Reading Tab

Tools    

The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka

Took me a little while to get into, but once Part II came I started enjoying the humor. I found the imagery in Part I weak, but this developed along the way. I liked the humor, but it was also a deep story. I enjoyed it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Just finished "World War Z".

Fantastic read. The greatest part is the accuracy to which a real Zombie Apocalypse would go down being laid out before you in the stories. Cheap air travel, big Pharma cure lies, human rights laws, USA war weary, Govenment coverups all lead to the near annhialation of the Human Race. Really great how the stories told in the book are worldwide, telling how it went down from the perspective of lots of countries as opposed to just USA as usual.

Really hope the films lives up to the book although I doubt it can.

10/10

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
Just finished Behind the Mask of Innocence: Sex, Violence, Prejudice, Crime - Films of Conscience in the Silent Era by Kevin Brownlow; very thought provoking. It gave me a whole new perspective on films made during the silent era.
3.5/5

My current reads are Daughters of Shame by Jasvinder Sanghera and Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Review dump time

---

The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey

It's always awkward when an author isn't hugely likeable. This one isn't helped by his unabashed social privilege, frequently testing your empathy as he demobs with the champagne set or identifies with the Bullingdon club (a group known for smashing up restaurants simply because they can afford to). This makes it harder to care as he struggles through his gruelling officers' training. Thankfully it's still interesting to see how the minds of the UK's fighting elite are formed, and this interest doubles once they're put to the test in Afghanistan.

He foreshadows the 'adventures' to come with a pulsing yet picturesque introduction: a surreal incident on top of a dam, where locals drop their idyllic tea session in the shade of a tree to pull out RPGs, and come to his aid, all viewed through an effective perceptual blur. This pattern of explosive drama relived after thoughtful introspection mirrors the 'quick, quick, wait' nature of military life, and underscores much of the later writing. You may not approve of the way he embraces this deadly boys-with-toys lifestyle, but you can admire his honesty about it and his skill at recounting its highs and lows. Getting an officer's eye view means we're not completely down in the trenches, but he seems to have got himself dusty enough out there, slumming it on IED-plagued convoys and getting caught out in confined firefights. The fact that he's had trouble shaking the dust off again when home completes the aspects that make this a journey worth embedding yourself in.

(+)

The Spark of Life by Frances Ashcroft

A strangely frustrating book, but rewarding none-the-less. The author is at her most adroit when discussing her field of expertise: the ion channels which allow our cells to maintain their positive and negative charges (and the way they impact on everything from nefarious poisons to miraculous cures). She manages to make this academic topic pretty engaging, and to expand it into a broader spread of histories & oddities. What's unfortunate is that, even with some unique research extending the insights, the rest of the book is something of a hotchpotch. She's just too glancing about a lot of the tangental material - so if you're familiar with it, you won't learn much that's new, and if you're not, you won't get much more than a taster of its potential interest. It makes the book feel uneven, and increasingly lightweight, despite the unifying theme and knowledgeable guide.

It's a shame, because I should love any book that reveals the following: Mediaeval people were accidentally diagnosing cystic fibrosis by kissing children's heads. (If the kids tasted salty, due to sodium imbalance, & hence electrically unbalanced cells etc, they were deemed to be due a short life). And in many ways I did find it both loveable and stimulating, it's just that the big sparks seemed to come too infrequently. (Full disclosure: I read an uncorrected proof copy, but can't imagine they've managed to make it a corruscating whole since).

++

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

A sort of self-help take on Blink, this also sees a journo collating many schools of investigation into a central thesis, without perhaps fully understanding all of the facets involved, and taking some leaps of faith as he goes. The eager extrapolation is at its worst when he extends his thesis from individual compulsions to institutional foible, despite the latter being interesting in their own right. None of this stops his ultimate conclusions from feeling like useful advice though, and he also has that classic magpie preference for exotic examples (married with a neat line in introducing exciting sports narratives) making the book very readable throughout. If you're interested in: neurology with concrete applications, the history of advertising, the methods of sporting & corporate underdogs & champions, the algorithms of radio success, and the elements which help drive social movements (from the ending of segregation to the rise of the super-church) this is well worth a dip. If it helps you figure out the cues, cravings, routines & rewards that drive your habitual actions, be they good or bad, then so much the better.

