Whats the last great documentary you saw?

Tools    

This week I watched two documentaries which, while they might not qualify as 'great' film-making, I found greatly informative about a particular time and place - New York in the mid to late seventies.

VH1's NY77: The Coolest Year in Hell (2007) focuses on that one year, 1977, when lots of New Yorkers wondered if their city was indeed going to hell. It was the New York of Taxi Driver. The city was almost broke, with barely enough money to fund services and pay their cops, and bombed-out buildings were everywhere. The verge-of-anarchy feeling came to the fore in July '77 with the mass looting during the city-wide blackout, and that same summer Son of Sam was on the loose.

NY77 shows how amid, and in many ways because of, that urban blight and decay, several cultural revolutions were in the making, particularly in the world of music. In the Bronx DJs spliced into streetlights to get the electricity to fuel their battles in the parks, and with the blackout looting many obtained turntables and other necessary DJ equipment: the birth of hip-hop. On the Lower East Side, socially isolated gays took refuge in a large loft where they danced the night away: the birth of disco. And in the Bowery, bands stripped rock to the basics, combined with fast loud rhythms and rebellious lyrics: the birth of punk and New Wave. And in between all the neighborhoods rode trains covered with illegal, outrageous, colorful graffiti.

Each movement had clubs and bands/singers that epitomized them. Hip-hop had Afrika Bambaata and DJ Wiz scratching and on the mic, and when hip-hop moved indoors to the club Disco Fever, Grandmaster Flash. Disco blossomed in Studio 54 where the rich and famous hustled to the records of Gloria Gaynor and the Bee Gees. And at CBGB, which only bands playing original songs on the stage, punks nodded their heads vigorously to the Ramones, the Talking Heads and Blondie. (For an excellent movie on the Ramones check out End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones.) Many of the clubs and parties were fueled by drugs, drinking and underage teens; but the cops were too underpaid and understaffed to do anything about it.

And then there was another club that was very specific to this time and place: Plato's Retreat, then the most-well known and infamous heterosexual swingers/sex club in the world. The documentary American Swing (2008) details the rise of the club and its owner Larry Levenson, from swingers' parties on Coney Island to prestigious and grand locations on the Upper West Side and later midtown; and then their fall.

Plato's Retreat, like Studio 54, had a DJ and large dance floor. It also had a large Jacuzzi, large swimming pool and a large room for anonymous group sex. It was also far more democratic in its admissions policy than Studio 54, and for the price of 25 bucks per couple the working class could penetrate, so to speak, the upper class, as well as eat all they wanted at the all-night buffet.

The sexual revolution, of course, had started to flourish in the sixties, and Larry Levenson took it to an extreme of public experimentation. As one interviewee in the NY77 said of disco: If blacks and whites, straights and gays can dance together, then they can live together too. The same could be said of having sex together, and in American Swing many former swingers, now elderly folk with knowing smiles, wistfully recall those days as a kind of sexual utopia - although some are noticeably repelled by memories of being surrounded by overflowing bodily fluids.

Financial scandal sounded the first death knell for Plato's Retreat, and then in 1984 AIDS and safe-sex ordinances closed its doors - along with those of the gay baths and sex clubs - for good. Ed Koch, elected as mayor with a turn-New York-around/get-tough-on-crime platform, began the process of reining in the underground clubs. Real estate investment started to take off, and with it mass gentrification and the beginning of the city's unaffordability for most people, including struggling artists. In the 90s Rudy Giuliani and his Quality of Life enforcement turned Times Square into a theme park and ran the remaining alternative scenes out of Manhattan; even in the boroughs it became a tenuous existence for many artists and musicians.

Now Manhattan is a playground for the very rich, the upper middle class, tourists and corporations, while the middle class can squeak by in the boroughs. It's a much safer place to walk around, day or night, but as Chris Stein of Blondie says wryly at the end of NY77: 'I don't think big cities should be safe for women and children and families. It's just not good for the arts, you know....It all becomes f**king real estate after a while.'

Disco, for the in-crowd at least, was pretty much over by '77, though it was charting by then in the mainstream. As for Punk, '77 was the year of Punk, but punk had already been born a few years before and was about to die.

There's a good BBC documentary called "Once Upon a Time in New York: the Birth of Hip Hop, Disco and Punk", which you will probably like. Also, if you can find it, there was a 6 part BBC Radio documentary called Good Times - The Story Of Disco.

The War on Kids (2009)

I'll say more on this later, but it was of the most infuriating documentaries I've ever seen, and one of the best. Full of energy, and bias or not, I agreed with everything being said. Hopefully this will loose relevance soon.

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
Exit Through the Gift Shop and Inside Job were the last two documentaries I watched and also two I would highly recommend.

I loved "the imposter" , "inside job" , and "the corporation".. brilliant and well done.

My Voyage to Italy

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies

Two documentaries that i saw and which i recommend.

After Innocence... a doc following death row imates that were exonerated from their crimes once dna evidence became available.

Many of these people had their lives turned upside down, damaged beyond repair with decades taken from them and being given absolutely nothing for compensation in return.

As much as I have been screwed by the system throughout my life, it's nothing compared to what these folks have been through. I don't believe in the death penalty, and this doc definitely reinforced my view of that seeing all these innocent people that were scheduled to die. the state is just as guilty for murder of the innocent, it's undeniable after seeing these people set free. And there are countless others that did not have their dna evidence preserved for sampling decades later, who are without hope and who will be killed.

there is also a segment with one of the rape victim woman, who had pointed out her 'attacker' and it was her eye witness that put him on death row. She picked out the wrong man, and she talked about her experiences and showed that she was a white chick and it was just two black dudes that looked pretty similar so she couldn't tell the difference. i mean they did look strikingly similar, and it really makes you question eye witness testimony as well. it's one thing to look at a side by side picture, and another thing to have a traumatic moment and then pick someone out days later.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Richard Pryor; Omit the Logic

While this DID focus more on his troubled times, it was, in no way, judgemental, preachy, or treated Mr. Pryor with anything less than respect. The people interviewed were close friends, ex's (quite a few) and people he had worked with.
It was informative, unbiased and made with love and respect. Something you don't always see, or worse, faked.

I don't know if any of you have heard of an artist by the name of Rodriguez, well i know this is no music forum but the documentary of his life (Searching For Sugarman) is a definite must see if you enjoy good cinematics and music.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I don't know if any of you have heard of an artist by the name of Rodriguez, well i know this is no music forum but the documentary of his life (Searching For Sugarman) is a definite must see if you enjoy good cinematics and music.
Just watched last night. Just about the most amazing story I have ever heard of.

10/10

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work.

Truly exceptional film making of one of comedy's greatest icons! It's quite a remarkable insight into the woman who broke through into the main stream when the world of comedy was dominated by men and women shouldn't have been saying some of the things that came out of her mouth.

It's lovely!! And if you saw celeb apprentice with her in, this is the icing on the cake!

The Gatekeepers - one of the best films of 2012.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."