My Favorite Supporting Performances

Tools    

Judy Davis, Husbands and Wives

Davis' powerhouse performance as a woman in complete denial about the end of her marriage earned her a supporting actress nomination. I especially love the scene where her character is on a blind date and borrows his phone, not once, but twice, to call her ex-husband (Sydney Pollack) and yell at him for moving on with his life. Davis delivers a beautifully unhinged performance that is fascinating to watch.

#41 is your best choice !! very nice list though

Burgess Meredith, Rocky

Meredith was very effective in this deceptively complex role...Mickey's sometimes abusive treatment of Rocky seemed to stem from the emptiness in Mickey's life and a lot of crushed dreams and regrets he's in denial about and there are moments where you want to punch the guy in the face, but there is not one false note in this performance.

William Hurt, The Big Chill

This film featured one of the best acting ensembles ever and Glenn Close received a supporting actress nomination but this was the performance I went away from the film remembering. Hurt is simultaneously funny and heartbreaking as Nick, a Vietnam vet who is now a drug dealer who seemed to know Alex better than any of the characters and seemed most affected by his death. This character is terribly sad because he wants to heal himself but has absolutely no idea how to do it. The scene where he videotapes himself interviewing himself is a keeper and should have earned him a nomination on its own.

Donald Sutherland, Ordinary People

Some might debate whether or not this was a lead or supporting performance but there is no denying that this performance was at least worthy of an Oscar nomination. Sutherland hits all the right notes as the family man who, since the death of his elder son, has tried to bridge the gap between his wife (Mary Tyler Moore) and his younger son (Oscar winner Timothy Hutton) and doesn't know how to do it anymore. Sutherland is warm, vulnerable, yet powerful as a man desperately trying to keep his family together and tired of playing referee. Hutton won supporting actor, Moore was nominated for Best Actress, Judd Hirsch was nominated for supporting actor, Robert Redford won Best Director, but for some reason, Sutherland was overlooked...his final scene with Mary Tyler Moore where he explains to her why he's crying is just devastating and should have earned him an Oscar on its own merit. Another great Oscar injustice.

Madeline Kahn, Blazing Saddles

Kahn's brilliant lampoon of Marlene Deitrich in Mel Brooks' classic western spoof earned her a supporting actress nomination. Her musical number "I'm Tired" is a classic within itself. The character also has one of my all-time favorite character names: Lily Von Schtupp.

John Gielgud, Arthur

Gielgud stole every scene he was in and won a supporting actor Oscar to boot for his flawlessly dry underplaying as Hobson, manservant to a spoiled, drunken millionaire named Arthur Bach (Dudley Moore), whose outward disdain of his employer shields some privately paternal feelings toward him. This is another performance that there's nothing to say but one word...perfection.

I need to watch that! I've only seen the remake with Russel Brand.

Tommy Lee Jones, JFK

Once again, casting against type that actually worked...Jones' flamboyant yet believable performance earned him his first nomination ever and I think he should have won. Might be in the minority on this, but I liked this performance WAY more than his Oscar winning role in The Fugitive.

Not a fan of Arthur, but the thought of watching it being played out by Russell Brand is terrifying. Gielgud is fantastic in Arthur. Davis and Meredith are both great in their films and I really like Husbands & Wives. It's one of my favourite Allen films.

Tim Robbins, Mystic River

Robbins took home a best supporting actor Oscar for his role as a family man still haunted by a childhood trauma who has committed one murder and is suspected of another. This character has a lot on his plate and Robbins flawlessly displays it on his character's sleeve, especially the childhood trauma, even though it is barely mentioned.

Charles Durning, Tootsie

This solid vet did receive supporting nominations for To Be or Not to Be and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, but this is my favorite Durning performance. He plays the widowed father of soap star Julie Nichols (Jessica Lange) who develops a serious crush on her new co-star Dorothy Michaels (Dustin Hoffman) unaware that she is a he. Durning, as always, makes every moment onscreen count. I especially love the final scene between Hoffman and Durning after the truth about Dorothy has been revealed.

Kevin Spacey, LA Confidential

Spacey lights up the screen as a police detective who seems to care more about his job as a technical consultant on a television show than about actual police work. This actor has an impressive resume, but I don't think he has ever been more entertaining onscreen.

The Russell Brand version is a hot mess, please watch the original.
Noted!

Martin Landau, Crimes and Misdemeanors

He won an Oscar for Ed Wood, but I think this performance is even better. Landau plays Judah, a wealthy physician who senses his world is about to crumble when his mistress (Anjelica Huston) is threatening to go to his wife (Claire Bloom) about the affair and about some shady business dealings of Judah. Landau completely invests in the complicated situation this character is in...we are conflicted when we see the lengths he is considering going to in order to save his own ass, yet, we also know that Judah made his own bed, so to speak. Landau's rich interpretation of this complicated character did earn him a nomination five years before Ed Wood.