Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Blow Out (1981) - 6/10 - in my opinion, I know better movies of Brian de Palma

I consider this DePalma's best film and, if anyone were to ever make the case that he had a "masterpiece" (I don't think he does but I like his films, this one most of all), I don't know what film other than this one they could submit.

It's neck and neck with Carlito's Way and Phantom of the Paradise for my favorite De Palma, and while I need to revisit Blow Out, I'd also give it a much higher rating. It would be a good candidate for a remake since its theme of having to live with injustices of the rich and powerful seems even more relevant these days.

Victim of The Night
It's neck and neck with Carlito's Way and Phantom of the Paradise for my favorite De Palma, and while I need to revisit Blow Out, I'd also give it a much higher rating. It would be a good candidate for a remake since its theme of having to live with injustices of the rich and powerful seems even more relevant these days.
Carlito's Way would have been my No.1 before my recent viewing of Blow Out.
I could see a remake but there is no way on Earth anyone today would make this film with the artistry that DePalma put into it and no studio would have the patience for its pace.
I love Phantom Of The Paradise but I feel it has issues (the music, particularly). A film I personally enjoy a great deal but would have trouble getting past about half of my friends.

This was one of my favorite movies for years but I haven't seen it since about 1998.
Actually been meaning, recently, to get back to it.
But it's been quite beyond my control.

LOVED this movie...Glenn Close was breathtaking...should have won the Oscar for this too.

I consider this DePalma's best film and, if anyone were to ever make the case that he had a "masterpiece" (I don't think he does but I like his films, this one most of all), I don't know what film other than this one they could submit.
It's my favorite from him too, followed by Carlito's Way and Casualties of War.

La orgía de los muertos (1973)
aka The Hanging Woman, The Orgy of the Dead, etc.

A pretty weak and weird Spanish murder mystery with zombies, necrophilia, and all the other things commonly associated with whodunnits. Paul Naschy does an interesting role as a completely normal gravedigger. The dubbing is very bad as well. Only for the fans of Eurotrash.

--
Tony Arzenta (Big Guns) (1973)

An Italian crime film about a mob assassin who wants to retire. It's heavily influenced by the likes of Le Samourai (it even stars Alain Delon in a trenchcoat) and The Big Heat, but at the same time, it feels surprisingly fresh (maybe because the same plot is still in heavy circulation). Nothing revolutionary but a competent rehash of the same old.

Sorry, didn't pick up on the joke, ya know how it is on forums.
We can discuss it seriously or not, we've picked this movie apart of past forums because there are a number of us who think it is High Slasher and above the camp (though your joke is not lost on me this time) and amateurishness of a lot of the genre, while there are others who don't.
If I wasn't comfortable spending my time discussing movies, I wouldn't be here.
I don't mind discussing it? Would you want me to make a separate thread for this? To be clear I don't think it's high or low. I think it's just decent, and again, "campy." But not on par with the likes of other such films of the genre like Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween. I'm sure we may at least come to that agreement?
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

This was one of my favorite movies for years but I haven't seen it since about 1998.
Actually been meaning, recently, to get back to it.
But it's been quite beyond my control.

The costumes, sets, and Malkovich are awesome! My only problem is Glenn Close. Her acting is perfect, but she's just not hot enough for the role. She's got that auntie look about her, so her idea of a "prize" is like getting hit on by a bag lady.

Beware of a Holy Whore, 1971

A group of actors and crew slum around a hotel as they wait for both funding and the arrival of the film's director. As they wait, the group sleeps with each other in various combinations, squabbles, and angsts. When the director does arrive, things only go further off the rails.

Is this really a review of this film? Maybe.

Just to be incredibly upfront, about a third of the way into the film I semi tuned out. But this isn't a slam on the film or on myself as a viewer. One of the benefits of watching several films in a row from a director with such a signature vibe is that you find yourself in the rhythm of their approach.

For lack of a better word, I felt more like I was hanging out with the film as opposed to "watching" it.

So what can I say in this pseudo-review, considering I couldn't actually really describe the plot to you or name more than one or two characters?

Well, the usual Fassbinder signatures are on display. Nice compositions, a borderline comic look at fraught love dynamics.

The film-within-a-film conceit is a mixed bag. Inherently you start to overthink what he is trying to say. Now, what I read after was that he said it was just a commentary on the difficulty of working with the same people who are your friends or lovers, which is simpler than what I was trying to tease out of it.

For me, this one lacked a compelling central character. Perhaps on a more attentive rewatch I would find more depth to the characters.

Old review that I'm re-posting for the MF's pleasure:

Le Samourai (Melville, '67)

There is no greater solitude than that of a samurai, unless it is that of the tiger in the jungle...

