Should Ridley Scott Just Stop Making Movies?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
He's made some great movies, Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are great movies in my opinion but in the last 10 years;

Kingdom of Heaven- Critically slammed, sitting at around 34% on RT (although I really like it)

A Good Year- Critical and commercial failure.

American Gangster- Ok but felt like a could have been better. Commercial success.

Body of Lies- Mess of a film, Another Critical and commercial failure.

Robin Hood- Awful film, critical failure and commercial disappointment.

Prometheus- Performed well commercially, Critically did ok, felt very underwhelming compared to Alien movies.

The Counselor- Critical and Commercial failure.

Exodus: Gods and Kings- Early reviews are average. Another failure?

Ridley Scott is nearly 80 and he doesn't look like he's going to make anything great again so should he retire?

I agree with everything in the first post. He's made some masterpieces and his filmography is incredibly disparate... but I've said for a long time, that he's becoming stale and a director for hire.

Kinda like George Lucas.

Unlike Lucas though, Scott hasn't realised it's time to either wind his neck in or quit.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Pains me to say, but probably. He has made some of my favorite films though. It would be nice to get one last thoroughly great film.

I don't know; I thought American Gangster was pretty awesome. It's easy to say someone should retire at that age, but if that's his passion and what keeps him going, god bless him.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
American Gangster and Gladiator are great. Tony Scott was superior though, but at least Ridley made two food ones. I have not seen Alien or Blade Runner yet astonishingly.

If people keep giving him money to make movies, then more power to him. I have no intention of seeing his latest. But the director of Blade Runner gets a pass from me--even if he did make the bloody awful Gladiator.

American Gangster and Gladiator are great. Tony Scott was superior though, but at least Ridley made two food ones. I have not seen Alien or Blade Runner yet astonishingly.
After you've seen those two, you'll realize that Ridley in his prime was far superior to his brother.

In my opinion the man who made the greatest movie of all-time has the right to make movies in his grave.

Well, Alien at #1 is almost redeemable...it's just the others apart from 8th and 10th shoot it down beyond redemption.

He's flushing his reputation down the toilet with his Bible Epics with much Hollywood fiction. I couldnt even finish Noah, I couldnt even get to the flood.

Edit In - Yeah I F'd up. Arnofsky directed Noah, my bad.

He's flushing his reputation down the toilet with his Bible Epics with much Hollywood fiction. I couldnt even finish Noah, I couldnt even get to the flood.
Are you talking about Aronofsky now?

Master of My Domain
Noah was awesome... the focus on the movie is not on the bible itself but many philosophical/psychological themes. I admire Arofonsky for his braveness in experimenting with the bible.

About Ridley Scott I don't think we should say he should stop making films because of a few rotten ones- movies such as Alien and Gladiator are landmarks.