It appears IMDB has changed its format.

Tools    

I'd hope this was an April Fool's joke - but it doesn't appear to be.

IMDB has changed its format so it's no longer in a vertical, linear list form, but now appears to be a horizontal list using photos (for every movie someone was in as opposed to a title)... and under an actor's filmography you have to open a new window for every category (whereas previously it would expand the list you were already looking at while still having all their other information present).

Also, actors' films now show up in columns rather than a linear list, making finding info by date confusing.

It seems more uncomfortable now and counterintuitive to finding information quickly (which was pretty much the primary purpose of IMDB). I hope they switch back to their old format (but doubt they will).

I'm not seeing any changes on mobile.
I just looked again and got a standard page with a random selection - at the top of the page (in a yellow bar) it had an option to look at the new format.

On the new format page it said there was an option to look at the old standard page but only for "A limited time" ...which sounds like they are planning to switch to this new format with no option to view the standard format.

It's IMDB's new format, blame mobile phones or blame IMDB for not making two versions of their web site. It looks like crap, it works like crap. Utterly unusable to me.

An example:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

EDIT: that link I posted does NOT show the new look, you still have to click the "sneak peek new version" at top of an IMDB page.

It looks normal for me as well, but I did notice that they changed the format a few days ago for a brief period of time. I wasn't a fan of that format though (save for the lists, which looked fine, I suppose). It felt quite imbalanced given that the right half of the screen was often completely blank. Hopefully, that change won't be permanent.

It's IMDB's new format, blame mobile phones or blame IMDB for not making two versions of their web site. It looks like crap, it works like crap. Utterly unusable to me.

An example:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/
I clicked on the URL, and didn't notice any difference. But then I clicked on the "sneak peek new version", and it's pretty awful. If it switches permanently I'll likely stop using it. I expect IMDB will start getting a loss of viewers. There are others to use.

I actually like the treatments on Wikipedia better, but they don't give any ratings, nor do they offer a Parents' Guide, which have always been nice features on IMDB.

I clicked on the URL, and didn't notice any difference. But then I clicked on the "sneak peek new version", and it's pretty awful. If it switches permanently I'll likely stop using it. I expect IMDB will start getting a loss of viewers. There are others to use.

I actually like the treatments on Wikipedia better, but they don't give any ratings, nor do they offer a Parents' Guide, which have always been nice features on IMDB.
I'm hoping someone comes up with a Firefox add-on to change the IMDB web pages to something more usable. Either that or a website interface for using IMDB without that new look! FreeTube does that now for YouTube. Though FreeTube is more about privacy.

It looks normal for me as well, but I did notice that they changed the format a few days ago for a brief period of time. I wasn't a fan of that format though (save for the lists, which looked fine, I suppose). It felt quite imbalanced given that the right half of the screen was often completely blank. Hopefully, that change won't be permanent.
are u using pc aswell?

I'm hoping someone comes up with a Firefox add-on to change the IMDB web pages to something more usable. Either that or a website interface for using IMDB without that new look! FreeTube does that now for YouTube. Though FreeTube is more about privacy.
Thanks for the link. Will definitely check this out. Using YouTube always makes me nervous... I never use FB, Twit, Inst, or any of the others, even though I use privacy blockers, VPN, etc.

Thanks for the link. Will definitely check this out. Using YouTube always makes me nervous... I never use FB, Twit, Inst, or any of the others, even though I use privacy blockers, VPN, etc.
I don't do social media either but I do use YouTube, so I really need to check it out.

I generally do not use the desktop version of IMDB, mainly because it's so loaded with ads that monopolize my time by slowing up pages. The iPhone app is much more economical and gets what I want about 90% of the time.

A lot of commercial web sites have tried to get away from separate phone and desktop versions by having software that sorta adapts to the device and screen, but the bigger the screen, the more annoying the ads and interface are, especially those damnable side-scrolling "lists". They're an evolving technology that often is just annoying, like when I get the ads for learning Spanish in 10 days or finding out about specific ancestors from 15,000 years ago. You'd think that, at some point, annoying ads will reach some sort of saturation point and advertisers will realize that people don't buy stuff when you deliberately annoy them, but apparently not yet.

I generally do not use the desktop version of IMDB, mainly because it's so loaded with ads that monopolize my time by slowing up pages. The iPhone app is much more economical and gets what I want about 90% of the time.

A lot of commercial web sites have tried to get away from separate phone and desktop versions by having software that sorta adapts to the device and screen, but the bigger the screen, the more annoying the ads and interface are, especially those damnable side-scrolling "lists". They're an evolving technology that often is just annoying, like when I get the ads for learning Spanish in 10 days or finding out about specific ancestors from 15,000 years ago. You'd think that, at some point, annoying ads will reach some sort of saturation point and advertisers will realize that people don't buy stuff when you deliberately annoy them, but apparently not yet.
i uselly use ad blocker that block ads and commercials. its much better on the pc