Kingsman: The Secret Service

→ in
Tools    

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Back to the British Isles again tonight. Kingsman, adapted from a comic of the same name is an enjoyable mashup of a lot of 1960’s fantasy-spy stuff, including favorites like James Bond, The Avengers, The Man from Uncle, co-star Michael Caine’s Ipcress File, Dr Evil and a little bit of Mars Attacks. Larger-than-life villains, crazy nihilistic plots, cool, collected, well dressed British agents and unlikely events are the fun of stories like this. The crazier, the better. In Kingsman, Samuel Jackson plays “Valentine”, an extroverted, deranged billionaire with a plot to counter global warming by triggering a cell phone signal that will in turn trigger billions to murder, main and slaughter anyone in sight via a sort of electronic rage-virus….fewer people, less carbon, the earth is saved. A small group of selected, compliant people have been chosen to repopulate what’s left of civilization. Obviously, this guy has to be stopped before his nefarious plot can wreak havoc.

In this story, Colin Firth plays Harry Hart (Galahad is his code name), a member of the elite Kingsmen, charged with doing anything necessary to prevent any disaster of this sort that they see coming, without regard to law or anything else. Recruiting new Kingsmen, one of his recruits is lower class Eggsy (Taron Egerton), a rebellious guy from a troubled background, in whom he sees some sort of potential. They are going up against Valentine, a super-villain and his evil minions, a guy who has satellites, secret underground complexes and his own army. They are kidnapping elites and installing self-destruct devices in various people’s heads, getting ready for the cell phone-induced apocalypse. Eggsy, however, is to be the new hero, saving the world for another day.

Will they succeed in preventing the end of the world as we know it? Will global warming be forestalled by murdering 99% of the population? Will you recognize my reference to Mars Attacks? (Hint - it has to do with exploding heads). Will Eggsy fulfill his destiny as a hero of British Intelligence? You will just have to see for yourself. I enjoyed this. It’s not a great movie, but it’s fun if you ever enjoyed Dr Evil or The Avengers (the old 1960’s version of course). The acting isn’t much and the plot is pretty much over-the-top, but that’s the idea. As usual, Sam Jackson is quite good in his arch-evil role. Colin Firth is his usual fine self as super-British, umbrella wielding agent Galahad, as are Michael Caine and Mark Strong as boss and handler. You might even notice Mark Hamill in there, nearly unrecognizable. As comic book movies go, in my opinion, this is less tedious than most, enjoyably ridiculous and if you ever liked John Steed or Napoleon Solo, it’s fairly bloody fun.

Kingsman: The Secret Service(2014)

Here is a refreshing comical spy movie with Matthew Vaughn behind the director’s chair(Kick Ass and the broadly acclaimed X Men Days of Future Past) and Jane Coleman(of whom the more famous partner is Jonathan Ross) who co-wrote the screenplay. Much of the inspiration is from the “Secret Service” comics by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons who are also behind the Kick Ass comics. What attracted me to the film is the prospect of watching the ever eloquent Colin Firth to transform unlikable ghetto youngster into a secret service agents(think Trading Places(1983)) amongst the humorous references in the film). Also the poster included the villainous bladed double amputee Gazelle (played by Algerian actress Sofia Boutella).

The start of the film blew away my initial perception of the film when we learn from an earlier mission involving Kingsman as an elite Secret Service why we must route for Gary “Eggsy” Urwin(played by newcomer Taron Egerton we was in same audition as Aaron Taylor Johnson for Kick Ass). Colin Firth as Harry “Galahad” Hart must guide the future hero with an all star cast secret service involving the ever present Mark Strong and Michael Caine (with whom the project was a learning opportunity for fellow Oscar winner Firth). In the midst of posh boys versus gangster recruitment the team must figure out want exactly are Valentine’s(Samuel L Jackson) plans even though is seen as that fantasy world’s answer to Steve Jobs.

I could find no fault in how the cast performed. Everyone played their part without being underused within the film which runs over two hours. It is interesting to see Colin Firth and Mark Strong in the same secret service team in a different context a opposed to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy(2011). Mark Strong’s character is similar to that of whom he played in the Imitation Game as the key recruitment supervisor. It is very enlightening to see Colin Firth away from the perusal Oscar worthy performances as an agent giving a refreshing take on what it means to be a gentleman against both vulgar characters of both classes. Samuel L. Jackson (whose character has a lisp and was cast to be age appropriate in relation to Firth) delivers his presence without even having to display is infamous on screen temperament originating from Pulp Fiction. However it is the development of “Eggsy” going to and from his roots which is the ultimate cheeky revelation of the film.

The most enjoyable part of the film is the neat camera work behind the cartoony action sequences drawn out of Hot Fuzz. The movement is so intriguing when watching the fights for a while you even forget is it a comedy film. The pub scene with Colin Firth is enough to draw in the crowds looking for action. The violence is at times graphic but the director is successful in achieving his aim in creating the first comical secret service film we have seen in a long time which had the pre-9/11 escapist elements to them. The story is very consistent where the viewers do not get bored and most of the key plots are answered with very little plot holes to be left unanswered. The only minor fault I find is that there is no background to Gazelle.

There are some very intriguing themes throughout the movie. We have some challenging environmental issues with reference to politicians who are solely interested in being re-elected. The issue of being bullied by other gangsters, upper class Toffs and the step dad is explored with great finesse. The redemption story involving both key male leads is the most interesting aspect Eggsy inspiring potential ally Roxy(Sarah Cookson) to face her fears. Cookson has expressed great satisfaction that her role was not sexualised in the stereotypical love interest role. Within these themes is the wonderful use of instantly recognizable 1980s rock and disco track in the key moments.

Overall is film is rated 15 due to explicit violence and language. The film is mainly for teenagers and adult who will enjoy the feel good storyline with the crude humour included. In essence the film is how Johnny English should have been made without all the trashiness only to be compensated by nut shots. The film will attract the various fans of the all star casts which includes a cameo role for Mark Hamill (soon to be re-booted as Luke Skywalker in the Force Awakens)

Boldly going.
I thought the first half of the movie was pretty good, like a James Bond movie, but the second half it sort of resembled a poor Quentin Tarantino movie. I did like the gal with the sword feet. I also loved the cool gadgets, like the grenade lighter and the bullet-proof umbrella/gun. The training sessions were the best. Some moments made me laugh (like Valentine throwing up at the sight of blood), some moments made me gasp (the trainees find themselves flooded in their quarters), but other moments made me groan. There were way too many moments of people dodging bullets. The biggest detractor for me was some of the crude humor, especially near the end.

Welcome to the human race...
Should've been my kind of thing, but there was way too much wrong with it to be genuinely good.

I have to return some videotapes...
Should've been my kind of thing, but there was way too much wrong with it to be genuinely good.
Lol maybe the most overrated movie of the year. Totally agree.

I love this movie only because of Colin Firth.