Oscars

Tools    

I was just wondering what you guys think of the Academy Awards in terms of measuring quality? For example, what was snubbed, what was beaten that shouldn't have been beaten, etc. Do you think the Oscars are accurate in naming the "Best" anything?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well the Oscars are only accurate when they pick the movie I wanted to win. For the most part, the Oscar's are always wrong.

But anyway's. I feel American Beauty deserved it. I feel Gladiator deserved it. I feel Crouching Tiger did not deserve nearly as many nominations as it recieved. I feel Hollow Man was completely and utterly robbed by Gladiator. There is no way Hollow Man should of lost that. It has some of the most realistic, believable, and just amazing special effects a movie has ever had.

Um I don't know whether or not Shawshank ever one anything, but if it didn't it should have. I think Jurassic Park should of at least recieved a nomination for Best Picture.

There are more

I hate the Oscars. For one reason only(that i can think of now): Kubrick never won for best director. Also even though ive never seen it Citizen Kane didn't win best picture and now it's named the greatest of all time by AFI. Id say the the Oscars are about 50 50 and thats not good enough when everyone looks to them as the authority on movies.

Guy
Oscars are usually always wrong, I thought American Beauty was a pretty good choice for '99, although Magnolia was definately a better flick!

For a year like 94 with both Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump racking all those nominations, I'd be happy either way.

Traffic deserved the best honors this year!

Come on! Jurassic Park for best picture? In a year with Dazed and Confused, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Groundhog Day, The Piano, Schindler's List, Short Cuts, and about ten other great movies?

As a general rule, the Oscars aren't accurate. Gladiator DID NOT deserve to win best picture. Raging Bull, THE greatest film of the 80's, lost to Ordinary People. Days of Heaven wasn't even NOMINATED in 1978. McCabe & Mrs. Miller was hung out to dry in 1971. Do the Right THing, Drugstore Cowboy, Roger & Me, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Say Anything weren't nominated in 1989. Driving Miss Daisy won that year. Please.

Some years, they are right. American Beauty was, after all, THE film out of the nominees in 99. But generally, the films chosen are "friendly". There are exceptions to this, for example, JFK being nominated for picture in 91. But a film that is challenging, as many of the greatest movies are, will generally be ignored. Malcolm X, The Sweet Hereafter, The War Zone, The Thin Red Line. Comedies are generally ignored, (how else to account for both There's Something About Mary AND Rushmore being completely and utterly shut out?) as are action/adventure movies.

The Thin Red Line was nominated, but it lost to Shakespeare in Love. At least they didn't give it to Saving Private Ryan.

Gladiator deserves to go down in history as one of the most overrated movies of all time.

Steve come on most overrated thats harsh. Ill take your nonsense arguements that it was a bad movie but not the most overrated. Look at Titanic.

One of, my friend, one of. And I'm leaving it at that.

I get the impression you don't like these dramatic war movies, Steve.

Shakespeare in Love -- ugh, don't get me started. It's a movie for people who want to feel intellectual. If you want real Shakespeare, watch a few Kenneth Brannagh movies. Much Ado About Nothing is a lot of fun.

I also liked Groundhog Day, and I LOVE The Nightmare Before Christmas ("What's This" is one of the best songs I've ever heard in a movie. So few songs are catchy and entertaining, yet clever in their lyrics).

Oh, and yes, Jurassic Park deserved a nomination, but probably not the Oscar itself -- although I still have to think about that. Back to the whole CGI debate: Jurassic Park was entertaining in it's story, I'd say. There was suspense without special effects.

A bit like Jaws, much of the tension was present in simple anticipation. We didn't see the entire T-Rex until quite a-ways into the movie. I'd say JP1 is probably a near-perfect example of the way a movie ought to use CGI.

HEYY, my brother likes Shakespear in love, you are in seriouss trouble Mr TWT!!!! I didnt but then I dont like a lot of Shakespear anyway except for Titus & Othello. Now RAN, that is far far far better than any King Lear-- you ever seen any kurosawa TWT? Pigsnie says you havent.

Pigsnie sure says a lot to you.

Yes, he's right, I havn't seen that. A foreign film I'm assuming? I admit I've seen next to nothing of foreign films. I just enjoy the experience of the movies. I make a little effort to see all types of movies, but right now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing, and that's enough for me.

