2019 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Ladies and gentlemen, the votes are in and we have our final set of nominees. We ended up with a little less submissions than last year, but there were still enough to have a diverse enough field of films voted in.

Please vote for ONE film in each category you choose. The DEADLINE for your votes is MAY 1st 2020..

We will then have the awards ceremony the very next day. Saturday May 2nd, 2020

You must PRIVATE MESSAGE me your votes, do not post them here. You post them here and your votes are disqualified.

I'd like to thank @Cynema De Bergerac again for brand spankin' new poster we've got now.

*The Farewell has been replaced by Transit in the Best Foreign Language category.*

Voted

Ahwell
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Cynema De Bergerac
Captain T
Iroquois
neiba
MovieMeditation
CosmicRunaway
Holden Pike
Daniel M
HashtagBrownies
rauldc14
CiCi
Sudden
John-Connor
sawduck

AWARDS START HERE

Suspect's Reviews

Best VFX

Best Sound

Best Score

Breakout Performance of the Year

Julia Fox - Uncut Gems

Roman Griffin Davis - Jojo Rabbit

Archie Yates - Jojo Rabbit

Ana De Armas - Knives Out

Florence Pugh - Little Women/Midsommar

Best Cinematography

Best Cast

Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel, Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin, Jesse Plemons, Stephen Graham

Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Christopher Plummer, Riki Lindhome

Song Kang-Ho, Lee Sun-Kyun, Cho Yeo-Jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam, Lee Jung-eun

Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johanson, Robert Downey Jr, Don Cheadle, Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Holland, Josh Brolin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Ruffalo, Chadwick Boseman, Karen Gillan, Zoe Saldana, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd, Gwyneth Paltrow, Dave Bautista

Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, Bruce Dern, Emile Hirsch, Margaret Qualley, Timothy Olyphant, Julia Butters, Dakota Fanning, Mike Moh, Luke Perry, Damian Lewis, Al Pacino

Mixed-Bag Award

Funniest Scene

Manson Family Attack

Booth Fight Flashback - "Fair Enough"

Hail Hitler - 20 times in 30 seconds

Late to the Meeting Conversation

Sex Scene

Most Memorable Scene

Manson Family Attack

Big Bet Ending

Birthday Party Surprise

Dancing on Steps

Portals - On Your Left

Most Underrated Movie of the Year

Most Overrated Movie of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Best Foreign Film of the Year

Best Documentary Film of the Year

Best Animated Film of the Year

Best Screenplay of the Year

But we must look a little closer. And when we do, we see that the doughnut hole has a hole in its center - it is not a doughnut hole at all but a smaller doughnut with its own hole, and our doughnut is not a hole at all!

I think you are the most annoying person I have ever met. I hate being with you, I hate looking at you... And if I had my way I would never - see you - again.

We discussed things. We were married, we said things. We talked about moving to Europe, about getting a sideboard or what do you call it, a credenza, to fill that empty space behind the couch. We never did any of it.

You're the one with the big mouth, and I would really enjoy closing it, especially in front of all my friends. But my hands are registered as lethal weapons. That means, we get into a fight, I accidentally kill you? I go to jail.

You know what kind of plan never fails? No plan. No plan at all. You know why? Because life cannot be planned. Look around you. Did you think these people made a plan to sleep in the sports hall with you? But here we are now, sleeping together on the floor. So, there's no need for a plan.

Best Supporting Actress of the Year

Florence Pugh - Little Women

Laura Dern - Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson - jojo Rabbit

Park So Dam - Parasite

Cho Yeo Jeong - Parasite

Best Supporting Actor of the Year

Brad Pitt- Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Al Pacino - The Irishman

Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse

Song Kang ho - Parasite

Best Actress of the Year

Saoirse Ronan - Little Women

Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story

Lupita Nyong'o - Us

Ana de Armas - Knives Out

Elisabeth Moss - Her Smell

Best Actor of the Year

Robert Pattinson - The Lighthouse

Leonardo Dicaprio - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Adam Driver - Marriage Story

Adam Sandler - Uncut Gems

Best Director of the Year

Quentin Tarantino - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Sam Mendes - 1917

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite

Martin Scoresese - The Irishman

Said Brothers - Uncut Gems

Initial Thoughts:

The divisive Joker took home 5 nominations. Phoenix got the lock with Best Actor and it picked up Best Sound and Best Score as well. But people seem to think it might be overrated, since it earned a nom in that category but did not pick up a Best Picture nomination.

