2011 Best Supporting Actor Oscar

Tools    

MoFos, who do you have as Oscar's Best Supporting Actor?
66.67%
12 votes
Christian Bale, THE FIGHTER
11.11%
2 votes
Johnn Hawkes, WINTER'S BONE
5.56%
1 votes
Jeremy Renner, THE TOWN
11.11%
2 votes
Mark Ruffalo, THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
5.56%
1 votes
Geoffrey Rush, THE KING'S SPEECH
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

And the nominees are...

Christian Bale, The Fighter

John Hawkes, Winter's Bone

Jeremy Renner, The Town

Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right

Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Who do you think was spectacular? Who shouldn't be there at all? Who got snubbed?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm a bit surprised that Andrew Garfield from The Social Network didn't beat out Hawkes.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Bale will win this, glad to see Renner nominated though.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm a bit surprised that Andrew Garfield from The Social Network didn't beat out Hawkes.
I would have put Garfield in over Ruffalo, but that's just my two cent's. Bale should win it.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I want Christian Bale to win. It's an Oscar he deserved a nomination and a win for American Psycho, in my opinion.

John Hawkes was viciously, painfully superb in Winter's Bone, he should win. Ruffalo would be my second choice, he was the best thing in The Kids Are All Right. Renner was good as usual. Rush was not as good as usual, and his Lionel Logue actively annoyed me. Bale was decent enough.

Bale has won most every major award this season, so he is the heavy favorite. But is there a Sugar Ray Leonard in contention that will become champ instead?

John Hawkes is fantastic in Winter's Bone. He'd been a working actor, teeny parts and one-off TV guest roles, for many years before he broke through in 2004 and 2005 starring in Miranda July's quirky indie Me and You and Everyone We Know and on HBO's "Deadwood". If you didn't know Hawkes from those projects or any of his other dozens of credits, you need only see Winter's Bone to become an instant fan. Past the age of fifty now, he's one of those thirty-five-year overnight success stories. This nomination raises his profile and should get the top directors and producers in the business seeking him out, but he has virtually no chance of winning this Oscar night.

Jeremy Renner gets nominated for a second year in a row, following his breakthrough in last year's surprise Best Picture winner The Hurt Locker. His fiercely proud and loyal bank robber in Affleck's The Town proves that he isn't letting what could be his best bite at the apple go away anytime soon. He'll be parlaying some of that industry heat for cash and franchises with his upcoming projects of the next Mission: Impossible flick and the Marvel Comics all-star group The Avengers (playing the archer Hawkeye). That will increase his bank account and his TVQ, but I would expect he's smart enough to seek out some harder hitting fare after that. He won't win an Oscar this time, either, but people are starting to know his name, yeah?

For me Mark Ruffalo is what made The Kids Are All Right sing. His scruffy sperm-donor who reluctantly and awkwardly makes his first stabs at fatherhood is a charming cad that, Hell, even a lesbian might take a shot at. This is his first Oscar nom, but by all rights he should have gotten at least a nomination if not an Oscar for his breakthrough in You Can Count on Me a decade ago, a similar type also taking his first steps toward the responsibilities of family. Since then his career has had ups and downs and maybe even a bit of bad luck with a couple potentially big projects in All the King’s Men and Ride with the Devil that turned out to be resounding flops, and his attempts at the Hollywood mainstream in the formulaic likes of Just Like Heaven, Rumor Has It and 13 Going on 30 best left forgotten. But when he sticks to his indie roots, he’s usually worth the price of admission. Back in the summer when Kids was released he became the early front runner in this category, but predictably the Oscar fare at the end of the year has bumped him down the list.

If anybody is going to upset the favorite here, it's probably going to be Geoffrey Rush. While he is recognizable the world over to kids from ages five on up from the ubiquitous Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, it can be easy to forget that this makes Rush's fourth Oscar nom in his career, and that he even won Best Actor for his international breakthrough in Shine fourteen years ago. His failed actor turned speech therapist to a reluctant and insecure monarch in The King's Speech is a fun role that Rush has a ball with. His King, Colin Firth, is a lock for Best Actor, and his Queen has a good shot at Supporting Actress. But in the history of the Oscars, only two movies have had three acting wins: Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway and Beatrice Straight from Network (1976) and Viven Leigh, Kim Hunter and Karl Malden from A Streetcar Named Desire (1951). Will The King's Speech join their ranks with a Geoffrey Rush upset? Odds are against.

It's been quite a road from the little kid in Spielberg's Empire of the Sun to the unlikely star of mega-blockbuster superhero movies, but the quality of Christian Bale's work has never been in question, even as things like an on-set profanity-filled rant to a cinematographer grabbed headlines for months. He's about to turn thirty-seven in a few days and this is his first Oscar nomination. He may not be quite as strong a lock as Firth or Portman, but this is definitely his award to lose. The physical dedication to his craft became legendary after his scary and dangerous weight loss for The Machinist six years ago, and while he didn't get that skeletal here, his commitment to the role is on gaunt display. The Fighter is, ostensibly, the story of Micky Ward's transformation from stepping stone with potential to champion, but you cannot take your eyes off of Bale every instant he's on screen. His former boxer turned addict deluding himself about another shot while being careless with his own brother's welfare is a great role, and Bale makes the most of it. After getting the less showy role of Batman while Heath Ledger pulled out all the Joker stops on way to an Oscar, now it is his turn.

This is usually the category most overflowing with potential nominees, and this year is no different. All five who made the final ballot were good and it looks like Bale's year, but there was also Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake vying for Zuckerberg's soul and empire in The Social Network, Pierce Brosnan as a former Prime Minister embroiled in crisis and secrets in The Ghost Writer, Michael Shannon magnetically over-the-top as impresario Kim Fowley in The Runaways, Bill Murray an accommodating undertaker in Get Low, Jonah Hill honed his persona to play a damaged and duplicitous creep named Cyrus, Ewan McGregor as the trusting object of way too much affection in I Love You Phillip Morris, and Kevin Kline had his best role in years as the moth-eaten gigolo known as The Extra Man.

There isn't any realistic doubt that Bale will win the Oscar, but whatever slim chance there was that it might go to somebody else was erased tonight, I think, at the Screen Actors Guild Awards. It's not so much that he won (again) because he's already won a dozen prizes and awards. It was how charming and humble his acceptance speech was, including an impromptu embrace on stage with the real life Dickie Eklund. Any of the most conservative, older Academy members left who may have had lingering reservations about Bale's bad boy off-screen reputation (earned or not) or wondered if he would be respectful of the Oscar, there can't be any residual doubt after tonight. It'll actually be a hard acceptance speech to top, but he's surely going to get the opportunity.

Bale has continued to get better and better over the years. I think he had one of the better acceptance speeches.