this guy does next!
Believe me I know my tastes different from many so I can see why you see Insidious as a let down, for me, nothing beats 80s horror movies, I can watch the original The Thing over and over again like its a new movie. When I came to see Insidious for the first time, as I mentioned earlier, I had been watching really disappointing horror movies, for me that and noir are my favorite genres. So when I saw Insidious it was breath of fresh air for me, the idea of haunting wasn't new by any means, but the idea of astro projecting into a nether realm, that closely resembled (or atleast how i picture it from reading) the inferno from The Divine Comedy was cool, and I liked the whole whispering into the elongated gas mask, etc, it had some very cool elements in my book.

BUT SEDAI!!!! I know you are interested in this guy's next project! HE is currently directing and filming the new FAST and FURIOUS7!!! I know you can't wait lol

Oh no! Say it ain't so, man! I will have to skip that one!

Also - LOVE The Thing (1982)
unfortunately it is so brother, so we will have to see if after this F&F7 if Mr. Wan gets swept away into the car/action genre bliss that breeds such fiduciary success. The success of those movies boggle my mind, not in the most obvious sense, but more in a chicken before the egg sense. As in what came first, mass audiences that love sub par action movies, or the studios that produced them. In a sense its hard to blame the industry for making such bad movies, if nobody went to see them, I like to believe they would stop being made, good ole economics 101....supply and demand....

I would like to see more movies around the lives of Ed and Lorraine Warren. I think that what the do is extremely interesting, not that I want anything to do with that watching it on tv is enough for me. LOL
Unfortunately, their thing has been pretty much used up by a dozen or so "reality" series on cable channels with various ghosthunters and paranormal investigators.

The Conjuring is probably as close as we will get to them in the movies for a while. It's unfortunate, because their experiences would make for an interesting movie.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
The Conjuring is worth watching once in theatres, it gives satisfaction for every penny