Star Trek: Discovery

Tools    

So, much talk about the upcoming "Star Trek: Discovery."
I'm just hoping they don't use the ship that we've seen in some previews (a saucer with a giant triangle attached to it). The awfulness of this ship's look could rival that of the Enterprise in Next Generation!

If this is the actual ship, it is frighteningly bad looking.

I like simplicity, but this design is just too geometric and uncomfortable to look at. It lacks any sense of "personality."
And is it my imagination or is the triangle supposed to resemble the Federation logo (the "A" worn on original crew member's shirts) worked into the design?

It almost looks like a hybrid between the Federation ships (the saucer section) and the old Klingon battle cruisers - is that what it's supposed to be?

The most loathsome of all goblins
I'm annoyed by the idea of another prequel. Did they learn nothing from Star Trek: Enterprise? We need to move forward, not backward. I'm also not sure how I feel about Sonequa Martin-Green, and the casting seems suspiciously like they're trying to one-up the diverse casts of previous Trek shows. Look boys, we got ourselves a twofer!

That said I am excited to see Rain Wilson play Harry Mudd. I've always been amused by that character, and Wilson's take could be really good.

Wait, this is another prequel?

I thought this was going to be set even further in the future?
The premise I read, whether I'm confusing this with some other new series... was that far in the future, war has been averted or is long done with... the Federation is now fat and lazy, and just doing exploration... The BORG are dead, and the Vulcans, Klingons et al are now all doing their own thing.
Then a new enemy arises and threatens the entire fat lazy galaxy.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Wait, this is another prequel?

I thought this was going to be set even further in the future?
The premise I read, whether I'm confusing this with some other new series... was that far in the future, war has been averted or is long done with... the Federation is now fat and lazy, and just doing exploration... The BORG are dead, and the Vulcans, Klingons et al are now all doing their own thing.
Then a new enemy arises and threatens the entire fat lazy galaxy.
That sounds far better than what we're getting. Discovery will be set a decade before TOS, if I'm not mistaken.

At the very least we can look forward to uniforms with miniskirts. Or we better, if they gyp me on the miniskirts I'm gonna be pissed.

Just done some reading... Enterprise and TOS are set 150 years apart, so they've binned that further-future idea in favour of having a bridge series between Enterprise and TOS.
Probably looking at the half way mark tbh, around 75 years after Enterprise and 75 years before TOS.

I read that Star Trek Discovery, is a prequel set 10 years before the original Star Trek TV series. I'm guessing the ship is suppose to look more primitive than USS Enterprise NCC-1701 in STtos.

They never listen to my idea. I want a prequel set on the Enterprise with a young Captain Pike and a young Mr Spock as second officer. That's what I what.

I read that Star Trek Discovery, is a prequel set 10 years before the original Star Trek TV series. I'm guessing the ship is suppose to look more primitive than USS Enterprise NCC-1701 in STtos.

They never listen to my idea. I want a prequel set on the Enterprise with a young Captain Pike and a young Mr Spock as second officer. That's what I what.

Your wish is my star command...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
If this is the actual ship, it is frighteningly bad looking.

I like simplicity, but this design is just too geometric and uncomfortable to look at. It lacks any sense of "personality."
And is it my imagination or is the triangle supposed to resemble the Federation logo (the "A" worn on original crew member's shirts) worked into the design?

It almost looks like a hybrid between the Federation ships (the saucer section) and the old Klingon battle cruisers - is that what it's supposed to be?
Someone please tell me that the reports that say THIS is the design for the ship are wrong.
(Is this ghastly or what?)

That ship looks hideous, especially in the second image. Hopefully it will get destroyed early in the series, and we'll get a better looking ship.

I'm annoyed by the idea of another prequel. Did they learn nothing from Star Trek: Enterprise? We need to move forward, not backward. I'm also not sure how I feel about Sonequa Martin-Green, and the casting seems suspiciously like they're trying to one-up the diverse casts of previous Trek shows. Look boys, we got ourselves a twofer!

That said I am excited to see Rain Wilson play Harry Mudd. I've always been amused by that character, and Wilson's take could be really good.

I have no idea who Sonequa Martin-Green is, and I don't think I've seen Rain Wilson in anything, but I'm looking forward to seeing Harry Mudd again. He was a great character.

Rainn Wilson is a decent actor tbh... he can be really funny as well.
He was lead role in Super (2010) and played, funnily enough, one of the aliens in Trek parody Galaxy Quest.

Rainn Wilson is a decent actor tbh... he can be really funny as well.
He was lead role in Super (2010) and played, funnily enough, one of the aliens in Trek parody Galaxy Quest.

Thanks. I haven't seen Super, but it's on my watchlist because Nathan Fillion is in it. I've seen Galaxy Quest many times, so I'll have to look up who Rainn Wilson played in that movie. Apparently I have seen him in something, but I just don't know who he is, so I don't recognize him.

Gbg, Rainn Wilson was also Dwight on the American version of The Office and was awesome on that show.

I hate the idea of another prequel. I liked Enterprise quite a bit but I hated the fact that they changed the origin (with an explanation) of the first meeting of Earthlings and Klingons, and, in the same episode, the first contact with Vulcans (again with an explanation). They didn't just change it wholesale without explaining but it griped me that it took away some of the awesomeness of the meeting of Humans and Vulcans in Star Trek: First Contact.

I, too, hate the design of that ship. Plus, I think the writers are going into the past because it's easier to pick up on known characters earlier in their lives than to make up new characters (although, apparently the new crew will all be new characters).

Gbg, Sonequa Martin-Green played Sasha on The Walking Dead. The season finale
WARNING: spoilers below
was her last episode, where she turned zombie
and pretty much fooled nobody because her starring role on the new Star Trek was announced way in advance of the season finale of TWD. This is her:

And lastly, I'm not going to pay anything for any new series, no matter how bad I want to see it. I pay enough for cable and buy DVDs and go to the cinema when I can. I'm sick of things like Netflix, Amazon, etc. so CBS All Access can kiss it!