Filming with Fiscal, (and Those Who Want In)?

Tools    

I already talked to Henry Lime about it. From now on, I'm keeping my "film science" work off the boards.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I already talked to Henry Lime about it. From now on, I'm keeping my "film science" work off the boards.
Harry Lime and, please, reconsider. That wasn't film science. That was weird science!

Semper Fooey
All Fiscal wanted to do was go to the beach and film the pretty girls.

Semper Fooey
I hope your movie turns out better than this:

&feature=related

My apologies if you made it.

This thread went to sh*t, and it really had a lot of potential.

I feel the same way, but we shouldn't give up. How about instead of me coming up with something, (cause apparently no matter what I try to come up with its seen as "weird" or "impractical"). How about you think of something, I'd gladly do it. I'm just tired of taking the heat now. Its either, "Why don't you take your medications?" or "This obviously wouldn't work!" (Even though when given a chance to explain it such as HERE, people do seem to understand it). Then I'm given the bubkis remarks of, "This isn't how cinema should be!" Well define should people! I don't know about the rest of you. But I'm tired of bread and butter cinema. Do A, achieve B. Rinse, repeat. I'm sorry, but I find that all rather boring. Even if I fail, at least I was attempting to break cinema out of the current mold it was in. I think you'll have some great ideas Fiscal. I just know it. But I'm tired of taking the brunt of heat for mine.

I believe in you, Dog Star Man. I really do. I don't mean to be annoying or mean. It really hurts me that people take it that way. I know I'm probably not doing myself any favors, but I do not intend to cause any destruction. But when people start lashing out at me, like Deadite, I cannot help but fight back -- I am a mammal.

Semper Fooey
You can do it anyway you like, but I see all those numbers and letters equaling this and that and I think it is funny. Most composers compose by messing around playing with the piano, but Kurt Weill would write it out all out at his desk with sheet music first. Some directors do little editing like Hitchcock because he planned all his shots in advanced. Sergei Einstein intellectually worked out his theory of montage then applied it to actual fimmaking. D. W. Griffin created or expanded a lot of film technique including montage by instinct. I am actually all for interesting and different camera compositions. What Hitchcock did in Rope you also see in those early televison dramas done live in the 1950s out of necessity, especially John Frankenheimer with close-ups created by actors walking extremely up close to the camera or walking away from it instead of a separate shot. Low-angle shots are cool, too. Directing is sort of like playing a musical instrunent. Some directors have a natural talent for creating a fluid bravura visual style and show it with their first film with no prior experience like Orson Welles, and other directors with a lot of films to their credit are always flat-footed. Maybe they can tell a story and work with actors, but they don't know how to compose shots. Ronald Neame was like that and he started as a cinematographer. Except when he was working for David Lean his movies are all stagy and stiff.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
DSM looks at film differently than most people. He doesn't want to be a Welles, Eisenstein or Hitchcock. He can appreciate them but he wants to be his own person and try to come up with a filmmaking style that even his idols (such as Brakhage and Deren) never dreamed of.

I'm not sure why you want to bash Neame in here. He's made some excellent films, including The Horse's Mouth, Tunes of Glory, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Card, Hopscotch, The Odessa File, etc. None of those are "stiff".

I can see now how what I've said in this thread might look totally rude and out of line. I seriously did not feel - or intend - to come across that way, though. Maybe it was because I was having a bad day that day - I dunno. I'm sorry once again to all parties.

Semper Fooey
Visually Neame is a slug. I noticed that when i was still in junior high with the first of his I saw, The Prime of Miss Jean Brody, and noticed it with the rest of his directed films. They are heavy on talk and theatrical like Cukor, but Cukor has a better camera technique. Neame just does a lot of conventional multi-shots and seemingly just hands it all to the editor to figure out.

