Best fitting song in a movie

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The Score for Requiem For a Dream is a masterpiece in its own. Simply the best score out there. For the Best movie out there.

B&W
Gangstaz Paradise by Coolio for the start of Dangerous Minds.

I used to like the guitar tune in Broken Arrow when one of the bad guys says "Mabye the Son of a B#tch is dead." and then John Travolta appears over a mound replying "What a horrible thing to say".
But now when I see it, it seems, well, pretty cheesy!

Peace,

You're a Genius all the time
Okay, I already mentioned this over in the Baker's Dozen Thread (which I recently brought to a screeching halt) but I just watched The Life Aquatic last night and I still can not get over how fantastic that "Life On Mars" scene is. Ned (Owen Wilson) approaches Steve (Bill Murray) to tell him he's his long-lost son. "Life on Mars" is slowly cued as Steve politely excuses himself. Bowie starts singing about cavemen in dance halls as Steve walks the length of his boat, lights up and takes a few ridiculously long drags. The music abruptly ends, Steve walks back to his apparent son (still waiting patiently) and proceeds to utter one of my favorite movie lines ever. A perfectly used song in a perfect scene in a perfect film.

"Sorry about that, you kinda caught me with one foot off the merry-go-round tonight."

The ending of Wicker Park and the incroyable Coldplay!

The Cable Guy: Somebody to Love by the artist formerly known as Jim Carrey

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have to go pick up my daughter now, but the entire soundtrack of American Graffiti is pretty much placed perfectly into the movie, commenting about the specific action while remaining unobtrusive if you don't get it. Maybe when I get home, I'll check out YouTube and see if they have some examples of what I'm talking about.

Until then...

The Blues Brothers: Think by the Goddess Aretha.

Love the song East Hastings by 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor' at the start of 28 Weeks Later and end of 28 Days Later

pretty much all wes anderson movies have perfectly fitting soundtracks, but royal tenenbaums is prob my fave i like me and julio down by the school yard- paul simon and stephanie says- velvet underground

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This isn't really what I was thinking of for American Graffiti, but "Do You Want to Dance?" is a great song to have playing behind two duelling macho hot rodders, John Milner (Paul Le Mat) and Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford).

I still haven't found what I wanted [Big Bopper doing the intro to "Chantilly Lace" (Hello, Baby!) when Terry finds the stolen car and comes face to face with the thieves.) But this section uses "Book of Love", "Maybe Baby" and "Ya Ya", and it contains some classic scenes. (Well, the entire movie contains "classic scenes". )

Of course, "Green Onions" playing during the final Milner-Falfa drag may be the best piece of music in the whole movie.

I was once waiting a very long time - centered in a continuously cinematic courtship of the same 'ol, same 'ol - to really... swallow some salt, and in single moment, it happened; it suddenly occurred in a film I hadn't expected it to belong to. "Mr. Brooks" was far from extraordinary - from its diluted devices, or minute mechanisms, to its over-the-top, old-fashioned surprises. Then, the ending arrived, aiming to arm my senses with any distinction it might have, at any point, failed to deliver 90 minutes before. The song was by The Veils, and it struck these senses with an extremely sharp message (what exactly remains uncertain). I'd rarely felt the theater treat me so enormously. I thought my body belonged to the wings of some beautiful butterfly. I had a ridiculously free form of flight, emotionally. I love when the wait turns into something that rewarding. It's powerful stuff.

You know what I'm talking about. That song that plays in the background that just matches so perfectly it makes you smile.
Naturally, I'm gonna reach back in the ancient past beyond today's pop Top 40, because those are the films and music I know best and I keep hoping it will inspire some of you to take a look at films shot decades before you were born.

Talk about near perfect use of music in a film and I immediately think of "Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spake Zarathustra)" as the main theme of 2001: A Space Odessey. Also "The Blue Danube" as a background to the spaceship docking scene.

Walt Disney's Fantasia also had a perfect match between film and music, especially for "A Night on Bald Mountain" and "Ave Maria Op.52 No. 6."

In The Glenn Miller Story the main theme was a lesser known song that he had recorded, "Too Little Time," but it wasn't played in the Glenn Miller style. That same song later was effectively used as the theme for the 1964 remake of The Killers.

And who could forget the zither theme from The Third Man?

Dr. Strangelove had two great movie-music matches--the mid-air refueling of a Strategic Air Command bomber as an orchestra plays "Try a Little Tenderness" and the unforgettable final scenes of H-bomb explosions while a background chorus sings the old World War II hit, "We'll Meet Again."

Equally unforgetable and very much a part of the picture with its clock-like beat was Dimitri Tiomkin's arrangement of "High Noon" from the movie of the same name.

Roger Miller's delightful recording of "Ballad Of Waterhole #3 (Code Of The West)" also served as a narative to move that comedy Western along, as did "The Ballad of Cat Ballou" in Cat Ballou.

And don't forget Frankie Laine singing the 3:10 to Yuma theme song in the original film!

The best use of a song in a film is, in my opinion, Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come in the heart of The Harder They Come. Maybe I shouldn't mention it as it is by the star/soundtrack composer of the movie, but I don't think that there's any other song that so drives and defines a movie while sounding so damn great.

Iggy Pop's Lust For Life in Trainspotting

Clannad's I Will Find You in The Last of the Mohicans

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The opening to Star Wars.

Just hear it in your head . . . .smile . . . . .then see some yellow words rise majestically, setting off that movie-drenalin you need to watch IV-VI in one sitting.

You're a Genius all the time
The opening to Star Wars.

Just hear it in your head . . . .smile . . . . .then see some yellow words rise majestically, setting off that movie-drenalin you need to watch IV-VI in one sitting.
Of course The Star Wars theme fits like a glove in Star Wars. Of course. But that probably has more to do with it being a piece of score written with that part of the film specifically in mind than George's ability to place pre-existing songs in just the right spot of his films. This thread is meant to be about pieces of music the filmmaker chose to stick in their film, not something written for the movie.

But yeah, Star Wars certainly does rock.

I am half agony, half hope.
"Anyone Else But You" in Juno

"Under Pressure" from Grosse Pointe Blank

Johann von Goethe