Co-stars Who Didn't Get Along

Tools    

A classic example is Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook who pretty much hated each other, even explicitly when the camera wasn't rolling.

I think it's a fun example because it's one of the most famous romantic movies with a praised and beloved relationship involving these two characters - and then they just hate each other during the filming of it haha. Great acting then, how they was able to cover it, authentically.

By all accounts it was a sucker punch.

Backstage between scenes, the atmosphere was getting pretty uncomfortable and the next thing Hardy knew, he was on the floor being woken up by his personal trainer.
When he asked what happened, his trainer said Shia had punched him totally out of the blue.

By all accounts it was a sucker punch.

Backstage between scenes, the atmosphere was getting pretty uncomfortable and the next thing Hardy knew, he was on the floor being woken up by his personal trainer.
When he asked what happened, his trainer said Shia had punched him totally out of the blue.
Knocked out by Shia LaBeouf lol. I'd never live it down.

I got knocked out by a guy who was so drunk he could barely see.

If you're not expecting the hit, then it's not really getting knocked out. It's getting sucker punched.

Hardy has said though that Shia is a "scary dude" and intimidates everyone he comes into contact with. He's like a guy with a very big chip on his shoulder and is seemingly trying to prove something... all the time.

Hardy has said though that Shia is a "scary dude" and intimidates everyone he comes into contact with. He's like a guy with a very big chip on his shoulder and is seemingly trying to prove something... all the time.
He's an annoying midget, who can't act. And his beard looks like he's glued a dead rat to his face.

Yoda, that video was hilarious! But it was scary that Shia took part in the taking the piss out of him, and didn't destroy everyone on stage.

Of course, there's Steven Seagal, who's notorious for being a diva (albeit a diva who could kill you) on every set of every movie he's ever done. During the making of Executive Decision (1996), John Leguizamo relates his experience with Seagal:

Then there's the feud I'd always heard about between Marlon Brando and Sophia Loren:

According to “Sophia Loren: a Biography” by Warren G. Harris, the very first time the mumbling method actor met Sophia he offended her.

He boldly walked into her dressing room on the Parmount lot, glared at her paintings and said, “You’re sick. Emotionally disturbed. You should see a psychiatrist.”

THAT raised the curtain for a mutual loathing that grew more vicious with each meeting.

During the filming of “The Countess of Hong Kong” (1967) Brando complained that Sophia’s passion for Italian food made her breath smell “worse than a dinosaur’s”.

When they filmed their first kiss, all hell broke loose!

Sophia furiously broke away from Brando’s paws and loudly told the film crew: “Do you know what he just whispered to me? That I have long hairs growing out of MY nose?!”

After the director, famed comedian auteur, Charlie Chaplin restored order Sophia did the kissing scene twice more.

But on the third take, Brando savagely bit her on the lip until she bled.

Chaplin recalled that when shooting Brando & Loren’s love scenes their mutual hate was more than evident.

“Each clasped the other as if embracing a werewolf!”

The movie was big flop and no one dared ever costar the two biggest stars in the world again – much to Sophia’s relief.

That was from the National Inquirer, so take from that what you will but they do quote Loren's biography, and she hinted at it at the AFI tribute to her.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have my own story to tell. It probably won't mean much to anybody since it happened so long ago, and it's still only hearsay since only one person could confirm the story, but he confirmed it to my wife Brenda. She was a pilot and she was about to get her instrument rating at Van Nuys Airport in 1989 if she passed her check ride. The flight examiner was Adam Williams whose name is pretty unknown, but he was in lots of TV and most famously in North by Northwest. He played one of James Mason's henchmen and he went off Mount Rushmore at the end of the movie.

