10 Bad Debut Movies Made By Great Directors

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Hey MoFos! I recently started writing for a movie website and this is my first article. As the title suggests, I went through the debut films of many famous directors and tried to pinpoint the worst ones.

Knowing that most of you here are huge movie buffs, I would appreciate any comments recommendations etc.

First impressions are important, but they don’t always tell the whole story, especially when it comes to cinema. Filmmaking is a tough business no matter how talented you are and even though everyone wants a crack at making the next Citizen Kane, if you are just starting out in the industry, chances are you are you going to have to pay your dues before you get there.

Many great directors have had a shaky start in their illustrious career for various reasons. Whether it came down to lack of experience, an endeavor to discover their personal style or simply because they had to make a living, a lot of household names have put their signature on films that they would probably like to erase from their resume and our minds.

To remind us that everyone strikes out sometimes, here are 10 horrible debut films by great directors.
The list is the following:

10. Alien³ – David Fincher
9. My Best Friend’s Birthday – Quentin Tarantino
8. A Fistful of Fingers – Edgar Wright
7. Murder à la Mod – Brian De Palma
6. Seizure – Oliver Stone
5. Grand Theft Auto – Ron Howard
4. Praying with Anger – M. Night Shyamalan
3. Caged Heat – Jonathan Demme
2. What’s Up, Tiger Lily? – Woody Allen
1. Piranha Part 2: The Spawning – James Cameron

Comments on each film are the link provided.

PS. @Yoda I hope this is ok.

Hey Jabs. Thanks for the heads-up. We do make some exceptions on self-promotion rules for regulars who we already know aren't just here to spam us. That said, we do usually ask that they reproduce/quote the article they're linking to, if they want to start discussion around it. Sound good?

Unregistered User
Hey MoFos! I recently started writing for a movie website and this is my first article. As the title suggests, I went through the debut films of many famous directors and tried to pinpoint the worst ones.

Knowing that most of you here are huge movie buffs, I would appreciate any comments recommendations etc.

PS. @Yoda I hope this is ok.

Good list Jabs.
I used to write for them too many years ago. See the featured articles at the side of your linked page? I made the Films about Loneliness one and the Psychological Thrillers article too.

Also answers to Jabba
Bad Taste by Peter Jackson.
For some reason they didn't let me include that one. I guess some folks there must really like it.

As for Kubrick's debut, although not good, I found it had a lot of redeeming qualities and was edged out by others.

Personally I also hated Pee Wee's Big Adventure but that might be highly subjective as it has a big cult following.