WARNING: spoilers below
A man lies on the bed in his shabby, absurdly spartan apartment, smoking listlessly, as the intermittent rush of cars outside, and the incessant chirping of a small bird within are the only noises disturbing the silence. After a while, he gets up, places an undeniably out-of-style, but still incredibly debonair trenchcoat and fedora upon himself, stopping to adjust it perfectly in a mirror before he walks out, exiting to descent down the building's stairs to the rain-soaked streets of a grey, mid-century Paris. Outside, a gendarme patrols amongst the parked vehicles, the man watching him warily, before pulling a ridiculously outsized chain of keys from his pocket, and covertly steals one of the cars, as a strangely carnival-like piece of music begins playing on the soundtrack, as if it's serving to transport us into his world, one that appears to be identical to our own on the surface, but is still an undeniably different reality of its own. Who is this mysterious man in question? His name is Jef Costello, and he serves as the "hero" of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai, a film whose sleek aesthetics and tale of a lone, elite criminal have made it one of those most iconic and influential works of modern crime cinema, but one that still stands apart as a surreal, stylish classic in its own right.

It's a film as sparse and cold as the lifestyle of its titular "samourai" Jef, played in a career-defining turn from Alain Delon, as a Parisian hitman who lives in about as much solitude as a human being possibly can, with nothing to keep him company in his grotesquely underfurnished apartment besides his impeccable retro fashion sense, the ever-present chirping of his pet bird flitting about in its cage, and the occasional outside visit to his lover (and professional alibi) Jane, the only hint of companionship or human warmth in his life. Of course, that's the way he likes things, as it keeps unnecessary entanglements from complicating his line of work, that is, until he accidentally crosses paths with a beautiful pianist in the process of completing an "assignment", a complication that leads to Jef finding himself in the crosshairs of both the police and his murderous employers, even though both of them prove unable to meet the mettle of this modern samurai in the end.

It's a simple plot, granted, but the story is definitely not the star here, and to be honest, there are times where if feels like even Delon isn't the star of the film; rather, the real stand-out here is Melville's style, which somehow feels both incredibly minimal and undeniably vivid at the same time, with its emphasis on long, dialogue-free stretches of near-total silence, camerawork that mixes groundbreaking, guerilla-style handheld work during chase scenes with more subtly active cinematography during calmer moments, and its sleek, stylish, modernistic production design that's often stark and monochrome to the point of slight unreality, as Melville takes the world as we know it and alters it as he sees fit, in order to tailor it to the film as perfectly as Costello's 40's-style trenchcoat.

Speaking of whom, Delon is no slouch here either, as the unshakably calm, placid professionalism of Jef's demeanor is as cold as the constant, icy-blue stare of his eyes from underneath his ever-present hat, and his underlying, personal code of conduct shines through his characterization despite his lack of dialogue here, as he's a man who's defined by actions rather than words, as is almost everyone else in the film for that matter, as characters often operate in complete, no-nonsense silence, and Melville trusts us not to get antsy with a lack of chatter, rather, letting us just observe events and luxriate in his rich sense of aesthetics as we do so, as, while we observe Jef and watch one master at work, we're doing the same for Melville himself. The entire film has this fascinating sense of solitude about it, as, since Jef never talks unnecessarily, we never learn all that much concrete about his personal ethos, rather, Melville leaves that up to our interpretation, giving us just enough clues to hint at a deeper sense of fatalism beneath the facade of the cold-blooded hitman, as Jef lives by a cryptic, but undeniable code of honor, and, at the end of the film, dies with the honor of a true samurai, but not without leaving an indelible mark on the people around him, much like the one Le Samourai has left behind on generations of filmmakers ever since.

Victim of The Night
I don't mind discussing it? Would you want me to make a separate thread for this? To be clear I don't think it's high or low. I think it's just decent, and again, "campy." But not on par with the likes of other such films of the genre like Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween. I'm sure we may at least come to that agreement?
Sounds fair.

Victim of The Night
The costumes, sets, and Malkovich are awesome! My only problem is Glenn Close. Her acting is perfect, but she's just not hot enough for the role. She's got that auntie look about her, so her idea of a "prize" is like getting hit on by a bag lady.
Yeah, I'm not feelin' that, I thought she was perfect all around.

Victim of The Night
Old review that I'm re-posting for the MF's pleasure:

Le Samourai (Melville, '67)

There is no greater solitude than that of a samurai, unless it is that of the tiger in the jungle...

And for mine. One of my favorite movies and a special movie to me as well.

And for mine. One of my favorite movies and a special movie to me as well.
I mostly just reposted it because I was reminded by Takoma mentioning it in a review recently, but regardless, I'm glad that you enjoyed me doing so anyway.