My Favorite Supporting Performances

Tools    

I think Moore or Pesci would've been my top choice from your ten. I think both are fantastic performances. Rep for Helen Mirren in Gosford Park, too, though you probably could've filled the top five with performances from that film.

Congrats on finishing your list, Gideon. I see you've started another one already.
Yeah, I debated long and hard between Mirren and Maggie Smith.

Big thumbs up for Tucci, Ledger and Pesci.
So pleased with the reps I got for Stanley Tucci...first of all, there are so many performances to choose from and I thought this was one that a lot of people would have overlooked.

I liked Stanley Tucci in The Devil Wears Prada. Which I recently just rewatched.

Great, well-thought out list, Gideon! There are several that I won't comment on because I haven't seen the films yet, but the ones I repped you'll know that I have seen. I'll just say that the one performance that you felt was cheated out of a nomination, and made me go "Yes!" was Donald Sutherland for Ordinary People. His performance moved me more than any other in that fine movie. I felt he allowed himself to be more vulnerable than he's ever been in a movie and he should have been nominated for AND won the Oscar. The very scene you talk about is the absolute best. I've had the misfortune of attending a few funerals since seeing the movie when it was released, and I've unfortunately wanted to paraphrase him when he talked said to his wife, "I was wearing a blue shirt. You said, 'wear a white shirt and the other shoes.' It was nothing at the time, but, it seemed to stay with me. And I, for some reason, had been thinking about it and it suddenly occurred to me, what difference did it make what I wore to Buck's funeral?" And the follow-up dialogue, the best of it delivered by Sutherland over Tyler Moore. All too real, and straight-to-the-heartstrings.

Gideon, excellent job on this list!....I just went through the entire list and here's not a supporting role that I would disagree with. All of your choice that I've seen, I like. I've seen many of these films but not all. So this is what caught my eye:

Sean Penn, The Falcon and the Snowman...its been a long time since I seen this one, I do remember being impressed with Sean Penn. Then again he's so good in all of his roles.

Edmund Gwenn, Miracle on 34th Street...Gwenn is Santa Claus! as far as I'm concerned. I love this movie too.

Charlie Martin Smith, American Graffiti...Todd what a great character. There's a lot of great characters in this film. American Graffiti was my #1 choice for the 1970s Top 100 list.

Paul Newman, The Road to Perdition...I'm glad to see this one. I always like seeing Newman and I enjoyed him in this movie too.

Joel Grey, Cabaret...Yup a very colorful characterization. He did role on Star Trek Voyager that I think was his best work.

Gene Hackman, The Firm...I'm not sure if I seen this one. But anything Hackman is in, he's good.

John Turturro, Quiz Show...loved the movie and he was right for the part.

Madeline Kahn, Young Frankenstein...We use to watch this film at a matinee theater, over and over. Great choice.

Jack Wild, Oliver!...I just seen this fairly recently he was very good in the role.

Thelma Ritter, All About Eve
...I love this film and Thelma Ritter. I think she is one of the best supporting actors who ever worked. My favorite role of hers is Pickup On South Street, she's amazing in it.

Edward G. Robinson, Soylent Green...I was very happy to see you include this performance. Eddie has been a favorite of mine and this is my favorite role of his. The scene were he decides he's time is up, was so touching. Also thanks to Chuck Heston.

Billy Zane, Titanic...Evil! the kind of role you love to hate. I might be the only person who likes Titanic on his site, Zane is evil and so is his man servant David Warner.

Fred MacMurray, The Apartment...awesome film. Who knew MacMurray could be so good in this role.

George Sanders, All About Eve...George Sanders is one of those actors that if he is in the movie, I'll watch it. He was perfectly pompous in this.

Bruce Willis, Pulp Fiction...I just watch this and reviewed it, in a follow up post I said Bruce Willis was one of my favorite actors in this. He's sincere but sad, hopeful but beaten down.

Sean Penn, Fast Times at Ridgemont High
...Dude!

Burl Ives, Cat On a Hot Tin Roof...Another great choice and film.

Martin Landau, Ed Wood...I was so glad to see Landau win an Academy Award for this role. He was so very touching and gave dignity to a man who's been laughed out for almost a century. That man is Bela Lugosi.

Thomas Haden Church, Sideways...One of my favorite films and a great performance.

Rosalind Russell, Picnic...Rosalind shines in this musical.

John Gielgud, Arthur...I don't remember Arthur as it has been decades since I seen when it first came out. But Gielgud is always excellent.

Tommy Lee Jones, JFK...Good choice here. I remember thinking what? but he really works in this film.

Glenn Close, The World According to Garp...It's been a long time since I seen this one, but yes, she was a strong character in the film and a good counter balance to Garp.

Patty Duke, The Miracle Worker...I like Patty Duke here, but then I liked her in The Valley of the Dolls

Alan Arkin, Wait Until Dark...In an interview with Arkin about this movie he said it was incredible hard to be mean to Audrey Hepburn. He's so evil in this film he's good.

Natalie Wood, Miracle on 34th Street...Excellent choice what a talented kid. I don't find her adult acting skills that great though.

Joe Pesci, Goodfellas...I love the pencil in the neck! Pesci does it with such gusto.

Celeste Holm, All About Eve
...I've seen Celeste in many movies and I find her quite charming.

Ed Harris, The Truman Show...Very fine #1 choice. As the mysterious voice in The Truman Show he was pivotal to the story. I just seen Ed Harris last night in Pollock. A film he directed and starred in, it was pretty good to.

I liked Stanley Tucci in The Devil Wears Prada. Which I recently just rewatched.
Loved Tucci in The Devil Wears Prada...actually, I have enjoyed every Tucci performance I have ever seen...he's right up there with Stockard Channing for me, an actor who can do no wrong in my book.

So glad you took the time to check out the thread Citizen and commenting on it...one little thing I wanted to let you know is that Picnic is not a musical, though I've always thought it would make an excellent musical. I also want you to promise that when you have time you will watch The Firm...would love your thoughts on Hackman's performance.

You're right of course Picnic isn't a musical. I'm not sure why I was thinking that and I just watched it in the last several months too. I have always respected Gene Hackman's work. Him and Robert Duvall are two actors that are always good in what ever they do.

I would like to go through your list and see some of the films that I haven't seen. I think we have pretty similar taste so if you liked it, chances are I will too.