Watchmen

→ in
Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Yeah, at least in the second part of that post, you show you understand. But still, what's with referring to scientists in movies as "whiny little ******s"? Seriously, dude, to say nothing of the fact that you're using one stupid-sounding insult, but I'm curious as to what examples of "whiny" scientists you're talking about.
Its my bad what im trying to say and failing to do so is that MOST of the time scientists seem to be dweebs not like big matcho type of guys... do you get what im trying to say? Its just my poor intelect I suppose.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Watchmen

Pretty good and faithful visual realisation of the novel, but let down particularly by the key actress (who seems to have been hired more for her willingness to flash her tats in a gratuitously-silly sex scene, rather than her ability to bring a bita gravitas to the screen).

It's a big ask for a superhero flick to have gravitas, but the story pitches for it, and i thought they were in with a shout for a bit. Rorschach's sociopathy was well carved, The Comedian hit most of the right notes & Crudup's CGI Dr Manhattan was working well (altho a later epiphany was always going to be a tough sell while playing a glowing deadpan mystery of physics....)

WARNING: "Dr Epiphany" spoilers below
Thought they could maybe have helped him out on Mars with some visual flurries of his CGI-self, reflecting the shifting thoughts not present in his voice. And perhaps they coulda over-written the way the actor's eyes searched for eye-contact - seemed too human a failing for this pupil-less demi-God. What really blew that scene for me though was the strange 'breaking the 4th wall' moment when Laurie hit the crystal ship thing 'into camera'. Felt like she was hitting the screen. If it was deliberate, it was rubbish. If it was accidental, it was rubbish. Surely it's tricky enough to convince the audience a giant glowing man is talking to his human lover on Mars without throwing in that kinda ****.

Then there were some of the sloppier choices and executions in the ending...

WARNING: "The End" spoilers below
Haven't got a huge prob with the 'alternate' ending of Dr M being the scapegoat (altho it does add 'agency' to the threat where before it was a random, new, accidental threat - i do wonder whether the global powers wouldn't spot the ruse given that 'someone' had done this at a suspiciously key moment in global relations etc).

The changes & handlings I found daft were:
  • The enormity of Veidt's action seemed to be fumbled to me. The actor mumbled many of his lines, which didn't help, and the destruction moment somehow just didn't hit home with the horror it needed to (I feel a studio hand in this perhaps, it being so close to the end etc - not wanting to finish so overtly on such a bummer)

• What's with the "You've deformed humanity" bit? It's a pretty weak rejoinder to Veidt's actions. Thought Dr M's 'this won't last' reminder in the book of all human machinations being ephemeral etc was a better cuss and balancing rejoinder to what had gone on before. It could maybe work as an argument of him just expanding the range of human ferocity etc, but it wasn't given much space to breathe. Gave the lonely-Veidt pan-out end a fairly hollow and woolly feel.

• A little thing - Why vapourise the scientists with the Dr M light-machine thing? The oddness of no-one else being made a 'superman' is already inherent, so why remind us of it? (I don't remember anything in the book on this either - seemed odd, as surely the military would want to make more Dr Ms - or their opponents would. I only remember a vague Silar-like 'put the pieces together'
    propensity in the human Dr M being mentioned as possible explanation - IE only he could survive the process.

The last thing is the super-heroeness of the vigilantes. Why can they suddenly punch through walls and such? Seemed excessive (as with the violence of the intro scene, altho you could argue it fits the world. You get the feeling Snyder gets off on this **** tho - rather ironic given its partially what the story is out to condemn - human propensity to embrace our darker sides etc). Why does Rorsh's mask move? It's never explained. Looks good, seems daft. Kinda sums up the film.

(It's patchy )

(Now to read everyone's spoilers - mosta this stuff's probably been chewed over already...)

A system of cells interlinked
Underwhelmed, why? Care to elaborate on your way to 10 posts, after which you may/will violate forum policy with spam, which will result in a (ridiculously fast) ban? Might as well shoot the **** about the film before all that goes down...