(l. to r.) Robert Ellenstein, Cary Grant, Adam Williams

(l. to r.) Adam Williams, Cary Grant, Martin Landau, Robert Ellenstein
Brenda was talking to the flight examiner about our love of movies, and that's when he told her who he was and an anecdote about filming Flying Leathernecks in 1951. This was at the height of McCarthyism and the blacklist. The cast was on location at Camp Pendleton, and after filming was over for the day, it divided up into two groups who got together on opposite sides of the place and had drinking parties. One half had John Wayne, Jay C. Flippen and other conservative, pro-blacklist cast and crew, and the other had director Nicholas Ray, actors Robert Ryan, Adam Williams and the more-liberal personnel. This would happen almost every night, and during the day, there was quite a bit of friction, so it was probably a good thing the plot was written (or rewritten) to have tough commander Wayne unhappy with his second-in-command Ryan for being too easy and compassionate with his men.

Brenda passed her check ride, and we never heard from Adam Williams again.

A classic example is Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook who pretty much hated each other, even explicitly when the camera wasn't rolling.

I think it's a fun example because it's one of the most famous romantic movies with a praised and beloved relationship involving these two characters - and then they just hate each other during the filming of it haha. Great acting then, how they was able to cover it, authentically.
I don't know where you heard or read this, but this is simply not true. They even started a 3 year long love relationship after the film. They were very fond of eachother.

“I mean, God bless The Notebook. It introduced me to one of the great loves of my life. But people do Rachel and me a disservice by assuming we were anything like the people in that movie. Rachel and my love story is a hell of a lot more romantic than that.” - Gosling

-----------------------------------------

Many of these "on set" stories are just plain fiction by the way, so that's why I largely don't care about them. 95% is sheer gossip.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I got knocked out by a guy who was so drunk he could barely see.

If you're not expecting the hit, then it's not really getting knocked out. It's getting sucker punched.

I remember reading that somewhere, Tom Hardy said he was intimidated by him. To fair he does come across kinda weird. I seen a picture of him recently and thought whooo.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

John Wayne was famous for not getting along with some of his co-stars. He didn't get along with Richard Widmark on the set of The Alamo. He threatened to punch Robert Duvall during filming of True Grit, and described Kim Darby as the worst actress he had worked with.

Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen on the set of The Magnificent Seven. Yul Brynner was concerned that Steve McQueen was trying to upstage him.

On the set of The Professionals (British tv series) there were tensions between Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins.

Laverne and Shirley - by the end of the series Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams wouldn't talk to each other.

Lost in Space - Jonathan Harris and Bob May started the series as friends, but by the end wouldn't speak to each other.

Master of My Domain
Apparently Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss didn't get along during the shooting of Jaws so it made some real good tension between the two- just what the film needed.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis couldn't stand working together while making the TV series "Moonlighting". The already bad tension was made worse as the series went on because Bruce Willis became a movie star when Die Hard became a hit, and Cybill Shepherd had twins, and wasn't able to spend enough time on the set and she caused a lot of delays. Supposedly it got so bad during the final season that they couldn't even stand to be on the set together, so their scenes were filmed on separate days whenever possible, so they wouldn't even have to see each other anymore.

Bruce Willis is notorious for being a diva tbh. Kevin Smith had a right time with him on Cop Out.

He was written out of Expendables 3 because he's a douche.

Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto in Blue Collar all hated each other.

Shrader has apparently disowned the film.
I didn't know that. What a shame because it's fantastic.

I didn't know that. What a shame because it's fantastic.
I totally agree...I read about the tension on the set of Blue Collar for the first time about a year ago and was in shock...it's so hard to wrap my head around co-stars who didn't get along when the movie is so good and that was definitely the case with this one...I want to go back and re-watch it now SO bad.

During filming of Singin' in the rain Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds didn't get along with Gene Kelly. This was confirmed by Reynold's daughter Carrie Fisher on an episode of QI.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
During filming of Singin' in the rain Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds didn't get along with Gene Kelly. This was confirmed by Reynold's daughter Carrie Fisher on an episode of QI.

I've heard that a lot of Gene Kelly's co-stars didn't like working with him because he was a perfectionist, and he expected the same out of his co-stars, so he usually worked them too hard.

I've heard that a lot of Gene Kelly's co-stars didn't like working with him because he was a perfectionist, and he expected the same out of his co-stars, so he usually worked them too hard.
Sounds about right.