How do you test a movie?

Tools    

Personally, if a movie can't grab me in 30 to 45 minutes, the remote goes "click" and the movie goes on the OUT pile. Time is too valuable to be wasted at my age. How do you folks do it?

Semper Fooey
I don't wait thirty minutes. I can be out in five.

I can usually judge from the first 10 minutes or so.. & mostly from the cast.

But most of the time I decide right before the start, so I prepare myself..
& when I am prepared i can watch any $#17!!!!

If it floats it's bad. If it sinks it's good, but can't watch it any longer.

Oops ... I thought I was still at the Wiccans Have Better Hex forum.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I watch it all the way through, as I sometimes find that movies get better as they progress.

True there are few that do have nice endings...

Besides it's best to watch the entire film, cos if you didn't like it, it would give more confidence to express ones hatred on MoFO or other forums.

I personally regretted having watched No Counry For Old Men.

I make it take an essay exam.
hahaha

I can't say I've ever walked out of a film, but seeing lots of bad ones has given me VERY good intuition. It's rare now that I agree to watch something that I think will be poor but ends up surprising me.

Semper Fooey
hahaha

I can't say I've ever walked out of a film, but seeing lots of bad ones has given me VERY good intuition. It's rare now that I agree to watch something that I think will be poor but ends up surprising me.
You never catch a movie by channel surfing? You just start watching because there is nothing else on and you say, "Oh-oh!"

Ever so often, I'll give up on a film---if it's really unimaginative or making obvious errors in storytelling. But I'm a hobbyist, and I usually have an interest in the film on hand, and I watch almost everything all the way through.

However, if you really want to test a film beforehand, I suggest using one of those movie recommendation sites where you program your favorite movies, and they suggest compatible titles based on your tastes.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I've noticed something funny

(with my family at least but I'm sure there are more)

If a comedy isn't funny in the first twenty minutes or so, it doesn't do much good for it to get funnier. Mostly because you've started to think it might not be funny. So, the jokes toward the end don't get laughed at as hard. Writers are much better off to make the beginning as funny as possible, even if it's just the opening scene. Then you end up laughing at even little jokes to the end.

I usually watch it to the end that can sometimes be painful

hahaha

I've walked out of movies and concerts if I didn't like them. Me and my brother even walked out an evening church service once--we were killing time waiting for it to get dark enough for the Drive-in theater to open and happened to be going by this church, so I parked and we went in in our boots, jeans and T-shirts. We sat on the back pew and sang along (I always did like the old Baptist hymnal!). So happened our killing time ended just as the preacher went to the pulpit and we walked out.

What I started out to say, anyhow, was that on movies, I mostly do my selecting before going. I read reviews and watch the TV ads to see if they arouse my interest. If not, I don't go.

Actually, I'm only 48, but still....

I remember when I first watched The Deer Hunter I got as far as the hunting trip and I got bored and turned it off, but my brother told me later to watch the whole thing and it turned out that I liked it.

first half hour if its really bad i turn it off. ive walked out cinema many of times teeth, the spirit, dance flick, plus alot more

"Live forever or die trying"
Title and cast for me most of the time, kinda depends on word of mouth though because everyone has different tastes in movies, more or less.
Anything worse than a "B" movie and I don't bother with it most of the time.