Raised by Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBO)

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Ep 10 appears to be the season/series finale. Can’t wait to hear everyone else’s reaction. I feel like the Motha/Danzig connection is complete. So weird.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Trying to watch episode 10. It'll play the recap and the preview stuff and then stops and says it can't play this title right now--please try again a little later. Happened half a dozen times in a row so I'm giving up till later! Arrrgh!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It's out in the AM?? I just assumed it was made available at precisely the time I get home, eat, and turn on my PS4. SO WEIRD!?

you BOTH have already watched it?!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

without commentary, can either of you provide a Commodus reaction?

(commentary is fine. just tag that mofo. thought i'll probably still read it. the more obstacles in the way, the less the temptation. on the other hand, the more obstacles, the more taunting the read. like NOT pulling tape on wrapped christmas gifts (while mom was still at work) from grandma that arrived 2 weeks before the big day. hm. DD? you're not mom are you? MOTHER!! OMG I CAN'T HELP ITasfdgg [missing end parenthesis punctuation]

*edit for parenthetical addition
**edit edit to add "end parenthesis" to previously edited edit.
sigh.

o.O

*** parent-theocratical?!?!?!?

WARNING: "What a mess" spoilers below

I didn’t want to do a bashing the show post, but I’ve come to my senses.

How much s*** do we really need going on at one time?

- Mother and the demon baby. A giant flying eel at that.

- Outlaw Paul. Hearing voices man. Going to the top of the mountain. Shoot your mother, not your mother. Ooooh, yeeaaah! (read in the vocal stylings of Randy “Macho Man” Savage

- The sperm and egg imagery. Thanks. We all knew that falling in the pit didn’t result in death (Mouse and Tali). Now we are gonna have Pet Cemetery Mother and Father.

- Father’s character just keeps getting worse.

- Snake arm kid

- Marcus being force fed an eye of destruction. He already had enough going on. Now he has veins popping out of his face and he is gonna be the woman from the Richard Pryor Superman movie that got sucked into the machine.

- Another faction of humans

- The evolution/de-evolution thing. My original thought had always been the creatures were human at one time.

I’m typing this on mobile, if I had a keyboard I would probably do another couple hundred words.

The first episodes had so much promise, I don’t know how we got here. How much is RS involved with this? It seems to follow in the path he established with his recent movies. Let’s get messy.

Trying to watch episode 10. It'll play the recap and the preview stuff and then stops and says it can't play this title right now--please try again a little later. Happened half a dozen times in a row so I'm giving up till later! Arrrgh!
I have problems with the recap/title sequence. Even worse when I hook up to the t.v. Freezes a lot trying to skip through that title sequence.

It's out in the AM?? I just assumed it was made available at precisely the time I get home, eat, and turn on my PS4. SO WEIRD!?

you BOTH have already watched it?!

East coasters marginalized by the western elites. Thursday doesn’t start until 3 am.

... like NOT pulling tape on wrapped christmas gifts (while mom was still at work) from grandma that arrived 2 weeks before the big day. hm. DD? you're not mom are you? MOTHER!! OMG I CAN'T HELP ITasfdgg [missing end parenthesis punctuation]

*edit for parenthetical addition
**edit edit to add "end parenthesis" to previously edited edit.
sigh.

o.O

*** parent-theocratical?!?!?!?
That pulling tape reference hit too close to home. Do I already have a neuralink? Are you in my head?

I have problems with the recap/title sequence. Even worse when I hook up to the t.v. Freezes a lot trying to skip through that title sequence.
I made it through all the pre-show stuff and then it quit. No title sequence, etc. Obviously the previews for other shows and the recap are separate "bits" because it goes black and then I get the playback error message. Will try later once I get a little bit of work done. So much for my clever procrastination technique.

Finally got to watch that episode 10 season finale.

EGAD.

Just...

EGAD.

How high were the show writers when they hatched this sulfurous egg? Honestly, @doubledenim, I think you hit all the salient non-salient points in your spoiler-tagged post. I lost count of how many times I yelled "WHAAAA?" during this episode, especially at the tail end.

So, we get all this weird mythology and story world crap... but not nearly enough to make any actual sense of anything? Why was Mother having those weird visions of cloaked humanoids and that person/thing trapped in a 3D octagon sauna ball? I mean, c'mon! And if it wasn't their creator who implanted that baby, then WHO OR WHAT DID?

