How Much Did You Like the Movie Forrest Gump?

Tools    

It's designed to show that he's honest and feels no need to embellish anything. He's simply recounting what he saw and heard, not dressing it up or putting on any pretense about it. It doesn't occur to him to alter it.

Ahh I loved that movie

Héhé ,this person is not so happy with the movie.
Interesting interpretation but verry pescimistic though.

I enjoyed the movie but I dislike Tom Hanks immensely so it took away from it for me!

Tom Hanks doesn't didn't bother me until recently - mainly with his much hyped The Pacific, so I am still a big fan of Forest Gump.

I recently rewatched this, and my feelings for it haven't changed. But did anyone else find this reoccurring bit annoying?
No

Truthfully I thought it was a great film with how it covered vietnam, the 70's era , and many other large historical artifacts. However the storyline itself: Forrest Gump most definetly did not experience all of those events in his life which makes it completely ridiculous and over the top. Acting was quite appropriate yet. Overall: It's still a great film to watch but with a poor storyline.

What do you mean he didn't experience all of those events in his life? Did you think the film was based on a real person or something? Of course he experienced all of those things. It was all part of his journey to finally come to try and understand what life is.

But was the book any good?
The book actually is different from the film in many ways, more over the top in many ways, and contains details that helps explain some of the things in the film. One being that in the book, instead of looking like Tom Hanks, Forrest is a really big guy, which makes more sense when he jumps the guy making out with his girlfriend in the VW and when he pounds the drunk in the strip club. And although slow, Forrest isn't dumb and in the book he resents it when he cuts the neighbor's grass and the neighbor gives him like 25 cents in payment. Neighbor thinks Forrest doesn't know the difference, but Forrest knows and it hurts his feelings that the neighbor would treat him that way.

One thing I liked in the book--Forrest doesn't become a shrimper. Instead, he follows through on Bubba's idea of building "shrimp farms", where they raise shrimp in areas a lot like rice paddies (but without the rice, of course). Then when the hurricane wipes out the shrimping fleet, Forrest is sitting there with millions of farm-grown shrimp. Now that just makes more sense, even if it does cheat Capt. Dan out of his confrontation with God.

On that subject, in the book Forrest's company isn't ambushed by the Viet Cong. They see the Cong out in front of them some distance and call in an air strike. Unfortunately the Air Force gets their signals crossed and bomb the American position. As Forrest explains, "When he saw what we'd do to our own troops, Charlie decided to run away."

In the book, Forrest meets only one celebrity--Chinese Chairman Mao, who he saves from drowning. He also becomes an astronaut in an adventure that involves an orangatang and the ivy-school educated chief of a cannibal tribe on a Pacific isle.

The second book is a hoot, too, a take-off on the movie and what happens afterward. The film was cute and interesting, but not nearly as biting or with the black humor of the books. I liked the film when I saw it in a movie theater years ago--especially that floating feather in the opening credits--and bought a tape of it but have never watched the tape or TV showings.

I don't think that guy saw the same movie I did. If so, maybe he should watch it again without carrying on a conversation with his buddies and only occasionally glancing at the screen

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Oh crud. I wasn't going to bother to even address "Relevant" because the guy did actually watch the movie, but his agenda was anti-reality far more than the movie was. Some of the people who like the movie actually have considered a "little bit" of what the author says but we flew it as revisionism almost immediately.

Welcome to the human race...
Curse your collective inability to take my bait.

It would've been a bit more interesting to find out that Forrest was a genuinely unreliable narrator though.

What do you mean he didn't experience all of those events in his life? Did you think the film was based on a real person or something? Of course he experienced all of those things. It was all part of his journey to finally come to try and understand what life is.

Well don't you think it even just a bit ridiculous that he is involved in every single historical event through the 50's-the 80's? and to add onto that.. There is no way that Forrest Gump ran that far in his life with no money or anything. I also believe that even during vietnam they didn't hire mentally retarded people to fight in combat..

A system of cells interlinked
He wasn't retarded... and yes, it was a bit ridiculous.