🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.

Welcome to the Star Trek TOS thread!

Here, we will discuss anything and everything related to the original series.

Post your favorite pictures, quotes, music, videos, whatever. Talk about your favorite episodes, favorite scenes. Maybe post a quote or a picture and see if anyone can guess which episode it's from. Let's have some fun!

You may also post on the movies with the original crew. You may also post about things found in other Star Trek television shows and movies only if they are directly related to the original series. Posts to this thread are intended to emphasis the original television series (1966 - 1969).

Sound like fun? Get posting.

Live long and prosper.

They've been playing TOS in the UK a lot recently on a particular channel.

One thing I noticed about the original series... people say it was cutting edge with casting and liberating with the races involved etc...

But, watching it today, it's clear to see it still had lashings of sexism and stereotyping.
The original Klingons were white guys painted in creosote with glue-on fu-manchu moustaches, something reminiscent of John Wayne playing Genghis Khan... and all the female characters wore skimpy dresses with bare midriffs and all Kirk has to do is appear in the scene and they immediately swoon for him

Still fun to watch though through firmly rolled eyes.

Does this mean it will now be acceptable to call people in this thread 'Tossers'??

Before anyone jumps on me, I loved the original series as a child.

Ok, Mr. Wells. I found that scene you mentioned in The Galileo Seven where she goes to the floor for no apparent reason.

3:47 into it.

Nice shot. Somebody has the hots for this lady.

They've been playing TOS in the UK a lot recently on a particular channel.

One thing I noticed about the original series... people say it was cutting edge with casting and liberating with the races involved etc...

But, watching it today, it's clear to see it still had lashings of sexism and stereotyping.
The original Klingons were white guys painted in creosote with glue-on fu-manchu moustaches, something reminiscent of John Wayne playing Genghis Khan... and all the female characters wore skimpy dresses with bare midriffs and all Kirk has to do is appear in the scene and they immediately swoon for him

Yeah, I do notice those skimpy skirts. Roddenberry had a huge thing about showing a lot of skin in his show. He loved women.

From Dagger of the Mind

Does this mean it will now be acceptable to call people in this thread 'Tossers'??

Before anyone jumps on me, I loved the original series as a child.

The formal term is Trekker.

Yeah, Rodent, it had its flaws but it still was cerebral for its time. Anyone interested in sharing their five favorite episodes? Mine are, in no particular order: City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine, All Our Yesterdays, The Trouble with Tribbles and The Apple.

This is a piece of trivia I only learned a few years back... James Doohan had (I'm not sure it it was one or more) fingers missing on one hand.
During filming of the show & movies they made a point to not film or obscure his deformed hand. I don't remember if this was a birth defect or if he'd lost his fingers in some accident (maybe someone else knows).

Good question Joe. Very logical.

Shore Leave
The Menagerie (1 & 2)
Mirror, Mirror
This Side of Paradise
The City on the Edge of Forever

TRIBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...people say it was cutting edge with casting and liberating with the races involved etc...

But, watching it today, it's clear to see it still had lashings of sexism and stereotyping. The original Klingons were white guys painted in creosote with glue-on fu-manchu moustaches, something reminiscent of John Wayne playing Genghis Khan...
What sexism? and what stereotyping are you specifically talking about?

What did you want the Klingons to look like? Sounds like you're under the impression that Klingons are suppose to be black or played by black actors? They are their own race, they're aliens. They have the dark make up so that they won't look like the humans on the show. The original Star Trek didn't have a big budget to work with.

and all the female characters wore skimpy dresses with bare midriffs
Bare middriffs? Maybe some of the the alien women did, the crew women didn't. Well except Uhura did in the alternate universe.

Why? I'd say you're judging the show by 21st century sensibilities. For it's time it was hugely cutting edge in breaking social and political barriers even Martin Luther King Jr. took notice of the shows importance to race relations.

Yeah, I do notice those skimpy skirts. Roddenberry had a huge thing about showing a lot of skin in his show. He loved women.
According to Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Janice Rand) the mini skirt style uniform was her idea. Originally the women crew members were going to wear black slacks like the men, but Grace told Gene Roddenberry that the girls should look like girls, and so the miniskirt style uniform was introduced.

This is a piece of trivia I only learned a few years back... James Doohan had (I'm not sure it it was one or more) fingers missing on one hand.
During filming of the show & movies they made a point to not film or obscure his deformed hand. I don't remember if this was a birth defect or if he'd lost his fingers in some accident (maybe someone else knows).
I only learned about Doohan's missing finger lately too. I've never noticed it though while watching the show.

...Anyone interested in sharing their five favorite episodes? Mine are, in no particular order:
City on the Edge of Forever
The Doomsday Machine
All Our Yesterdays
The Trouble with Tribbles
The Apple.
Those are all good ones! Glad to see some love for The Doomsday Machine, that's one of my favorites. The doomsday machine looked very impressive for the small budget the show had. It was a very dramatic episode and the guest star William Windom as Commodore Decker gave one helluva powerful performance.

The Apple is really fun, though Kirk should have been court martial for his actions on the planet. Check this out, Spock gets hit with poison plant darts from a flower, a few seconds later Kirk bends down and smells a flower Then after a crewman is blown to bits by an explosive rock Kirk tells everyone to be real careful...OK that makes sense, but then he has the landing party run to a clearing and yet another crewman is blown up by the rocks. Nuts I tell ya But it's a fun episode.

Good question Joe. Very logical.

Shore Leave
The Menagerie (1 & 2)
Mirror, Mirror
This Side of Paradise
The City on the Edge of Forever
Love all of those two. I'm not sure but Spock might have gotten some action in This Side of Paradise.

Way too hard for me to come up with only 5 favorite episodes. But I'll try

1 The Cage
2 The City on the Edge of Forever
3 Balance of Terror
4 Tomorrow is Yesterday
5 Catspaw

Same here regarding 5 favorites.
It would almost be easier to list ones I didn't like:
One that comes to mind is The Alternative Factor where an alien named Lazarus (Robert Brown) has to keep fighting an anti-matter version of himself - what makes this episode really annoying is the repetitive scenes of the alien wrestling with himself on a "negative" style of film.

Same here regarding 5 favorites.
It would almost be easier to list ones I didn't like:
One that comes to mind is The Alternative Factor where an alien named Lazarus (Robert Brown) has to keep fighting an anti-matter version of himself - what makes this episode really annoying is the repetitive scenes of the alien wrestling with himself on a "negative" style of film.
Alternative Factor isn't a fav of mine either because of one flaw...

Spoiler coming up* Kirk decides to save both the anti matter and matter universes by sealing both Lazarus in this spacial tube that connects the two universes...Both men will be trapped there fighting each other for eternity! Talk about a scary version of hell! Why not just kill the insane Lazarus thus safeguarding both universes?

Alternative Factor isn't a fav of mine either because of one flaw...

Spoiler coming up* Kirk decides to save both the anti matter and matter universes he has to seal both Lazarus in this spacial tube that connects both universes...and both men will be trapped there fighting each other for eternity! Talk about a scary version of hell! Why not just kill the insane Lazarus thus safeguarding both universes?
Yes! I do remember feeling somewhat terrible at that resolution - if I were in the crew my conscience would never rest knowing my only solution was to condemn a man to an eternal nightmare. And the clincher was, at the end, the Enterprise just flies off like "oh well... let's move on."

Some other episodes had solemn or maybe even questionable resolutions, but usually the Enterprise didn't leave without some glimmer of hope for those still planet-side, but not this episode.