Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I can't speak to the later films, but original three are great and I've rewatched all three several times.
I liked the originals too. I saw The Bourne Legacy (2012) with my father in the cinema and was extremely confused. I usually avoid reading spoilers, so I expected Matt Damon and narrative continuity... it didn’t impress me enough to remember anything at all.

Don’t really plan on seeing the 2016 instalment.

I liked the originals too. I saw The Bourne Legacy (2012) with my father in the cinema and was extremely confused. I usually avoid reading spoilers, so I expected Matt Damon and narrative continuity... it didn’t impress me enough to remember anything at all.

Don’t really plan on seeing the 2016 instalment.
Yeah, this kind of sums it up for me. I think I watched about 30 minutes of Bourne Legacy on a streaming service and it was just too by-the-numbers for me.

The original trilogy stands alone so well. (Though I can understand why the studio didn't want it to be over!).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Maedchen in Uniform - 7/10
Not a good start, but picks up after a while, and turns out to be a pretty good movie. Would definitely fall into the "Early Taboo Movies" category.

The Hunt - 6.5/10
I enjoyed this more than I expected to, although many of the actors I like had little more than cameo roles. Always great to see Hilary Swank though.

Not a film but I finally watched the last episode of Game of Thrones today and after the show diverged from the source books (season 6) it started right down hill and picked up speed until the really bad 8th season. It shouldn't have surprised a Hollywood cynic like me but even I was stunned at how typical, melodramatic and even corny it got. It felt like after Martin's influence was over they got Shonda Rhimes or worse The Walking Dead staff writers to finish it...crushing.

Rewatched Magic (1978) with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Margaret 4/5

It's a really solid trilogy. I can't speak to the later films, but original three are great and I've rewatched all three several times. The supporting casts are really good as well.
This 100x, interesting and well put together. A vibrancy and momentum that laid the marker for modern espionage films.

The Green Inferno (2013)

Graphic mix between modern scare movies and cannibal numbers of the 70s. I thought all around OK and it kept me watching...nothing that new but the violence is gleeful!

Aye, a good one Gideon...that atmospheric I forgot about the plot sometimes.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

2.5/5

As a thriller, I wasn't thrilled. As a horror film, perhaps I was a bit disgusted. I've never been a huge fan of child/infant exploitation in horror films. I kind of draw the line there. It just makes me feel really uncomfortable. Maybe it's a personal thing, (and maybe it is), but I don't like watching children and infants being taken advantage of—even if it's "staged/make believe." Not really my cup of tea. On the other hand, I did see this film on VHS and some of the old VHS-Horror-Aesthetic was there which did bring me back in some way which did have it charms— (and perhaps the reason it scored as high as it did with me). But I'm dropping this off at the drop box at my local library and forgetting this. Wasn't a fan all and all.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ride Lonesome (1959) -

The Tall T (1957) -

Seven Men From Now (1956) -

Decision at Sundown (1957) -

Comanche Station (1960) -

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958) -

Westbound (1959) -

@Takoma11 inspired me to watch a film by Budd Boetticher, so I watched Ride Lonesome. The film was very good, but I disliked the rushed ending and ended up desiring more, so I thought what the hell, I'll watch more, and watched The Tall T, which turned out to be my favorite of all Budd Boetticher & Scott collaborations. Brutal and very gripping with Henry Silva playing one helluva bastard! I still craved for more, so I decided to watch all 5 remaining films. None of them topped the first two, but all were enjoyable watches. I watched 7 westerns in 2 days. I can't look at a western now! I need a break from the genre!

功夫 [Kung Fu Hustle] (2004) -

So here's my well-deserved break. A Stephen Chow martial arts comedy. Silly, yes, but also quite cute, and endlessly entertaining.

