The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
No. Just looked it up on IMDb and it's almost 3.5 hours long. Don't think I'll be watching it anytime soon.
I almost nominated Giant for the current HoF (this was, of course, before I knew CR was nominating East of Eden). But with that length, I knew I couldn't do that to people. But if you ever care to watch it, I think it is worth it.

My favorite performance of his is Rebel Without a Cause. It's also the favorite movie. Giant is great too, though. I haven't seen East of Eden yet.
I think you would really like East of Eden. It really is a pretty good movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
annnnnnd, now I'm caught up with everything I missed this late-spring/early summer of your reviews.
serious rep for all the chance taking you did on so many different 50's flicks, bravo.

and I fully agree about Lucifer the cat in Cinderella getting so-called comeuppance when the sisters and mother got squat was a raw deal (he's my favorite of the entire movie.) It always made me chuckle growing up that they named him Lucifer, I'm kinda surprised I never named any of my cats that.

annnnnnd, now I'm caught up with everything I missed this late-spring/early summer of your reviews.
serious rep for all the chance taking you did on so many different 50's flicks, bravo.
Thanks! Also thanks for all the rep.

and I fully agree about Lucifer the cat in Cinderella getting so-called comeuppance when the sisters and mother got squat was a raw deal (he's my favorite of the entire movie.) It always made me chuckle growing up that they named him Lucifer, I'm kinda surprised I never named any of my cats that.
Yeah, the whole thing with Lucifer in that movie is just bull. He wasn't mean. He was just a cat doing cat things. I've worked in veterinary clinics for like 15 years and I've met a few Lucifers - they're usually pretty sweet. Animals with names like "Sweetie" and "Baby" are the ones that you've gotta look out for.

Mary and Max. (Adam Elliot, 2009)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/14/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Just wanted to revisit a favorite
Rewatch: Yes

I watched this movie for the first time about two and half years ago and it was instant love. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen it since then and it was just as effective today as it was on my initial viewing.

This is the touching and poignant story of two lonely misfits who find each other almost accidentally and, through letters, form a strong bond of friendship, despite living on separate continents. It addresses issues of loneliness, bullying, mental illness and disability, sexuality, alcoholism, misunderstanding and betrayal, and suicide. But despite its heavy subject matter (and the waterworks it induces in me every time), this isn't a hard watch at all. Instead it's full of dark and witty humor, charmingly crude character and set designs, and impressive voice performances from Philip Seymour Hoffman, Toni Collette, Barry Humphries, and Bethany Whitmore.

Mary and Max. is a film that makes me giggle like an idiot and cry like a baby. It's an absolutely perfect movie watching experience and tonight it re-affirmed that it deserves its place in my top ten.

I wanna see that again.

Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le pacte des loups) (Christophe Gans, 2001)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/14/16
Reason For Watching: Action Movie List
Rewatch? Yes.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a highly stylized hybrid of creature horror, fantasy, mystery, period romance, and martial arts spectacle that at one point held a spot in my top ten.

Set in 18th century France, this is the tale of two men who go to investigate a series of deaths in the Gevaudan province that have been linked to a wolf-like beast that preys on women and children. One is a naturalist and taxidermist, the other a native American who says little but who exhibits great strength and loyalty.

But this really isn't a movie about story. It's about style. It's about gorgeous cinematography and lavish costumes that pop on the screen. And it's about fight scenes and stunts that thrill and excite. Adding to the visual feast is the cast. Émilie Dequenne and Monica Belluci are both stunningly beautiful and alluring. Vincent Cassel, though not really physically attractive, brings a performance that is both chillingly sinister and strangely sexy. But what really stands out to me is Mark Dacascos as Mani (playing an Iroquois despite lacking any native blood). Holy ***** is that man beautiful.

Ultimately, however, despite the beauty of the film (and its cast) I didn't love Brotherhood as much as I once did. It's a gorgeous and exciting movie but, except for Mani, the emotional connection that I need is a little lacking. Still it's a solid choice for pure entertainment.

+

Always though Brotherhood of the Wolf looked interesting. And of course Mary and Max is very good, don't like it quite as much as you but i do think it is a great film.

I only saw it once, but I didn't get on with Brotherhood Of The Wolf. I just didn't think it was as cool or glorious as other/it thought it was.

Maybe, but if you mean by virtue of you having already decided you liked it, I must admit I actually did enjoy Mary and Max.
No, I mean I think you're going to hate it by virtue of the number of animals used (wolves, horses, dogs, sheep, goats, crows) in the production and the depiction of violence against them. The AHA could not get answers on how the scenes were achieved.

I only saw it once, but I didn't get on with Brotherhood Of The Wolf. I just didn't think it was as cool or glorious as other/it thought it was.
Yeah, but you don't like a lot of cool things. Like Gladiator and Indiana Jones.

No, I mean I think you're going to hate it by virtue of the number of animals used (wolves, horses, dogs, sheep, goats, crows) in the production and the depiction of violence against them. The AHA could not get answers on how the scenes were achieved.
AH. That's gonna be hard to get past.

Rocky (John J. Alvidsend, 1976)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/20/16
Reason For Watching: the Movies You Think Everyone Loves thread
Rewatch: No

I attempted to watch this movie once before, but ended up shutting it off after a little less than an hour.

I get that people love underdog stories and I can get behind them, too, provided that I find the underdog in question likable. But I didn't like anybody in this movie. My initial impression of Rocky himself was of a dim-witted brute (who surrounds himself with people who are even more brutish than himself) and my impression of his lady love Adrian was of a weak-willed and submissive woman who was equally dim-witted (bitch, grow a spine!). Those impressions changed little by the film's conclusion.

I was also pretty underwhelmed by the dialogue and cinematography. I'm not saying they were bad, they just weren't great, which just about sums up how I feel about the film as a whole. I really can't find anything to praise about this film, but there isn't really anything glaringly bad about it either. It just doesn't appeal to me.

+