Star Wars Forever

Tools    

Yes, I was about 6 years old when the first Star Wars came out. I think I saw it about 10 times when it was in the theaters.

I look forward to Episode 2 and 3, and would really love to see 7, 8 and 9 as well.

Going to see a Star Wars movie is like no other movie going experience as far as I'm concerned... Its like a spiritual experience (Well, maybe not really... But it sure is cool!)

You and I must be about the same age. I was six when Star Wars first came out, too.

I remembered that I didn't want to go see it. I knew nothing about it and actually thought it was going to be a war movie along the lines of Patton or something like that. So when my parents decided we were going to go see it, I wasn't happy about it.

Of course, as soon as the opening crawl finished and the ships came onto the screen, I changed my mind completely and was glad I was there. I ended up going back and seeing Star Wars in the theaters 17 times, IIRC. I even made my great-grandmother take me once. (It was the last movie she ever saw in the theater, which is kind of weird because she lived another 18 years after that.)

My parents feel the same way...they said it looked kinda dumb and all...but my dad said that afterwards, he was amazed a movie like that could exist...he'd never seen anything like it!

Didnt Mr george Lucas say that he wasnt gonna make star wars 7,8,9 because he didnt think they would be suited to a film. Though if you look at the decline of the Star Wars film from the brilliant New Hope and Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace which are hardly that brilliant. Imagine the detiriation if they made 7,8,9
Though i just hope to god that they managed to Make Episodes 2 & 3 as good as the original Movies.
Keeping his fingers crossed

I think they are brilliant...I get so into the whole thing...the music, the excitement - they're all amazing films. The new ones simply arn't as amazing since we're used to the whole thing...

My father said when he came out of the theatres from the first film, he was amazed. He didn't know movies like that could exist. Why? Because they didn't! It was one of the first great, modern, action flicks.

I am so obsessed with Star Wars, it's rediculous. I have to agree with how they get worse and worse as they go. I really really really hope the next two will be un-cheesy. For some reason, I feel very attached to Star Wars. It's like a third arm....or a second.... :rolleyes

Actually it's not ": rolleyes :" on this board...it's ": sarcastic :" - minus the spaces of course. Sorry if that threw you off!

You're right, though...the series has a hold over some people - myself includes. The music gets me all excited! The whole thing feels so "sacred."

Ok, The Phantom Menace wasn't nearly as good as A New Hope or, my personal favorite, The Empire Strikes Back, but it wasn't what I would call deteriorating.

I had two problems with the movie.

1) the obvious...JarJar Binks (get rid of him)
2) the casting of Anakin Skywalker. Jake Lloyd is too much of a cutsie little kid. He should have been a child more like Haley Joel Osment...Amiable yet brooding. I would assume that possessing the Force more than anyone ever had before would endow you with wisdom beyond your years. I just don't think someone with such a mental gift would be that easily amused. Jake Lloyd looks like he watches Teletubbies.

In defense of the Phantom, I must add that there was a dinstinct intention when Lucas decided to begin the movies with A New Hope. The three hour building of a 9 movie plot and the adventures of a young boy are not normally blockbusters, much less the kind of thing that leaves an indelible mark on the history of filmaking. I expect better things from Episode II and expect III to be the best. I hope they do justice to the scene where Anakin irrevocably turns to the dark side (I have my own ideas for how that should be done, I'll just have to see what George does.)

I agree 100 % with the problems you chose for episode 1. Jar jar Binks was only there because Lucas wanted to "hook the children" of today so that they watch episodes 2 and 3. The whole tone of episode 1 was mostly entertaining for younger audiences. Lucas knows that he doesn't need to hook the Star Wars fans of yesterday, so he aimed the movie at young people of today, who are not familiar with Star Wars.

The casting of Anakin was also a disaster in my mind. That kid wasn't even a good actor (even for his age). He didn't fit the role at all.

Did Lucas pick his complete cast for episode 2 yet? I heard that Leonardo DiCaprio was playing the teenage Anikan. Is that still going to happen?

no its not dicaprio. it's a guy named jacob (or jason) christenson...somthing like that. he's a spare 18-19 year old canadian soap opera actor. he may be good he may stink.

Didn't see it.
I'm not sure why, but I have never been that big of a Star Wars fan. The movies never really did anything for me. I recognize that I am definitely the exception to the rule.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I hate to say it but I think Star Wars sucks. Even the first ones. Sure they look pretty and all, I just do not like the plots at all. The original ones were ok. I didn't really see anything to special about them. I just don't like how people say they are the best movies ever made and are so obssesed with them. The first ones are good to watch once, but more than once just ruins them. And Phantom Menace was one of the worst movies released that year. They tried to make it to good looking. CGI can only last for so long. If your going to make a movie with that much CGI, it might as well be all CGI. I understand that what they were trying to pull off in that movie required that much CGI, it was just too much. The following movies will probably be the same if not worse.

<sigh> Don't you get it, Peter? Yeah, the plot is boring now - a million movies have used plots like that...but back then, no one had. That movie was totally original in almost every way - no one had ever made a movie with adventure like that before. That's what made it so great...that left a major impressions on the adults, which is why they all like it today.

If you tell me that star wars music and a bunch of shots of spaceships flying around don't get you pumped up, then I know you're lying!

As for Jake Lloyd: he was fine...Osment may not have been an option. Being endowed with the force doesn't mean he acts cool all the time - he's still 7 years old, and obviously he is more articulate and intelligent than most kids that age in the movie...

I understand why everyone likes it so much. But those reasons just arn't good enough for me. It's mainly because I've developed a tolerance to the substance of movies. It takes more to impress me. Plus I'm one of those people that don't apreciate how good a movie is, I just enjoy movies. Oh and no, Star Wars music does not get me pumped.

It doesn't? You're a human, right? A guy, too, right? I'm surprised to hear it. It may be hard to appreciate the movie since people my age and your age didn't have the chance to see it in the same context as our parents, so it seems like a cliche to us, but all the classics have become cliches. That's why people are making a joke when they say "Luke, I am your father!" - same thing with "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn."

Star Wars music lacks the bass needed to get my heart pumping. Songs like Turn Me On Mr. Deadman by The Union Underground and It Has Begun by Moby, get me energized. I've never heard of the second line, but it really does piss me off when someones running and some idiot says "Run Forest, Run." It just butchers the movie, and that was such a good movie. Your right about seing it in the same context as our parents. I don't really like the movies my dad likes, like Ben Hur, and he doesn't like the movies I like, like Blade or Starship Troopers. Surprisngly though, my dad liked Mortal Kombat. I'm still searching for the NC-17 version...

Ben Hur is a classic. And even people from our generation can appreciate it.....if we open our minds. Judging from the movies that you mentioned (Blade and Starship Troopers), I'm guessing that you like action flicks. Did you ever watch the famous carriage race scene on Ben Hur? The action is VERY good....especially FOR ITS TIME. Try to give the older movies like Ben Hur and Star Wars credit. What Commish said about movies like these being ahead of its time is important. Movies like the two mentioned set the tone for moves in general and made movies of today what they are.

Yup, most of the movies today heavily borrow from past movies (Gladiator, anyone? ). I can't fully experience Star Wars the way it was meant to be experienced - but I can appreciate it's value nonetheless really.

Congrats PooPooMaster! Your post was number #1,000 for MovieForums!

I think Ben Hur was one of the most boring movies ever made. Of course its a classic movie etc. I just didn't like it much. But then again my children will be saying the same thing about the movies I like. Action movies rule by the way.

Does that mean I WIN SOMETHING?????? Gee I hope so. I never win anything.