Mr. Turner

→ in
Tools    

Mr. Turner

This was one of the odder movies we’ve seen for a while. There was no actor I recognized, the director, Mike Leigh, had done no movies I had seen and, as a biopic, it was about an English artist that I knew nothing about. Mr. Turner starred Timothy Spall (who?) in the title role as J M W Turner, the eccentric English painter of the early 19th century, an artist who seemed to be somewhat ahead of his times (I claim no credentials as an art historian), but was off the scale for eccentricity. The story joins Turner in middle age and follows him to his death.

I don’t know anything about Turner that I didn’t read in 5 minutes on Wikipedia, but, from what I found, the portrayal in the movie seemed to be correct. This is important for this movie since Turner is portrayed by Spall as an obese, grouchy, unappealing guy who is nearly non-verbal, communicates largely in grunts or snorts and spends much of the movie making gross noises as he moves phlegm around his respiratory system…not a flattering portrayal. Fortunately, he also appears to have had a remarkable talent, the ability to make a quick pencil sketch of a scene and then return to his studio where he could flesh out a remarkable painting of the scene, complete with amazing use of color and abstraction. For all of his social dysfunctions, the guy must have been a genius. Turner has left a family behind, lives with his equally eccentric father and leprous housekeeper, with whom he has a groping relationship that occasionally advances to brief, creepy sex. Just when you are ready to completely dismiss him, he performs small acts of unexpected kindness and insight. Eventually falls in love with a widow, with whom he spends his later years. He really is a strange and fairly unappealing but complex character.

So why see this movie? Assuming that this portrayal is reasonably accurate, what redeems it the man’s art and the amazing cinematography of the movie, done by Dick Pope (huh? who?). The rendering of early 19 century England is remarkably rich in detail, the scenes that Turner paints (mainly bucolic, waterfront, sunset scenes in the movie) are like period art themselves. The LOOK of the movie is quite amazing and takes you back very palpably to a time when there is no technology as we know it, life is organic because there is no other way to live it, the population of England is low and mostly rural. This is a very painterly movie that makes you understand what Turner needed to portray on canvas. In spite of his fairly disgusting demeanor, he saw the beauty in everyday life and painted it remarkably.

Mr Turner managed to get 4 Oscar nominations, for Cinematography, Costume design, Music and Production Design. I don’t think this will get much of a view in the US…it’s just SO ENGLISH (not British, but English), but for fans of this painter or fans of old England, it’s worth seeing. The movie really does present a vivid portrait of a time and place. You might not like the main character very much, but he is believable, especially in the context of his world. The look of the movie is amazing, well worth the price of a ticket. I’m not sure just WHERE my rating goes on this. I sorta liked, it, appreciated the aesthetics, but while I didn’t like Turner very much, I do appreciate his genius. You could definitely do worse in a movie, but it’s not conventional popcorn-night entertainment. The cinematography alone moves it up one star.

Thanks, skizzerflake. It's interesting to read a review on this film by someone who has virtually no knowledge of its subject, but more interestingly, those involved.

I doubt I'd be the only person (especially among the Brits) who'd have had various titles running through their head when you mentioned not being aware Leigh, Spall or Pope. While they've often work together, I'd recommend taking a trip through all their work. You'll often find yourself pleased with what you find. In fact, with Pope and Spall, you might find that you've already seen a few and just not known/noticed.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Good, honest review.

Turner has been probably the most influential artist of my life as far as paintings go. I love the light and texture of his work. I remember going through a phase in college in which I would paint with no other tool but a palette knife for a year, trying to mimic his textures.

I was thrilled to learn that there would be a movie of him and I was as thrilled to find it held true to his work.

Bumping this thread to bring more attention to a brilliant artist.

Very nice review, SF! We watched the film awhile back, and loved it. With a few exceptions, the English history of excellent biographies and documentaries outdoes our own.

The film is first rate for all the reasons you mentioned. An award winning performance by Timothy Spall and the impressive cinematography of Dick Pope, along with Mike Leigh's intuitive direction combine to make "Turner" a wonderful absorbing film.

But it is Turner's paintings themselves that tower over the subject matter: his exquisite buildings and landscapes, the violent seascapes, and his stunning impressionistic later works make Turner one of the greatest of English painters.

The composer Claude Debussy, who hated the term "impressionism" applied to his work, likewise scolded the use of the term to describe Turner's painting. He stated that Turner was "The finest creator of mysterious effects in all the world of art." Pretty tall praise considering the number of magnificent artists painting up to the early 20th Century!

~Doc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Timothy Spall is really good and has been around forever (Harry Potter films, Secret and Lies, The King's Speech, Denial)

I love movies like this!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hey hold the phone. What does that trailer have to do with the movie in the OP?