40.35%
23 votes
War
31.58%
18 votes
Noir
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let's do it.

PLEASE NOTE: you can vote for as many as you like, so the voting here is basically "approve/disapprove" for each option. I understand not everyone likes this method, and I respect a lot of the rationales for that. I have done my best to consider the upsides and downsides of each method, and I think this method still produces the best overall results. Specifically, because it maximizes the chances we get a countdown the most people are okay with. Thank you for understanding.

I brief plea:

I think we can see from past discussions that some of these choices are a lot harder to parse, and more likely to produce arguments, than some others. I hope we can get past that, whatever the choice is, and I imagine we'll have to eventually...but I think it's reasonable for us to factor that into our decision.

I would also encourage people to factor in how likely we are to get a decent number of participants for each choice. You may like one of these genres a lot more than the others, but how satisfying will you find it if, say, only 30-40 people participate, and the list has to be a Top 50 to compensate? Worth considering.

All that said, have at it. Feel free to argue your case, but please be respectful. In many cases we're talking about people's most cherished artistic expressions, so I won't hesitate to step in and/or remove posts if people are needlessly blunt or confrontational about their disagreements.

Voted Comedies because I think it's the broadest and it feels weird to have much narrower genres represented beforehand.

I'm also genuinely unsure how a lot of a comedy list might come out. I have a few good guesses for films near the top, but I have a lower degree of confidence than I would for most of the lists we've done (or figure to do soon).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm really excited for any of these 4 to be honest.

Like Yoda said, there is a lot of uncertainty on how comedy would play out and I actually really like that.

I think War would be my biggest chance to really see a lot of stuff I haven't seen before.

I can say the same with Musicals, but there's actually a lot of stuff that I like that would be hard to take off of a ballot. Especially the first 10.

Noir again there is a lot to uncover and I really dig the genre.

Tough to know how to vote but I'll send one in the next day or two.

I hope we can all just get along with whatever is decided and the criteria.

A system of cells interlinked
Noir for me!

Out of interest how long will ze poll be open for please?

The trick is not minding
I voted for 3. Comedy wasn’t one of them. I expected noir to be in the lead, but comedy isn’t far behind. Really close.
Hoping for noir or war.

Edit: oops. My eyes were playing tricks on me. It’s tied between comedy and noir

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Before I vote, can I change it afterwards?

For example, my idea of comedy will probably not mesh with anyone else's... Every time I see a movie classified as a comedy, it has no humor. I don't gain any pleasure watching a guy fall on his ass.

And when it comes to War, it doesn't need to have battle scenes does it?

(Can I list examples?)

Before I vote, can I change it afterwards?
No, in the "there is no built-in functionality for that" sense.

Yes, in the "I can do it by hand in an emergency" sense. So, I would prefer someone wait to be sure rather than risk having me do that, and even then I probably only would if it were likely to change the outcome.

For example, my idea of comedy will probably not mesh with anyone else's... Every time I see a movie classified as a comedy, it has no humor. I don't gain any pleasure watching a guy fall on his ass.

And when it comes to War, it doesn't need to have battle scenes does it?
I'd recommend skimming the previous thread(s), since these exact questions always come up. But to respond broadly: the criteria will be up to whoever Curates the list, and you won't know who that is until the vote is done, so if that's why you're asking about changing your vote, it won't make a difference. You won't be able to change your vote once you've heard whether or not you like the criteria. The only way to guarantee you find the criteria reasonable is to volunteer to Curate it, and be chosen to do so.

That said, I don't think your idea of a comedy has to mesh: the expression of what a comedy is will probably come through in the voting. The Curator might decide not to restrict at all, since so many films are at least partially comedies. If they do restrict Comedy (or War, to speak to your other question), pretty high probability they'd just go with "anything that has the corresponding category tag on IMDB," which has been as close to a standard as we've had with these.

Functionally, "I don't think X is an example of humor" doesn't end up being different than "I don't like X and won't vote for it" even if in the latter example you agree that it's an example of the genre.

Out of interest how long will ze poll be open for please?
Three weeks, which is what we ended up doing last time. There's a bit of text on the poll with the closing date.

Three weeks, which is what we ended up doing last time. There's a bit of text on the poll with the closing date.
Thanks, phoning Specsavers as I type

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
No, in the "there is no built-in functionality for that" sense.

Yes, in the "I can do it by hand in an emergency" sense. So, I would prefer someone wait to be sure rather than risk having me do that, and even then I probably only would if it were likely to change the outcome.

I'd recommend skimming the previous thread(s), since these exact questions always come up. But to respond broadly: the criteria will be up to whoever Curates the list, and you won't know who that is until the vote is done, so if that's why you're asking about changing your vote, it won't make a difference. You won't be able to change your vote once you've heard whether or not you like the criteria. The only way to guarantee you find the criteria reasonable is to volunteer to Curate it, and be chosen to do so.

That said, I don't think your idea of a comedy has to mesh: the expression of what a comedy is will probably come through in the voting. The Curator might decide not to restrict at all, since so many films are at least partially comedies. If they do restrict Comedy (or War, to speak to your other question), pretty high probability they'd just go with "anything that has the corresponding category tag on IMDB," which has been as close to a standard as we've had with these.

Functionally, "I don't think X is an example of humor" doesn't end up being different than "I don't like X and won't vote for it" even if in the latter example you agree that it's an example of the genre.

Another reason I asked was as a result of something you said -- basically how it would be better if there's more people, which is why I thought having the ability to change it might sway some people to think, "Oh well, I'm not wasting my vote on that" but I went ahead and went with War.... I'm kinda noired out, and I have a feeling the IMDB categorization of comedy might not fit.. I'm guessing a lot of mine would be "gallow's humor"...

I have a feeling if I say "I won't do a Musical" that some might pick it to be ... "comedic".