What Movies Take Place in the South of the U.S.

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
Not sure where he's from but Texas is as south as it gets.
I double checked, and his birth place is Texas. Ooh another one is No Country for Old Men. I don't know how I missed that when it's an amazing film. Where's Night of the Hunter placed? I think it's Mississippi but I don't recall. I love that one, too.

So, just where IS the South? It could be the Mason Dixon line, or the old slave states, or the confederate states or a place where people have one of those particular speech accents, but if it's about latitude, then do western states that were not part of that whole slavery-accent-civil war-culture war-secession, "seecesshh" thing count as "The South" (the mythic South, that is)?

Often movies present it as a place full of all of those stereotypes that we've all seen way too many times. It's one those interesting things, considering that, living in Baltimore, I see elements of both regions right in my neighborhood, and having been in lots of places in the more verifiable South, I've realized that much of it is a matter of a cultural myth and exactly where you are who you are with.

I'm thinking of Barry Levinson's movies, set in Baltimore (once a haven of secessionists), but having pretty much nothing to do with that culture, which still exists in places around here. If you live here, you probably have a little cognitive map that tells you "where you are", so you know which accent to use today.

I find my self thinking that the mythic movie South is anywhere south of Boston, where people talk funny and have lurid affairs and romances that end up on posters like these. It might even end up with a shoot out with the sheriff or the police, but will involve lots of yelling and accents and probably some booze and maybe a couple of accents. Then, there's the accents. Gotta have that and some whiskey and maybe living in a disheveled wood frame house with smoke going up the chimney. Some religion helps, especially when there's "Whiskey and blood on the highway, spread on the road where they lay....but I didn't hear nobody pray".

I can't help but think that all you ever need to know about the movie South is in O Brother, Where Art Thou. You have sepia tint, dusty roads, cotton fields, a chain gang, a jail break, the Klan, bluegrass, old-timey religion, a scary, one-eyed sheriff, a guy named "Delmar", lawyers with white suits and everybody is sweaty, mopping their brow.