Kevin Smith/View Askew appreciation thread

Tools    

Kevin Smith Rocks

Rock God
awesome username, loki. mine is from mallrats.

I have seen every Jay and Silent Bob's films from Clerks to Dogma and even the animated version of Clerks and they crack me up !!!! I am dying to see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Unfortunately it's their last movie. (Or at least they say...............)

Rock God
i personally don't mind if they make more jay and silent bob movies, but it's cool that smith wants to stretch his abilities a little. i just saw chasing amy again the other day. that's such an awesome movie. probably the only romantic comedy i ever really loved.

Rock God
the countdown to the new movie begins!!

I agree that it's great that Kevin Smith is expanding. Very few people understand how talented he is in all aspects. His screenwriting is as sharp and refined as anybody (granted that its often quite theatrical and old school). As a director, we know that he is on top of the world creatively. He has a knack for making movies ENJOYABLE. This is a comment for people who make movies like Tumbleweeds and Chuck and Buck. Learn from Wes Anderson, Kevin SMith, the Coen Brothers. People like likeable movies. If I wanted to feel discomfort I'd go to the proctologist. In fact I'd rather do that than watch Chuck and Buck again. At least it'd be constructive. Anyway, we're yet to see the extent of Smith's technical skill (See Spielberg, Coppola, Burton) We know he's got experience. How well can he manipulate it? I'm dying to find out.

Rock God
what is anyone's opinion of the big GLAAD debate? personally, i am on mr. smith's side with this debate just like i was when dogma came out. i can't believe how seriously some people take movies that are clearly not ment to thought of that way. i think jay and silent bob's "homophobic remarks" are not all that harmful, especially when they are already portrayed in such an immature light. any other thoughts?

Rock God
i mean, i don't endorse homophobia, it's just that they're not serious. they're not like eminem or anything.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
What are these GLAAD debates you speak of?

I'm sorry, the first amendment takes precedent over the fact that a few people were offended by comments from characters that 1) aren't real, and 2) don't represent the views of the director in the first place. It's a good point, Brodie, that they're portrayed like fools anyway. I guess I'm on the side of whoever's defending the anti-gay remarks, lol.

By the way, I feel the same way about Eminem. He can say whatever he wants. I may have problems with what he's saying, but nothing should happen to him for doing his job: performing. The fact that he's actually talented has something to do with it too.

Another example: Chris Tucker saying "all ya'll Asians look alike!" in that Rush Hour preview. I didn't find this funny, I found it offensive and in bad taste, but I don't think it should be cut from the movie by some higher authority.

Rock God
yeah, then in that case you agree with Kevin Smith, who is facing a lot of heat, and myself. this pretty much goes back to the censorship debate (wasn't that everyone's favorite thread? ) but basically the argument is that in smith's newest movie, jay and silent bob strike back, there is even more foul-mouthed humor than in the previous ones (from what i've heard). GLAAD, and organization representing gay rights is against the movie totally, because the two characters are known to use words like "gay" (reffering to something negative or stupid) or "fags" in a derrogatory way. since it's almost the release date and therefore way too late to change the film or dialouge in any way, smith has offered to pay 10,000 dollars to the matthew sheppard foundation, which supports anti-homophobia education and awareness. personally, i hate homophobia or any form of bigotry or predjiduce, but you have to keep in mind this movie or the director is anti-gay. the characters (which aren't meant to be taken seriously anyway) aren't either, it's just they are very stupid, socially unaware idiots. it's just a comedy, and not a serious one at that. any other opinions?

Rock God
i'm sorry, i'm typing way too fast. i meant to say that NEITHER the director or the movie is anti-gay.

Ugh, this is bull man. Steve, chill out. First amendment? Who on earth is saying he should not be allowed to make his movie? No one, dude. You're turning into a drama queen. If you want to talk about the first amendment, then let them protest and try to convince people of their beliefs: that's part of the first amendment as well.

Anyway, I don't care if it's "just a movie" -- some things are offensive anyway. I wasn't offended by Chris Tucker's Asian comment, because, if anything, it was displaying his ignorance. Jackie Chan obviously didn't care.

Overall I say everyone should back off. Call me a honkey, I don't give a crap, so long as you don't get in my way. I think racial slurs are over-rated...as are joks about any group of people. Just deal with it man. You don't see me getting all hot and bothered over the priest in Little Nicky, do you?

Rock God
so, you're saying that GLAAD is overly-sensitive? that's pretty much my opinion, too.

Rock God
lol. peta's really bad. didn't they boycott "chicken run"?

I've lost track of the stuff they've boycotted. You know what they really want: they want us like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. They hope The Planet of the Apes actually happens. They want to to be Ace Ventura. It's so sad.

I think that everyone will be mocked at some time in their lives and some people will laugh it off and some people will let it bother them. The fact of the matter is: Everyone is goofy and retarded and should be mocked top some extent. I'm not talking about ridiculing and ostracizing I'm talking about making "fun" of people. It's "fun"- that's why they call it that. I laughed at many of the racial slurs in Rush Hour 2. Why? Because they're actually quite funny. I'm mocked, too. Polish people are mocked all the time teenagers are maocked all the time. Sometimes I think these things are funny. If someone talks about how Polish people do nothing but drink all the time and have big noses I laugh. That's funny, cause to some degree it's true. I am a sunbscriber to the Onion which mocks EVERYTHING. One day, justy after I graduated they had an article mocking high school seniors. I didn't find it funny. Why? Because it's me and I can't often see myself being ridiculous. But I'm not hurt. Chris Tucker's character mocks Asians but he still hangs out with them and is friends with them. However I am an American white upper-middle class male so I'm most likely just a bigot.

I completely agree Sultan. My mantra (which I plan to carry to grave) is this: who gives a crap if someone insults you? Be it a racial slur, an insult concerning your age, or anything of the sort, just deal with it and move on. SUCCESS is the best revenge.

Oh, and I also agree when it comes to Chris Tucker's character: he's a little ignorant to things, but he doesn't necessarily dislike the people he makes fun of. It's just funny pokes at different cultures. If he'd have said, for example, that the Beach Boys were "for white folks", I probably would have laughed.