Acting performances that surprised you

Tools    

• Eva Green, knew she could act, but in Penny Dreadful season1, she was off the charts!
  • Tom Cruise, Tropic Thunder
  • Robin Williams, One Hour Photo
  • Will Smith, Six Degrees of Separation

• Eva Green, knew she could act, but in Penny Dreadful season1, she was off the charts!
  • Tom Cruise, Tropic Thunder
  • Robin Williams, One Hour Photo
  • Will Smith, Six Degrees of Separation

Big second to Cruise and Williams

This might just do nobody any good.
I think I was more fond of that show than most people; I agree that it reached a height during the seance scene in season 1 that it just couldn’t manage after and a big part of that Green giving all of herself to it.

I think I was more fond of that show than most people; I agree that it reached a height during the seance scene in season 1 that it just couldn’t manage after and a big part of that Green giving all of herself to it.
Heard that about s2, so I stopped watching after the first season.

I saw a little bit of The Fighter last night, the bit where the mother and her daughters all pile into the car and go for a 'rumble'. I was wondering who it was playing the mother and, having recently seen The Equalizer 2, I worked out it was Melissa Leo. I'm not familiar with her other work but she can act alright .

Melissa Leo was great in The Fighter, even won an Oscar for it, but her performance didn't surprise me. The performance in that movie that surprised me came from Amy Adams...eye opening work.

Melissa Leo was great in The Fighter, even won an Oscar for it, but her performance didn't surprise me.
I liked the way it was so markedly different to her character in The Equalizer films as to make me really wonder who the actor was. That's a proper character actor so I look forward to seeing her (or not seeing her ) again.

The performance in that movie that surprised me came from Amy Adams...eye opening work.
Yeah, I think it's one of the earliest times I saw Amy Adams – I've seen bits of The Fighter before – and she's great. It's funny to see her in something like Julie and Julia and then see her roughing it up as Charlene. Eye opening is right – great actor and great-looking with it.