Well of course he says a lot to me, I am his best friend, duuuuhhhh!!!! and have you deleted Tobys adress yet, you should, you know. Or maybe toby can delete it himself. Your still mad at Pigsnie arent you, I can tell.

do you ever watch old movies TWT? You dont seem to. What is the oldest movie you haf ever seen? Pigsnie raise me on old movies so I like those better. Ive seen errol flynn stuff, have you ever seen errol flynn?

Hey PigsnieLite.

I saw "They Died With Their Boots On" just last week. My first Errol Flynn. He was wonderful in it even if the film itself was a disappointment. Hattie MacDanniele had a cameo. Do you know her from Gone With The Wind? A wonderful comedienne.

Old films rock the casbah!

Yes I have seen the Custer one with olive de haviland. Pigsnie says errol flynn proposed to her once but she turned him down becaused he is a womaniser. Errol had been in love with her since adventures of Robin Hood. Robin Hood is Pigsnies favorite errol flynn movie. I like that one more than BOots. Have you also seen Spanish main, bigV? That is my 2nd best pirate movie starrin Paul Henrid who was avery short pirate. He was in casablanca too.

Delete Toby's address? Wha?

I never was mad at Pigsnie to begin with, so I certainly can't be mad now. I don't know what the oldest movie I've seen is, because I don't keep track of dates. I did enjoy "Some Like It Hot", and parts of "Ben-Hur" a bit. I love Hitchcock -- Rope, Dial M, and North by Northwest are all fabulous.

No matter what I seem to like, I do like some of these older movies. I just don't talk about them much. Man you ask a lot of questions.

Look in badger thread TWT. Pigsnie talked to to you there.

I like old movies becuz Pigsnie has a huge collection and I cant go see new movies all the time becuz of my school work & atrocius spelling, hahah ha. So hes always bringing home real old stuff like wutherin heights & soylen green & spartacus & the heiress & all sorts of other awful crap with anthony quinn, lollll. I like la strada tho, that was sad. So I know a lot more about old movies than new. Starship Troopers was ok but the giant bug was disgustin. It lookd like it wanted to slurp people. GLADIATor was fine but it might not have deservd an oscar.

Ps. you misspelled what, TWT. hahhahh haa.

yeah ,I do ask a lot of questions TWT but if you dont ask, how will you know????

Ah, I see. Now I get it. I stopped checking the thread -- not mad at all! I guess I'm dumb for not reading more of my own forum. That thread was just SO long. Hard to keep up with.

I probably would watch more older movies, but my hands are full with the new ones. Tons of previews, news, casting rumors, box office stats, potential rumors, etc.

Old movies are treasures, I'm telling you. and yes, RAN is probably the greatest war epic in the history of sound, at least, the best I've ever seen.

Actually, I like dramatic war movies when they are done well, but with Saving Private Ryan? Please. Contradictory garbage. Braveheart was a good film-not great-but good, and extremely entertaining. I thought The Thin Red Line was the second best movie of its year, and films like Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Grave of the Fireflies, RAN, etc are all wonderful, entertaining films.

I preferred Shakespeare In Love to the other nominees that year (apart from The Thin Red Line) - Life is Beautiful, Elizabeth, and Saving Private Ryan. I thought it was a skillful, completely entertaining and enjoyable romantic comedy. I loved it.

See, the problem I have with Jurassic Park is that the images are so breathtaking but the story is just typical monster-movie scientific mumbo jumbo stuff. I think Speilberg should have thrown away the novel, only using the book's explanation for how the dinosaurs were created. How about this: The dinosaurs are kept isolated from human contact save a small laboratory a few miles away. Shipwrecked people find the dinosaurs and learn to coexist with them. When the scientists find the shipwrecked survivors, the survivors don't want to leave. A movie like this could have raised difficult questions about nature, both mother and human, but instead it goes for a big blockbuster payoff. A movie with such fantastical images should be more observant, more quiet, instead of relying on cheap thrills and cliches to tell its story. The film itself is successful, but I was more exhilarated the first time I saw the dinosaurs onscreen than when the T-Rex is chasing the jeep. It is a decent movie at any rate, but it could have been so much more.

And is it just me, or is not recognizing Denzel Washington OR Spike Lee for the masterpiece Malcolm X the biggest snub of the decade?