Kevin Smith/View Askew appreciation thread

Tools    

Rock God
well, racial slurs are NOT cool in my book. mainly because they are intentionally hurtful and a form of bigotry. also, homophobia is wrong in my opinion for the same reason. i don't put jay and silent bob in this category because it's geniunely harmless. i DO think jay and silent bob is gonna do very well this weekend, mainly because up till now their stiffest competition was bubble boy, and that's getting boycotted. it looked dumb anyway.

Right, but what I'm saying is that more than just Kevin Smith write harmless slurs. Other people can be funny with homophobic remarks. Screw that. You can't be pure if you're not pure, dude. WTF? Arghhh!!! Brodie, it's a good thing I've already had you killed.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I don't know why people are throwing fits about the remarks Mewes and Smith make in all the movies Smith has directed. It's all just to add an atmosphere to the movie. It's about time someone like Kevin Smith came around to give the movie biz something worth laughing at. His movies seem to be more real than anything. It's too bad that nobody showed appreciation when there was a chance for it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

It's partially about intent. If someone sees something they don't like, and they call it "gay," I seriously doubt they do it to demean homosexuals. Does it make them feel bad? I don't know. I'm sure it makes some of them feel bad, but I'd be surprised if those people were in the majority.

I have to note, however, that I am impressed with one of the spokespeople for GLAAD, who spoke out on this issue. Rather than lash out and accuse Smith of things, the person said (I'm only quoting roughly): "I'm not calling Kevin Smith homophobic, because I know he's not. I just think it's a demeaning phrase to homosexuals when used in that context."

I'll tell you, I've got respect for whoever said that, if that is indeed what they actually said. 9 times out of 10 the spokesperson walks up the figurative podium, says the word "homophobic," mutters something about community, and then leaves. This statement was spot-on, I think.

Rock God
thanks for the heads-up on the wizard magazine i'll have to check it out. what does anyone think regarding my earlier post on the chances of j&sb opening at no. 1?

Rock God
what my earlier post said was that it would almost have to be no. 1 because up until now, its biggest competitor was bubble boy and now that's being boycotted. you guys heard that story, right?

If it does open at #1, it'll be because of very poor competition -- I think Bubble Boy, however, will come close. That boycott is a joke commercially -- it's not a large boycott last I checked.

If J/SB finishes at #2, it'll be because American Pie 2 stole a chunk of the R-rated comedy crowd. I'll put my mony on J/SB for now, but not by much.

Rock God
i can't wait to see. i hope everything goes well.

I doubt that Jay and Silent Bob can be #1. It can beat Bubble Boy, probably, but not because of the boycott. The people boycotting it are people who were not of the intended demographis and audience anyway. If I make a movie about killing animals, I dont care if PETA boycotts cause I didn;t expect PETA to watch it in the first place. I think a movie from this weekend or last even, will beat J&SB. American Pie 2 is big enough with lasting power, to win again. Think of millions of teenagers seeing it again this weekend.

Rock God
yeah, you may be right about that. high school kids are like that. those of us cool college kids in the know will be lining up for j&sb, though. seriously, i think j&sb is a little more hip and cultish so the audience may not be as big, but it will definitely be more into the experience. me and this one kid (who is also a history major like myself) used to trade all kinds of kevin smith trivia. we're hardcore, don't count us out.

Hmmm, Smith posted something on his site (on the forum, I think) that encouraged his fans to go see the movie a second time. He said that if the movie debuted at #1, there'd be some surprise in store, or something. I guess that means he'd find it easier to go ahead with some other project, or something. Too bad it came in 3rd.

Rock God
well, that's hardly news. i've known about that for days, but i think smith still has something or other up his sleeve. i know for a fact he's working on a clerks animated movie for release sometime in the next year or two, so we always have that to look for. i'm kinda bummed about no. 3, too, but it's time to be glad that jay and silent bob did as well as it did, not depressed. it defied a lot of critics and pleased the fans. box office is second priority.