Parasite, which won multiple Oscars, seems to be the big front runner to beat here picking up major nominations in big categories. It earned a whopping 11 nominations. This film had the tough task of getting the actors nominated in specific categories as it seemed to be the wild west with who thought they should place them where. Yet, we have 3 acting noms for this film (all supporting). So even though some people disagreed on Supporting vs Lead, some key players picked up recognition. Add to the mix the locked Foreign, Director and Best Picture and you have 6 noms right there. It earned a screenplay nod, best cast and memorable scene. Finally sound and cinematography to finish the big total.

1917 might be following the results of the Oscars as it failed to pick up a Best Picture nomination. People recognized Sam Mendes and Roger Deakin's talent and gave them some recognition, but 1917 might have to settle for technical awards if any.

Missing from the Oscars was The Lighthouse (1 nom) and Uncut Gems (0 noms) but they are richly presented here with multiple awards for each film. Adam Sandler is up against Robert Pattinson for Best Actor. Both films managed to get a Best Picture nod as well as some technical awards and acting.

OUATIH received two nominations in funniest scene and a slew of others to get a total of 10 awards, right on the heels of Parasite. Will Leo take him his 3rd Award after winning for Wolf of Wall Street and The Revenant?

The Irishman nabbed 8, both Pesci and Pacino in the supporting roles with DeNiro getting shut out again. Maybe The Irishman will have a repeat of the Oscars and walk away with ZERO.

Surprise support for Knives Out, picking up some big nominations in Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Cast and Screenplay, it also earned Ana de Armas a Breakout Performance nod.

What are your thoughts? Did Peanut Butter Falcon deserve a Best Picture slot over Joker or 1917? Was Elisabeth Moss's performance in Her Smell out of left field? Will the most recognized foreign language, documentary and animated film beat out the "best" film from that category?

Let us know!!!

Maybe I don't need this one?

EDIT - Yup, didn't need it.

Hope I didn't mess anything up. Going on no sleep here.

Best Picture
Peanut Butter Falcon
Parasite
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
The Irishman
The Lighthouse
Knives Out
Uncut Gems
Ad Astra
Jojo Rabbit

Best Director
Quentin Tarantino
Martin Scoresese
Sam Mendes
Safdi Brothers
Bong Joon Ho

Worst Film
Cats
Hellboy
MIB: International
The Fanatic
Haunting of Sharon Tate

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix
Adam Driver
Adam Sandler
Robert Pattinson
Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Actress
Elisabeth Moss
Ana de Armas
Scarlett Johansson
Lupita Nyong'o
Saorisa Ronan

Supporting Actor
Joe Pesci
Al Pacino
Song Kang Ho
Willem Dafoe
Brad Pitt

Supporting Actress
Park So Dam
Cho Yeo Jeong
Scarlett Johansson
Laura Dern
Florence Pugh

Screenplay
Uncut Gems
Parasite
Marriage Story
Knives Out

Animated
Missing Link
I Lost My Hand
Toy Story 4
Klaus
Lego Movie 2

Documentary
Apollo 11
Honeyland
American Factory
For Sama
Diego

Foreign
Parasite
Pain and Glory
Monos
Transit
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Surprise
Booksmart
Toy Story 4
Uncut Gems
Bait
Dolemite is my Name

Disappointment
The Dead Don't Die
It 2
Captain Marvel
Glass
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Overrated
Toy Story 4
Joker
Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman

Underrated
Fighting with my Family
Peanut Butter Falcon
Alita
Dolemite is my name
Uncut Gems

Memorable Scene
Portals - Avengers
Dancing on Staircase - Joker
Manson attack - Hollywood
Big Bet Ending - Uncut Gems
Party - Parasite

Funniest Scene
Sex Scene - Dolemite
Manson Attack - Hollywood
Flashback Fight - Hollywood
Hail Hitler - Jjo Rabbit
Late to Meeting - Irishman

