Han "Solo" film Under-Performs at Box-Office

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Yeah, I think maybe I'm not making myself clear. Every single movie has been a billboard for future merchandising. Understand? It's been that way from day one.
Yes, I understand. Every single movie has not simply been a billboard for future merchandising, however. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was extremely profitable by its box-office receipts alone. The reason that the "Solo" film could be cause for concern by Disney is the potential concern is that if they're damaging their brand, a correlation between declining ticket sales could parallel with merchandise sales. And, quite simply, just because they might make more money elsewhere, it doesn't mean they simply stop caring about the difference between Solo potentially failing to break even and Rogue One's multi-100 million-dollars in profit.

My main criteria for not going to see the Solo film is that Solo is DEAD! So, I'm not really interested in his younger adventures because I know how his life is going to turn out. I did enjoy the SWs prequels directed by Lucas. There were many factors: There hadn't been a SW movie in over fifteen years by the time The Phantom Menace came out and I was biting at the chomp to see this film. Even though I'm not a fan of prequels in general, I did want to know the story about the downfall of Anakin Skywalker. We hadn't really seen Anakin portrayed onscreen except by Sebastian Shaw briefly in Return of the Jedi, so I was interested in his story. And I really wanted to see Obi-Wan Kenobi in his younger years. A lot of factors made me want to see them. But Solo...I'll wait till the DVD comes out. Harrison Ford isn't playing him so I can't make a trip to the cinema to see someone play him as a younger man. Plus, Solo is DEAD!!!

I think lots of things went wrong for Solo. But I figure Disney is gonna make Spending changes on big budgets after POTC 5 and Solo. I think Star Wars is better done every 2 or 3 years a new film. I mean Avengers doesnt come out every year nor does Thor or Captaina America. Marvel has allot of properties so it seems like they can release so many a year. While Star Wars films are a bit more even special. I think SW does better like Avengers with gaps

Yes, I understand. Every single movie has not simply been a billboard for future merchandising, however. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was extremely profitable by its box-office receipts alone. The reason that the "Solo" film could be cause for concern by Disney is the potential concern is that if they're damaging their brand, a correlation between declining ticket sales could parallel with merchandise sales. And, quite simply, just because they might make more money elsewhere, it doesn't mean they simply stop caring about the difference between Solo potentially failing to break even and Rogue One's multi-100 million-dollars in profit.

Well, I'm not sure why we gotta disagree on the merchandising thing but no matter. In a few ways I think we're both sort of saying the same things. To me this is still just a timing issue. They had a pretty good formula there for a minute when they mostly were putting these out around Christmas but now if they plan to do 2 or 3 a year I guess that's out. That's why I don't think Solo being a massive success in its opening weekend is that big a deal. Disney knows that in the long term they will make they're money back even if ticket sales don't quite cover it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
When you take into account how little difference similar boycotts made to TFA and TLJ, it's hardly worth acknowledging whether they had any effect on Solo either, though I suppose you could argue that the lower box office earnings make the boycott's effect seem more noticeable even if it is a matter of both proportion and coincidence.
What boycott for TFA and TLJ? Why would there be a boycott for TFA? Yes there was a bit of grumbling post TFA, but the response from fans for TFA and R1 was overwhelmingly positive.

The boycott only started post TLJ release and Solo is the first chance to really see the boycott happening, unless you include lack of repeat viewings for TLJ.

The difference between Marvel and Star Wars is Marvel doesn't give you the same thing time after time so they can release four films in a year.

It also doesn't help that Solo is just so average especially after the wonderful Deadpool 2 (which I'm going to see again)

Welcome to the human race...
What boycott for TFA and TLJ? Why would there be a boycott for TFA? Yes there was a bit of grumbling post TFA, but the response from fans for TFA and R1 was overwhelmingly positive.

The boycott only started post TLJ release and Solo is the first chance to really see the boycott happening, unless you include lack of repeat viewings for TLJ.
I was thinking of the MRA group that claimed a "successful" $4m boycott of TFA simply because none of its main heroes were white guys, to say nothing of the people who https://news.avclub.com/white-suprem...g "anti-white". That's why I assumed any planned boycott for TLJ would just be more sour grapes than anything as opposed to people simply not liking it enough to do repeat viewings or whatnot.

It is ironic that Solo ends up suffering the most from any plans to boycott Star Wars considering that it's the one most explicitly dedicated to pleasing fans (to say nothing of how it's the only one where the main hero is a white guy). Not sure that boycotting it sends the right message, especially when the lacklustre response could just as easily be credited to people simply not wanting a Han Solo prequel in the first place.

So there were a couple of minor boycotts that were so insignificant they were almost the same as no boycott. Now though we have a massive boycott and I don't see that changing anytime soon under current leadership/direction.

If they were really dedicated to pleasing the fans they would leave these iconic characters alone and not make any prequels, apart from something like Boba Fett which can steer away from known characters.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Well, I'm not sure why we gotta disagree on the merchandising thing but no matter. In a few ways I think we're both sort of saying the same things. To me this is still just a timing issue. They had a pretty good formula there for a minute when they mostly were putting these out around Christmas but now if they plan to do 2 or 3 a year I guess that's out. That's why I don't think Solo being a massive success in its opening weekend is that big a deal. Disney knows that in the long term they will make they're money back even if ticket sales don't quite cover it.
I have an opinion. You have an opinion. Disagreeing is perfectly alright, mate. And I do think we're on a similar wavelength, I just think Solo was a massive disappointment and that Disney will likely not have a Solo sequel because it isn't worth the financial risk.

Quite a dire 2nd weekend. This thing is solidly on track to make a loss or be breakeven which is unthinkable.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Quite a dire 2nd weekend. This thing is solidly on track to make a loss or be breakeven which is unthinkable.
Agreed. The film dropped 65.2% from its opening weekend (which was already a very low weekend). This film now looks like it might even struggle to reach 400 million worldwide, which is bad for a film that needed around 650 million in-order to break even.

Emilia Clarke is box office poison

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The 2nd run theater took it off 3D, so maybe I will check it out this weekend. Makes me wonder if they use the same print/ file for both, or wut.

I was always gonna see it, but that cameo...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nobody wanted this film, but Disney ignored everyone cause they saw dollar signs. Now it's biting them in the ass and they've put every other non-skywalker Star Wars film on hold.

It's about QUALITY not QUANTITY. Which Disney purchasing EVERYTHING, they've seem to have forgotten that.

Suspect's Reviews

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I know it is a divisive topic, but I hope they take a decade to make Fett. His appeal to me is simple, he is just a badass. You can make the thinnest plot in the world as long as it is entertaining. I don't want some shoehorned stories, just a hunter and prey.

I would never watch a Boba Fett movie because he is my favorite Star Wars character and I could not bear to sit through an hour and a half of him being dragged through the mud for commercial proffits and plebian mainstream entertainment. Hollywood can not comprehend the mind of a quiet cold calculating killer.

Pfft, his badass credentials are wildly overstated in the first place and Star Wars is better off without some Venom-level nonsense about a dude whose most distinctive canonical action involves him getting sent flying into the side of a party boat.

I saw a post that pitched a Taika Waititi-directed Fett movie that's a slapstick comedy where he bumbles his way into having a badass bounty hunter reputation and that sounds about right.