Martin Scorsese's The Irishman

Tools    

Heh heh @John-Connor very generous of you( as always).

Had been looking forward to this one but....well, I may be in the minority here, but from the trailer, this film looks like a disappointment to me. Sounded tantalizing-top notch director and actors - but looks like same old tired ground.

Well, you folks can have my share here; sorry, but there aren't enough skittles in the world
My concern is still the graphics, but I'm holding on to my share of skittles, not writing off scorsese/pacino/pesci/deniro based on 100+ seconds of footage.

You have a valid point to make - @John-Connor, and the reviewers are all saying lottsa good things about it.

I'm still not saying I would relent on my boycott, but if I did , I would need something more robust than skittles.

You have a valid point to make - @John-Connor, and the reviewers are all saying lottsa good things about it.

I'm still not saying I would relent on my boycott, but if I did , I would need something more robust than skittles.
May I suggest som fa-va beans and a nice Chianti

And If it turns out to be a bad movie, you get to drop a big fat robust; "I told you so" in this thread.

The new poster attached
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	irishman.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	57279  
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
One of the worst posters I've ever seen. For such a high profile film from Netflix and all that damn money they're spending, you'd think they would make a decent poster.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Three-and-a-half hours is a long time to spend in that uncanny valley, but I guess we'll see.

Three-and-a-half hours is a long time to spend in that uncanny valley, but I guess we'll see.
could be good, im gonna keep my hopes low, but if done right i ll be more than happy

I enjoyed Scorsese's comments about superhero movies not being real cinema.

However, his latest film has such a tiny theatrical run that it almost seems like he's taking the piss. I mean 'The Irishman' has just 1 showing in my entire country - and that was last night at 7pm in a tiny arthouse cinema miles from nowhere.

I get that it was either this or not have the film at all. But it seems an odd age we live in where one of the biggest films of the year is basically not in any of the cinemas. I'm glad I've got a nice TV.

I enjoyed Scorsese's comments about superhero movies not being real cinema.

However, his latest film has such a tiny theatrical run that it almost seems like he's taking the piss. I mean 'The Irishman' has just 1 showing in my entire country - and that was last night at 7pm in a tiny arthouse cinema miles from nowhere.

I get that it was either this or not have the film at all. But it seems an odd age we live in where one of the biggest films of the year is basically not in any of the cinemas. I'm glad I've got a nice TV.
I also enjoyed Scorsese comments on superhero movies, because I kinda agree with him, I just don't really enjoyed why I believe he said it.

It won't be shown in Portugal as well, not sure why. I'm sure it will probably appear in some crappy small cinema, but I won't search for it.

Yes, nice observation, and I think that pissed him a little bit, and might be one of the reasons he went all gypsy on superhero movies. After that affirmation, days later he said that he believes cinemas should have more narrative movies, movies where the audience shouldn't be focused on the plot, shouldn't be waiting for something at the end, in one word, more artistic films, about real emotions. What I believe his basically saying is: look at me, one of the best directors ever, a maker of masterpieces, now begging to be financed to make something because of you stupid uneducated kids, all watching meaningless "movies" don't spending money on mine.

I also have a fair good TV, and to be honest, I don't spend much money going to theaters, I'm changing that, because I believe there are many great films being made today, great, great movies, on the A24, Amazon Studios, and not just that, independent movies are starting to have more recognition I believe, it's getting easier for the really good ones to reach the theaters because of the festivals, and because more great actors are more open to participate in them.

I also enjoyed Scorsese comments on superhero movies, because I kinda agree with him, I just don't really enjoyed why I believe he said it.

It won't be shown in Portugal as well, not sure why. I'm sure it will probably appear in some crappy small cinema, but I won't search for it.

Yes, nice observation, and I think that pissed him a little bit, and might be one of the reasons he went all gypsy on superhero movies. After that affirmation, days later he said that he believes cinemas should have more narrative movies, movies where the audience shouldn't be focused on the plot, shouldn't be waiting for something at the end, in one word, more artistic films, about real emotions. What I believe his basically saying is: look at me, one of the best directors ever, a maker of masterpieces, now begging to be financed to make something because of you stupid uneducated kids, all watching meaningless "movies" don't spending money on mine.

I also have a fair good TV, and to be honest, I don't spend much money going to theaters, I'm changing that, because I believe there are many great films being made today, great, great movies, on the A24, Amazon Studios, and not just that, independent movies are starting to have more recognition I believe, it's getting easier for the really good ones to reach the theaters because of the festivals, and because more great actors are more open to participate in them.
Yeah pretty much. I agree with Scorsese's main point.

It's a good time for movies and seeing them. It's a shame for the avid cinema goer though that this is now becoming the norm - interesting movies not shown in your city.

This could be 10 hours long and I won't complain.

3.5 hours of watching a Scorsese/Deniro/Pacino/Pesci/Keitel mob crime drama beats all the Marvel and DC Comics movies combined.

Welcome to the human race...
It's less the length than the effects, but then again it's not like the people who have managed to see it complained too much (if at all) about that particular aspect so I'm not too worried.

The trick is not minding
If you think that’s too long stay away from Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather part 1 and 2, Schindlers List, Apocalypse Now.....you know, classics.