Older or Newer Game

Tools    

You've probably heard the timeless debate, what's better, older or newer? Some say that movies nowadays are no good. They're just trash compared to the classics of the past. Other people tend to watch whatever is current without paying much attention to older movies. Personally, I don't like it when I hear people say there aren't great movies coming out today. I just think those people aren't aware of the better avenues of cinema and are only complaining about mainstream movies with a sense of nostalgia. There are great movies coming out today, and people pushing the boundaries of art, but then again let's not forget about the classics. What is the greatest movie of all time? Well that may be a debate that will never end. But do you think newer movies are great, or are older movies better?

How to Play
The way this game works is very simple. One person names a movie that they think is great, and the next person names a movie that they think is better from either a newer or older era. It doesn't have to be a better movie, but can simply be a great newer or older movie. One of the four categories has to be contested by your nomination: Best Old, Best New, Oldest Great, and Newest Great. The overall greatest is by votes on the two contenders between Best Old and Best New.

The results will be kept track of in this first post by editing it with updates. There will be a vote, older vs newer, and the two movies that will be kept track of, the best oldest and the best newest. Any movie can be nominated and if it is seconded by someone else than it goes up. Any movie can be vetoed by two people, but they must make a case for why and nominate and second what is in their opinion a better movie.

I realise there are differences of opinion, and so I will do my best to be fair to everyone when there are debates. If at least two people share an opinion that a movie is the best in either the old or new category, than that movie will go up with that number of votes. However, I do reserve the right to negate any votes that are unreasonable or will not respond to sound arguments against their nomination.

To start I will vote for Older cinema with my nomination: The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Votes:
Old: 2
New: 0

Greatest Film Contenders:
None

Greatest Film Nominations:
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
Metropolis (1927)

Best Old Film:
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Best New Film:
None

Oldest Great FIlm:
Metropolis (1927)

Newest Great Film:
None

How to Play
... One of the four categories has to be contested by your nomination: Best Old, Best New, Oldest Great, and Newest Great.
What is the difference between Best Old and Oldest Great?

What is the difference between Best Old and Oldest Great?
If you can think of a movie older than 1928 that is a great classic, but not necessarily better than The Passion of Joan of Arc.

If you can think of a movie older than 1928 that is a great classic, but not necessarily better than The Passion of Joan of Arc.
So I could name a pre 1928 classic movie that I might not like much? And then that would be a Oldest Great? Do I have that right?

I nominate Metropolis, 1927. I like it more than Passion, so does that even count?

So I could name a pre 1928 classic movie that I might not like much? And then that would be a Oldest Great? Do I have that right?
Yes, that is true, and you do have that right. But if you don't like it that much, do you think it will hold the spot for long?

It's always worth naming a movie even if it won't hold the spot, if you just want to give that movie a shout-out and some recognition.

Yes, that is true, and you do have that right. But if you don't like it that much, do you think it will hold the spot for long?

It's always worth naming a movie even if it won't hold the spot, if you just want to give that movie a shout-out and some recognition.
Thanks that makes sense.

I nominate Metropolis, 1927. I like it more than Passion, so does that even count?
Of course, but I think you'll have a hard time arguing that it's better than Passion, considering there isn't even a complete copy. I've seen it, and there is a glaring hole... if ya know what I mean... ;p

Regardless, I'll consider it a nomination over Passion.

Of course, but I think you'll have a hard time arguing that it's better than Passion, considering there isn't even a complete copy. I've seen it, and there is a glaring hole... if ya know what I mean... ;p

Regardless, I'll consider it a nomination over Passion.
Have you seen the new version? And it’s been voted by MoFo to be the best silent film of all time, so I won’t have that hard of a time

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Instructions unclear. Ended up watching a Bach performance.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Instructions unclear. Ended up watching a Bach performance.

That piece nearly drove me to insanity when I tried learning it, and I will never touch it again.

Still great to listen to, though!

Have you seen the new version? And it’s been voted by MoFo to be the best silent film of all time, so I won’t have that hard of a time
I have it on DVD, how new are we talking?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Still great to listen to, though!
Dude, is that Celestine on your avatar? Watched Ernest and Celestine: The Collection (2017) yesterday. Best stuff ever!!!

I have it on DVD, how new are we talking?
The restored version with the re-recorded score and subtitles explaining missing plot. Roger Ebert wrote a whole new "Great Movies" Essay for the new version.

Dude, is that Celestine on your avatar? Watched Ernest and Celestine: The Collection (2017) yesterday. Best stuff ever!!!
Hell yes it is! Kind of in love with that duo, thanks to @Miss Vicky in 2nd Animation HoF.