Mixed Bag
Under the Silver Lake
Dead Don’t Die
The King
Ford V. Ferrari
Good Boys

Cast
Irishman
Knives Out
Avengers
Parasite

Cinematography
Parasite
Ad Astra
Lighthouse

Breakout Performance
Archie Yates - Jojo Rabbit
Roman Griffins - Jojo Rabbit
Julia Fox - Uncut Gems
Florence Pugh - Little Women/Midsommar
Ana de Armas - Knives Out

Best Score
Joker
Us
Parasite
Uncut Gems

Best Sound
Joker
Ad Astra
Ford V Ferrari
Parasite

VFX
The Irishman
The Lighthouse
Avengers: Endgame
Ad Astra

Welcome to the human race...
Stray Observations  

I didn't nominate anything for Best Sound because I didn't realize that was even a category. I see that Iro is in a similar boat. Was it added later, or did we both somehow miss it?

The only film I intended to watch that I didn't get around to was Ford v Ferrari, so I'll make sure to check it out before the deadline. I didn't watch Joker or The Irishman because I didn't particularly want to, but it looks like I'll have to at least watch The Irishman since it's in so many categories.

This is the first time I'm hearing about Peanut Butter Falcon, or if I've heard or seen somebody talking about it before, I've completely forgotten.

Disappointment: while I'll defend at least one or two of these titles, I can't really argue their placement in a generally solid field. This once again begs the question of what constitutes disappointment - does it still count if you weren't expecting the film itself to be good but you're more disappointed at its place within a greater context?
Personally, I only nominated films I expected to like. If I had any reason to believe it wouldn't be good, or if I noticed a number of negative or mixed reviews before seeing it for myself, it wasn't a disappointment to me.

I voted for only one of those films, and a different one was one of my picks for Worst Film, but it didn't make the list for that category. Similarly, a film that made the Worst Films category was one of my disappointments, but I wouldn't consider it absolutely terrible. Apparently others disagree with me though haha.

Superb graphics and layout TUS. Really like the variety of nominations here.

Glad to see Bait show up in one category, but a real shame that Joanna Hogg and The Souvenir are nowhere to be seen. Those are two films I wanted to give more nominations but were competing in crowded fields.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
It's nice to see some love for Uncut Gems. It was criminally forgotten by the Oscars but this is the Awards that count!

Thought:
-No love for 'A Hidden Life' or 'Honey Boy'? Damn.
-Awesome to see 'Bait' get a mention.
-Also great to see 'The Lighthouse', 'Uncut Gems', Ad Astra and 'Us' getting more love here than they did in the Oscars.
-As flawed as Midsommar was, I'd say it definitely deserved a cinematography mention.
-Many films I picked for Biggest Surprise didn't make it (Shazam being one), a bit disappointing.
-One film I quite enjoyed made it into 'Biggest Disappointment' and one film I was disappointed by made it into 'Biggest Surprise', very interesting.
-Two great picks there for ‘Most over-rated’, though I think one deserves it more.

There's 18 films here that I want to see but haven't seen yet (14 are only mentioned once though), I better get to it.

Overall, good picks.

Great job - but The Farewell in my opinion is an American film not a foreign film. Anyway I'm glad to see Bait and The Lighthouse there.
It beat out a German film by a vote. If people all feel the same way, we can eliminate it and sub the next most voted one.

Welcome to the human race...
I mean, if we're going by the criteria that "foreign" = "produced by another country", then The Farewell would be ineligible.

Personally, I only nominated films I expected to like. If I had any reason to believe it wouldn't be good, or if I noticed a number of negative or mixed reviews before seeing it for myself, it wasn't a disappointment to me.

I voted for only one of those films, and a different one was one of my picks for Worst Film, but it didn't make the list for that category. Similarly, a film that made the Worst Films category was one of my disappointments, but I wouldn't consider it absolutely terrible. Apparently others disagree with me though haha.
A fair point, though I guess I tend to keep my expectations tempered no matter what so a family has to work pretty hard to be a genuine disappointment - it's a matter of the distance between how good I hope it will be and how good it actually is.