+

---

(I've also read a large chunk of Samuel Pepys' most informative diaries, but was eventually defeated by the font size in my cheapo copy. Will definitely be going back to it tho )

Since my last post...

Return to Eden by Harry Harrison

Last in the Eden trilogy. Not that there's much of a drop off in quality, but after the first book this series had diminishing returns for me.
-

A History of Chinese Civilization by Jacques Gernet

Read most of it last summer but put it aside during the school year. Finished the last 2 hundred pages over spring break. To the extent that one can reliably rate a reference text in a field of non-expertise (barely if at all), I'd give it a
. In terms of enjoyment it's a bit too broad and dry.

The caveat above applies for the next couple of ratings as well:

Differential Equations by Paul Blanchard et al

Highly arbitrary reference/textbook rating*:
-

A First Course in Probability by Sheldon Ross

Probability: An introductory course by Norman R. Draper and Willard E. Lawrence
+

Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott

Part II of Little Women.
+ (part 1 gets
+)

Objectivity Is Not Neutrality: Explanatory Schemes in History by Thomas L. Haskell

A collection of papers written from the '70s to the '90s on history, philosophy and historicism. The unifying theme is an apologetics for a mild, "Kuhnian" form of historicism (vs. the excesses of the likes of Richard Rorty and Foucault on the one hand and Leo Strauss on the other). I'm already pretty sympathetic to his project so I'm sure that's part of why I enjoyed it so much, but this book is "scholarly" in the best sense. Haskell's polemical wit keeps his more abstract and theoretical concerns grounded and engaging. It's often conceptually difficult or esoteric (and I'm glad I had my wife on hand to help me follow his arguments on the emergence of contract law and its differentiation from tort, and how these things relate to a societal shift in ethics and notions of responsibility starting in the 19th century), and the fact that Haskell rarely shies away from complicating factors in telling his story softens the polemic edge somewhat. But overall this is a great, idiosyncratic take on what history is and can be (The author describes his interests as "ethics of history" and "history of ethics").

+

Celebrity and the Environment: Fame, Wealth and Power in Conservation by Dan Brockington

This book focuses more on conservation NGO's and foundations than Environmentalism as a whole (though it does touch on the broader movement somewhat, particularly global warming). It's a bit more accessible a critique of conservation organizations and media (from a conservationist) than some of Brockington's other writing, and probably a better place to start than Fortress Conservation (which I admired a lot as well).

-

Candide, Voltaire

This was a challenging read for me, and even though I like satire this didn't really grasp me in. There were about 30 pages in the later middle of the book that were fantastic, but overall for such a thin book, I spent way to much time getting through it. Overall Voltaires humor is decent, but nothing spectacular.

Reading some of the canonical stuff in the nerd's canon:

The Illiad -

Epic in every sense.

Dune
+

Frank Ebert's science fiction epic is generally regarded as the greatest science fiction novel in the English language and I don't disagree.

Foundation Trilogy

Slightly weaker than Dune, still great, though.

Foundation's Edge
+

Much weaker than the original trilogy.

Foundation and Earth

Very weak. Asimov should have quit writing before this.

The Lord of the Rings
-

May be slightly overrated. Rather simplistic given it has over 1,200 pages.

War and Peace
+

A true classic. Greatest novel ever? Maybe. Very sophisticated characterization and it is very memorable and beautiful, even though I don't read Russian and instead had to read a translated version.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
++

Even superior to the masterpiece of cinema that is the movie, the 1,200 page graphic novel is justly regarded by many as the greatest work of graphic fiction ever made and indeed it probably is. It is my favorite work of fiction of all time, in film, literature or TV and is a must read for anyone who though that the movie was good. It's very complex and dark, though, specially given the development of the plot after the end of the movie.

Akira
+

Like Nausicaa, Akira is considered by many to be the greatest work of graphic fiction ever made. I found it considerably weaker than Nausicaa, lacking the emotional depth and philosophical complexity of Nausicaa, instead relying on action and tension as it's driving force.

I Am Ozzy

Ozzy Osbourne's autobio. I've never much cared for his music, save for "Mama, I'm Coming Home," but I love reading his "Ask Dr. Ozzy" column in RS magazine and thought I'd give this a try. He's an interesting, funny guy and a great storyteller so it's been a very entertaining read.

