Watchmen

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I'm still hoping this never comes to be. With Aronofsky or anybody else. Not as a feature film. The butchering of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a shame, but there's not a deep love and enormous respect for it that exists for The Watchmen.

Ugh. Let it rest in peace, or have HBO pony up Angels in America-type dough to do it right, untruncated, with somebody who loves the material at the helm. Otherwise, please don't do it at all. Please.
Sadly, I have to agree. While I'd love to see it translated accurately into live-action, I simply have no confidence in Hollywood to accurately re-create the experience of reading the original work. And what hurts most is that there are tons of amazing actors and actresses out there who could really bring this project to life, so long as it was in the right hands.

A system of cells interlinked
I have some fears as well, as they would clearly need at least 4 hours to do this thing right, and they would have to ditch the pirate sub-story as well to maintain cohesion on screen. In related events, Justice League Unlimited (Cartoon Network) just did an old Alan Moore Superman story(Supes Bday w/ the black mercy parasite). Very cool story, and they did a decent job, although they truncated it a bit....

New interviews with the new director, Paul Greengrass.
Part I, Part II.

In the Beginning...
Well, it looks like Watchmen is canned (that is, unless another studio decides to pick it up).

Read:

Plug Pulled On Watchmen Movie

I hate to say it, but I'm somewhat pleased about this. Paramount isn't the right kind of studio for something as avant-garde as Watchmen; and anyway, the film really needs to be a mini-series. Not that it'll happen, because it won't - but if it can't be done right, then it shouldn't be done at all. Reading about Hayter's script made me ill - there were so many unnecessary changes and alterations. Frankly, I'd hoped that those changes were driven by Paramount brass, and not by Hayter himself. Perhaps he'll have a chance to amend the script for a better studio, if such is the case...

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Well, it looks like Watchmen is canned.
Yippee!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Now if only a meteor fragment would nail wherever they're filming V for Vendetta (London, I hope), we'd be set for another year or so.
Filming for V for Vendetta takes place in both London, England, UK and Berlin, Germany.

Thanks to IMDB

Watchmen has been cancelled. HOORAY.

No Watchmen movie news, thank goodness. Seriously, I hope this is never, ever made into a feature film.

BUT, for fans of the novel or anybody who simply wants to see what all the fuss is about, there's a brand new super-deluxe edition that's just been released. The Watchmen: Absolute Edition (ISBN#1401207138, $75) is a gigantic 13" x 8˝" x 2" hardcover edition of the book in a hard slipcase. In addition to all twelve issues reprinted in oversized form, for the first time colorist John Higgins is able to reproduce the vibrant images as intended on heavy paper stock, resulting in the best looking edition yet. There are also thirty or so pages of supplemental material, including what the original script looked like and the sketches of each character as they were refined by Moore and Gibbons.

For anybody who loves The Watchmen, put this book on your holiday wishlist.

WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN?

You know Watchmen was on Time's 100 Greatest Peices of Lit Ever Written in the English Language list, right?

In the Beginning...
Yep. It was the only graphic novel on there.

And last time I checked, it was topping the Popular Vote list (right above Orwell's 1984). I don't know if it's THAT good, but as a fan of Watchmen, it's kinda nice to see the recognition.

Someone needs their fill.
Watchmen is ruined...

to be honest, i heard bout the whole watchmen/aronofsky thing last spring on imdb, i think. i think that aronofsky really did a great job with requiem and pi. i took a course on comic books and we read the watchmen in it. i absolutely loved the comic. had never heard of it until i read it. i think aronofsky could really do well with the movie

Someone needs their fill.
Well, with the sucess of V for Vendetta I'm hoping Watchmen will be just as good. Hopefully we won't fall into that slew of bad adaptations that we had to crawl out of.

In the Beginning...
You know, given the work Snyder is doing on 300, he might actually be a decent choice. He's certainly showing that property a fair amount of respect. I'd expect the same attention to detail with Watchmen, of course (I mean, why not?).

But what really worries me is the "David Hayter script" part. Not only was his scripts rumored to be vastly altered from the source material, but Hayter is also not the calibur screenwriter that Watchmen deserves. I mean, the guy wrote The Scorpion King for chrissakes! And I'm sorry, but the X-screenplays are much too rudimentary. A little more forgivable for X-Men, I think, but Watchmen is different. Much deeper, much more carefully written, and fashioned by one writer (not a whole battalion of writers since the 1960s). The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen shows us pretty well that Alan Moore's work can't (and shouldn't) be reduced to the rudimentary. And Watchmen is the guy's masterpiece.