I don't mind season cliffhangers, USUALLY, but I've been burned enough in the past (CARNIVALE AGAIN, PEOPLE!) to know that, if this show tanks enough to never have a season 2, I'm going to be even MORE pissed than I am at having to wait for these answers if there IS a season 2. Because there were TOO many cliffhangers and unanswered questions. Too. Many. On various levels of the plot and the story's backstory.

Honestly. I gotta go watch some Monty Python or something as a palate cleanser.

*cracks knuckles*
looks like ima hafta watch this'n come awn back n 'splain some things t'night!

lol.

seriously though. I'm mentally wtfing reading both your posts rofl with all the WEIRD things you're describing. i can't EVEN imagine what this episode is going to be like now!!!. i love this thread!

Texting with me ol’ sissy today about our phone call later. I was so excited to talk about this show, because Shirley she had given up on it. “Oh no, we can’t do that. I’m only on ep. 4.”

I remember being on ep. 4. All bright-eyed and eager...

Texting with me ol’ sissy today about our phone call later. I was so excited to talk about this show, because Shirley she had given up on it. “Oh no, we can’t do that. I’m only on ep. 4.”

I remember being on ep. 4. All bright-eyed and eager...
Ah, the good old days when we were all young and naive and full of hope!

Ha! YESSSSssssssssss ...!!!
Well. That got slippery, fast!! I have NO idea what I just experienced but I think I loved it if just for the pure "waaaaaaaah-huh?" of it all.

I need to digest this a good long while. Before commenting.

[Insert Joe Dirt Daaaaaang here]

NO! don't read. a. THING! this series must be ...experienced. You will have to go all in for this one, I'm afraid. don't hold back and just let go.

I wonder what the experience would be like without waiting a week for a new round, taking each episode back to back to back? I'm reading through our comments and I keep seeing spikes of disbelieve and shock but eagerness to continue. I wonder how the pacing would feel start to finish and if tonight's standalone episode would feel more in sync with the series over all? We were normally given what, 2 episodes a week? Could be a factor.

Also!
WARNING: "stuff" spoilers below
That there were tunnel/pits back in EP1, clearly the writers weren't improvising halfway in. All the seeds were sown and crops are starting to come up. Like the original children, though, I don't know if it's nourishment or radioactive. I did really enjoy the Mother/Father dynamics in the core of human relationships. Especially in tonight's episode. I do think they should have spread these last few plot points over previous episodes though. If this is really the season finale, then too much was introduced at the end. I will rewatch though soon, to see if there were clues I didn't pick up on. I mean, like the pits. The creatures did look humanoid, just on all fours. I half expected one of them to speak or at least pull a Gollum type of coughing talk, so the leap to devolving humanoid wasn't much to swallow. 86 the prisoner blood reversal, maybe cut tonight's flight to the core only to be flown back out by the cyber eel, and take out the band of human pirates whatever revelation at the end with the ship over head. Sans those oddities, I think the episode would be stronger. I get needing to give Father purpose, but that flight was a wasted effort and played cheesy with the whole "life before our android eyes" sequence.

This better not go the way of Carnivale. At least that run was resolved, barring the last few minutes. I agree that this one has far too many "wtfs?" dangling to let it die. HBO did renew Avenue 5 for another season. If that got picked up, there's hope!

After a rewatch, I'm tempted to visit the commentary shorts to see what doors those open. I hated stuff like that with GoTs, but this may be worth the effort.

Haven’t watched it yet.

Oh we know! IF you had, you could not have resisted the subliminal persuasions of Sol to come and commune with our small thread cult.

Oh we know! IF you had, you could not have resisted the subliminal persuasions of Sol to come and commune with our small thread cult.
This whole thread really made watching this show worthwhile. I'm not sure watching the show made watching the show worthwhile, but this thread did.

I may find time one of these days to sit and rewatch in proper binge style, to see if that pacing changes what I notice and what elements make sense.

But not today.
Or tomorrow.

This whole thread really made watching this show worthwhile. I'm not sure watching the show made watching the show worthwhile, but this thread did.

I may find time one of these days to sit and rewatch in proper binge style, to see if that pacing changes what I notice and what elements make sense.

But not today.
Or tomorrow.

rofl. I'll ignore part of that.

Yeah, I agree this thread was pretty great. No wild theorycrafting (I tihnk?) or building of expectations. Just... reactionary. And small. I kinda feel like @Austruck and @doubledenim and I deserve some kind of honorary title for our efforts and self control. At least we should all get robes and shades similar to the future "Dudes" in the original Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.