Look, I like making film theories. If I ever do make it, and here's hoping, I just want to be known for making film a science. That's really it. I'm a meta-film maker. I like thinking of what makes film film to begin with. My idols, are like Mark mentioned, are people like Brakhage who took the film making process out of the camera itself, paving a new form. With me, I like taking the concepts of film, and applying it into all realms of study that I find myself in... math and science, physics, philosophy, art, music, photography, world histories, linguistics, etc. I read this stuff for fun, it's what I get pleasure in, and I get even greater pleasure in exploiting it in the things I love, film, and coming up with new perspectives. If my idol took film out of a camera. I want to take film out of film.

Well, go do it. Go make a movie like this. I want to know what you're all about. Help me understand. Just please, please, please... cast Jake Gyllenhaal as the male lead.

This thread went to ***** because some ignoramus decided to be mocking instead of supportive and killed the vibe.

I don't claim to know much about Film Theory but I was interested and willing to give different ideas a chance.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I believe in you, Dog Star Man. I really do. I don't mean to be annoying or mean. It really hurts me that people take it that way. I know I'm probably not doing myself any favors, but I do not intend to cause any destruction. But when people start lashing out at me, like Deadite, I cannot help but fight back -- I am a mammal.
I didn't lash out at you. All I initially said was that it was unhelpful and tactless, and it was. You didn't like me calling it like it was and expected me to ignore it out of some misguided notion of friendship.

I also said at the beginning that I didn't think anyone was trolling, because I wanted to focus on OP's topic and also give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I take it back. You have been trolling: Paying lip service to "concern', being "supportive" while undermining his effort. I tried repeatedly to be polite as possible to you while pointing this out, but you kept provoking.

You even brought up a petty fight we had in PM.

That's my say. Sorry to add to the sh!tstorm but it pizzed me off seeing him twisting everything around.

Dog Star, I wish you and Fiscal good luck and great inspiration on all your future projects, whether separately or together. I won't mess up your thread with any more back & forth with the troll.

I didn't lash out at you. All I initially said was that it was unhelpful and tactless, and it was. You didn't like me calling it like it was and expected me to ignore it out of some misguided notion of friendship.

I also said at the beginning that I didn't think anyone was trolling, because I wanted to focus on OP's topic and also give you the benefit of the doubt.

But I take it back. You have been trolling: Paying lip service to "concern', being "supportive" while undermining his effort. I tried repeatedly to be polite as possible to you while pointing this out, but you kept provoking.

You even brought up a petty fight we had in PM.
Well, if I am a troll, then I'm Movie Forums' own personal troll who has managed to fly under the radar for soon-to-be ten years now.

I can see now how what I've said in this thread might look totally rude and out of line. I seriously did not feel - or intend - to come across that way, though. Maybe it was because I was having a bad day that day - I dunno. I'm sorry once again to all parties.
What this thread needed was constructive criticism, it can be found in linespalsy's comments HERE, HERE, and HERE, for example. Even one of your comments HERE, was constructive.

However, as much as I hate to bear this bad news to you, most of your comments have not been constructive to either Fiscal or myself. I bring the case of one constructive argument to that of several non-constructive, and sometimes damaging, proposals to this thread. Of which Fiscal and I have pondered of getting in a moderator in here to weed out the not so good stuff. I speak of one constructive argument against THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, and lastly THIS. The amount of non-constructive/if not damaging contents in this thread submitted by you can almost fill an entire page, which is unfortunate to say the least. I point this out not as an enemy trying to combat you, but a friend trying to give advice and social criticism. Now you had an issue with Deadite, yes a problem indeed it was, and maybe you both had your reasons. But did you ever stop to think that hijacking Fiscal's and My thread wasn't the place to do it. You could have easily lured Deadite into the shoutbox, as Fiscal mentioned, and settled your scores there. As for the other not-so-constructive stuff. I'm not placing blame solely on you. A lot of people have been aiding, Will is an example.

Look, Fiscal and I both want this thread to be as pure as possible. That's why we may need moderation. It would be cool if other MoFoers were interested in filming with us, and coming up with ideas. But we want to treat each other with respect in here people. If we can't do this, maybe we should consider not posting in here perhaps? Just a thought.