Care to elaborate on your way to 10 posts, after which you may/will violate forum policy with spam, which will result in a (ridiculously fast) ban?
Why is everyone who is on their way to 10 posts, always criticized and claimed to "violate forum policy with spam" ? I don't get that.

Why is everyone who is on their way to 10 posts, always criticized and claimed to "violate forum policy with spam" ? I don't get that.
It's not everyone, it's people who show the hallmarks of spamming. We're not going to actually ban someone based on this suspicion, but the fact is we've been doing this a really long time and we've seen all types, and we're pretty good at picking them out. There are lots of tell-tale signs, and choosing a username that sounds like a movie review website name is definitely one of them. So is posting a wide variety of opinions with very little elaboration immediately upon registering.

No one's jumping the gun here, but we're not naive, either. If we're wrong and the poster in question is just here to share his thoughts, great! Nothing will happen. But we're not wrong often.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Dude, what are you even arguing with? We know what we're doing. We didn't ban him or anything for mere suspicion.
Chill man. What is it with you and arguing. Everytime I ask a question or am curious about something, you PM me or leave a comment with the same thing. "Dude, why are you arguing"..... I don't recall me starting an argument. Do you? I just was curious about why that would be and you cleared it up for me.

To clear something up: jrs is quoting a comment I left him. You know, to discuss things privately. So much for that.

Anyway, perhaps you don't realize this, but your question did indeed sound like an argument. I think you've asked this same "question" before, phrased differently, too. You always seem extremely skeptical of these things. Which is your right, of course, but if I think you're giving us a hard time for no good reason, well, I'm apt to say so, and that's what happened here.

Anyway, perhaps you don't realize this, but your question did indeed sound like an argument. I think you've asked this same "question" before, phrased differently, too. You always seem extremely skeptical of these things. Which is your right, of course, but if I think you're giving us a hard time for no good reason, well, I'm apt to say so, and that's what happened here.
Well I don't know how on earth it does, but perhaps you don't realize this but you get extremely offended over a simple question. If I asked the question before, asking a question again isnt like a life or death situation. But it's not like I intend to give you people a hard time for being curious about something. To think that is kind of ridiculous. You're apt to think what you like I guess.

Now lets get back to the thread on hand shall we.

Er, except I wasn't "offended" at all, nor did I imply that it was a "life and death situation." I think you were giving Seds a hard time, and I think you've done it a few times before, so I left you a private comment about it. I'm not sure how this constitues me being mad, or offended, or anything else you're suggesting.

I don't think the behavior I've mentioned is really consistent with mere curiosity, but even if that's all this is, I'm not sure why on earth you'd feel the need to take issue with my comment publicly. I didn't call you out in public or anything. If you want to respond publicly that's your prerogative, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes.

well anyway, I just found this thread, and i decided to talk about Watchmen considering I thoroughly enjoyed it, personally my favorite scene was the first scene, in the comedians apartment, and just so everyone knows, i did read the comic, i still have the comic actually, and I thought the comic or rather Graphic Novel was terrific, one of the best I've read, however that didn't change my impression of the movie, i know there are alot of people who can't say the same, I loved the whole cartoony look to the movie, and i especially loved some of the music choices, it was all around well done

Saw it recently and some of it was great and other parts were boring sorry guys

well anyway, I just found this thread, and i decided to talk about Watchmen considering I thoroughly enjoyed it, personally my favorite scene was the first scene, in the comedians apartment,
+ repped for that scene its awesome

Rule Britannia....
Just saw this movie for the first time. Don't know why I was refusing to watch it earlier,but gotta say this movie has to be pretty underrated.
As I haven't got any clue about the whole ''Watchmen'' thing before, I am pretty surprised of what I have seen. I expected some new fancy thing,like fancy outfits and super powers by so called Watchmen. I enjoyed soundtrack,thrilled to hear in a movie like this was Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel.
The ending is kinda spectacular, unlike other comic book adaptations.
The movie that doesn't become boring after 2 and half hours is sure worth watching.
I'd give 8.5/10...