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X Stork is a good book.

Got all three Barker Books of Blood 1-3 for a quarter a piece at the library. Took me a second to sift through and find all three volumes. All early Berkley paperbacks in excellent shape. I've read quite a bit of Barker, always regretted not reading his Books of Blood, esp since I really enjoyed In The Flesh and The Inhuman Condition. I'm very happy with the find, almost pissed myself.

Sculpting in Time

Andrei Tarkovsky's work on the theory of film. Truly shows how extremely elitist he was. Tarkovsky was also a very, very passionate artist who worked with religious vigor on his films. The force and purity of his movies are derived from his own intense religious passion.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Got all three Barker Books of Blood 1-3 for a quarter a piece at the library. Took me a second to sift through and find all three volumes. All early Berkley paperbacks in excellent shape. I've read quite a bit of Barker, always regretted not reading his Books of Blood, esp since I really enjoyed In The Flesh and The Inhuman Condition. I'm very happy with the find, almost pissed myself.
There is seriously nothing more enjoyable to me than combing the used book stores and book sales for good finds, so I know your pleasure. I'd be very happy with that find of yours. I have those books and love them.

Just in case you haven't read them, The Great and Secret Show and Everville are must reads. Clive Barker is awesome.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have just discovered a new second hand book shop in town and I couldnt help myself going in and I managed to get hold of two books, both in great condition and both what I like to read.

Evil Serial Killers: In the minds of monsters - By Charlotte Greig

Bodies of Evidence: Forensic Science and Crime - By Dr Scott Christiansen

When I was paying the ol'dear in the shop she said to me 'I hope your not getting any ideas, haha' To which I replied 'Oh no haha' but I realised once I left the shop I should of said, 'Well I havent been caught yet' and then laugh in a huge booming laugh like Brian Blessed

Im currently reading Evil Serial Killers and its great so far!

Not as good as the sequel, 'Magnanimous, Munificent, and Just Plain Mirthful Serial Killers: In the Minds of Merry Men'.

Edit: In other news, just 20 pages from the end of Swann's Way by Marcel Prunes. Been kind of savoring it.

Notes from the Underground, Dostoevsky

This was pretty good existentialism. It starts with some theories/ statements on life and then goes into memoirs. The theories brought out more thoughts but the latter was more readable. It has some sad (well pitiful) moments, but is well written, and I'd often forget that this isn't even Dostoevsky non-fiction.

I have just discovered a new second hand book shop in town and I couldnt help myself going in and I managed to get hold of two books, both in great condition and both what I like to read.

Bodies of Evidence: Forensic Science and Crime - By Dr Scott Christiansen

When I was paying the ol'dear in the shop she said to me 'I hope your not getting any ideas, haha' To which I replied 'Oh no haha' but I realised once I left the shop I should of said, 'Well I havent been caught yet' and then laugh in a huge booming laugh like Brian Blessed

Im currently reading Evil Serial Killers and its great so far!
If you'd done that the poor dear might have been your first victim.

Attachment 10787

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Welcome to the World Baby Girl~Fannie Flag It's a little too kitschy and stereotypically "Southern Fried" for my tastes, but it's not without it's charm and it makes for an enjoyable enough light summer read. C+

Money Shot~Christa Faust Gritty, dirty and fun. It's not perfect, but Faust is a decent pulp fiction writer and one I'll read more of. The story could have been better, but the characters and dialogue are sharply written. This was a better easy summer read. B-

The Culture Clash~Jean Donaldson A book I've read many times and recommend to everyone with a dog. A lot of people complain that it feels as if Donaldson thinks that most dog owners are idiots and truth be told Donaldson is a pretty abrasive person and her writing style is a bit condescending. However, she knows dogs and is one of the most respected dog trainers and behaviorists around. Look past her attitude and you will gain a lot of insight and knowledge from this book. I re-read it a lot just for a refresher.

I'm not old, you're just 12.

Liked both of these quite a bit.

Almost finished this. It's so DENSE, it took me since Christmas to get as far as I have in it.

Cause you can't just read super serious things all the time.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sins of the Brother: The Definitive Story of Ivan Milat and the Backpacker Murders

Very well researched book that covers the early life and crimes of this Australian serial killer.