姉妹坂 [Four Sisters] (1985) -

Let me paste my Letterboxd "review":

A bond stronger than blood ties and great love under the auspices of the star fisherman. Peace to him who comes to the world and peace to those who leave it. The perfect melodrama.
This and the screens should suffice, I guess. I could also tell you about Obayashi's outstanding swan song Labyrinth of Cinema, but let's be real, nobody here cares about Obayashi.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ride Lonesome (1959) -

The Tall T (1957) -

Seven Men From Now (1956) -

Decision at Sundown (1957) -

Comanche Station (1960) -

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958) -

Westbound (1959) -

@Takoma11 inspired me to watch a film by Budd Boetticher, so I watched Ride Lonesome. The film was very good, but I disliked the rushed ending and ended up desiring more, so I thought what the hell, I'll watch more, and watched The Tall T, which turned out to be my favorite of all Budd Boetticher & Scott collaborations. Brutal and very gripping with Henry Silva playing one helluva bastard! I still craved for more, so I decided to watch all 5 remaining films. None of them topped the first two, but all were enjoyable watches. I watched 7 westerns in 2 days. I can't look at a western now! I need a break from the genre!
I'm sorry you didn't like them more (or maybe a 2 is a decent score for you?), but I appreciate that you checked them out! I feel like I'd never really heard Boetticher mentioned in terms of Westerns (admittedly not my area of expertise), but once I watched one of his movies I felt like he should always be in the conversation. Like I said before, I really enjoy the way that his characters are developed and that there's a lot of emphasis on their character and not so much their "skills".

If you'd like a really weird, surreal western (when you've recovered from your Western overdose!), I highly recommend Django Kill! If you live . . .shoot!.

功夫 [Kung Fu Hustle] (2004) -

So here's my well-deserved break. A Stephen Chow martial arts comedy. Silly, yes, but also quite cute, and endlessly entertaining.
This is one of maybe 5 movies that I can always watch, and specifically that I turn to if I'm feeling a bit down.

This and the screens should suffice, I guess. I could also tell you about Obayashi's outstanding swan song Labyrinth of Cinema, but let's be real, nobody here cares about Obayashi.
I won't pretend I've seen more than one of his films. But this is the shirt I wore to workout today:

‘人魚伝説’ (1984)
aka Mermaid Legend

Japanese revenge film where corrupt businessmen kill a fisher and his wife makes them pay. I think this is the first Ikeda film I've seen. Based on this, he kind of reminds me of Miike; slow and "normal" start with escalating violence towards the end. It's a rather somber and beautiful film, but the climax is technically somewhat poorly executed. Quite entertaining film still and makes me want to check out the Evil Dead Trap at some point.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Under Siege (1992):
A good Steven Seagal movie, well done action scenes and Gary Busey being himself.
8/10

Under Siege (1992):
A good Steven Seagal movie, well done action scenes and Gary Busey being himself.
8/10
Action scenes are fine (like in all old Seagal films) EXCEPT for the awful knife fight. It just looks ridiculous.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Action scenes are fine (like in all old Seagal films) EXCEPT for the awful knife fight. It just looks ridiculous.
Agreed, Andrew Davis is a good director, Seagal hasn’t made a good movie since Glimmer Man though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm sorry you didn't like them more
My new rating system is a mess. I'm still working on it. Anyway, I enjoy films I rate
. Can you say the same?
I highly recommend Django Kill! If you live . . .shoot!
Watched it years ago. My expertise in spaghetti westerns isn't small. I've seen more than sixty of them!
This is one of maybe 5 movies that I can always watch, and specifically that I turn to if I'm feeling a bit down.
It's amazing. I wish they developed the lollipop substory a little bit more. So adorable! Still can't decide if this, From Beijing with Love, or King of Comedy is my favorite Chow.
I won't pretend I've seen more than one of his films. But this is the shirt I wore to workout today:
Yeah, Hausu is an outstanding film, don't get me wrong, but Obayashi is too accomplished an artist to be only known through the lenses of this one film. Plus he has at least half a dozen better films.