Pachinko

Tools    

This tv series is on Apple TV and is absolutely fantastic. Based on a book it tells the story of three generations of a Korean family throughout 3 different timelines and what they faced from Japanese rule up until 1989 where some of the family moves to America.

It is produced and directed by Kogonada (Columbus and After Yang) and Justin Chon (Gook, Blue Bayou, Ms Purple). It is 8 episodes long, 50 minutes each and has been renewed for a 2nd season.

The period settings are amazingly well designed, the cinematography is wonderful and the finale reduced me to tears.

Everything I would ask for in a TV series. Brilliant show.

9.5/10

This tv series is on Apple TV and is absolutely fantastic. Based on a book it tells the story of three generations of a Korean family throughout 3 different timelines and what they faced from Japanese rule up until 1989 where some of the family moves to America.

It is produced and directed by Kogonada (Columbus and After Yang) and Justin Chon (Gook, Blue Bayou, Ms Purple). It is 8 episodes long, 50 minutes each and has been renewed for a 2nd season.

The period settings are amazingly well designed, the cinematography is wonderful and the finale reduced me to tears.

9.5/10
I just now started an Appletv subscription for “Severance”. I did read good reviews of “Pachinko” & I might watch at least the pilot though it doesn’t seem like my cuppa tea.

9.5/10
I detest historical sagas & I have zero interest in the subjugation of Korea by Japan pre-WWII. I also generally hate flashbacks.

So guess what, I loved this show! I’ll watch the final episode tonight & will watch season 2 whenever that appears. (Hope I don’t cry.)

Sure it’s going off in a million directions & introducing new characters every 5 minutes, but the core of the show is excellent. Fantastic acting by all the leads.

And the opening credits are so entertaining I never skip them. All in all, cannot believe I’m enjoying this.