Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Greenwich Village Story - 7/10
One of the early movies about beatniks. Surprised it only has 17 votes on IMDB, despite it being available in full on YouTube (link below)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I liked it a hair more than you did (maybe a 3/5 for me), but overall I agree. There are some interesting character dynamics, but it's more of a drama than a Western, despite the action setpiece of the chase.

WARNING: "What I liked..." spoilers below
Was that the prostitute became the hero, despite her being shunned early on in the movie.

El Habitante Incierto (The Uninvited Guest) (2004) - 6.5/10. Watched this two weeks ago. The movie is good, but not great. It kept the suspense really well, but didn't really culminate in anything jaw dropping. The humour elements were nicely woven in. The acting and direction was good. Watchable for sure.

Adam's Apples (2005)

Outrageous without being silly, this is one of the best dark comedies I've ever seen. If you think rape, molestation, handicapped children, and racism is funny, then this is the movie for you. Great rec by MG and MM since I never would have watched it on my own.
So happy to see it worked for you, cricket!

[Targets]Thanks very much for the interesting review Doc. Well and truly added to the list of films I need to see. Cheers.
Well thanks, James. I think you'll like it. It's a very interesting film in a number of ways.

El Habitante Incierto (The Uninvited Guest) (2004) - 6.5/10. Watched this two weeks ago. The movie is good, but not great. It kept the suspense really well, but didn't really culminate in anything jaw dropping. The humour elements were nicely woven in. The acting and direction was good. Watchable for sure.

I will need to find this.. I enjoy spanish films.. I have a close friend in Argentina that I used to watch these with all the time. Im a huge Ricardo Darin fan thanks to him.

The House that Jack Built (2018) - Lars von Trier

- 2nd rewatch. One of the best movie of the decade and one brilliant movie from a director I've never really appreciate before this film. Matt Dillon is absolutely amazing and the ending is unique and awesome.

Scarecrow (1973)

Hackman and Pacino both deliver compelling performances in this early 70s road movie about two men who team up to hitchhike across America and develop a deep bond of friendship. Hackman plays Max, the tough ex-con, mistrustful and always ready for a fight. Pacino plays 'Lion', the young, funny, energetic but vulnerable man who's just completed five years at sea. The two make their way across the country via car and freight train, from city to city, blue collar bar to bar, spurred on by their mutually unrealistic dreams; Max's to open a car wash business and Lion's to reunite with his girlfriend and the five year old child he abandoned.

This is a great little character study of two damaged, dislocated and lonely men, driven on by their dreams and their bond with each other. Funny, poignant and tragic. It's great to see Pacino and Hackman on screen together on top form.The ending is heartbreaking as both of their dreams are crushed.

4/5 Stars

The House that Jack Built (2018) - Lars von Trier

- 2nd rewatch. One of the best movie of the decade and one brilliant movie from a director I've never really appreciate before this film. Matt Dillon is absolutely amazing and the ending is unique and awesome.
@Derek Vinyard

I agree with you.. I gave this film 4/5 stars and it is one of my favorite Von Trier films.

Fair enough. I haven't seen any Boetticher film as I'm not really that much into classical westerns, preferring some spaghetti on my plate. I'll watch his arguably best known Ride Lonesome sometime in the future, though, for sure.
Ride Lonesome and The Tall T are my two favorites of his. There's something about the way that he explores the morality and vulnerability of his main character's that I really like.

Still, I doubt it can top Stagecoach which is a film of beauty. The scene in which the baby is about to be born, and the men just stand there in a room is forever engrained in my mind. It's the blocking and their faces
I agree that it's the strongest stretch of the film. I also think that, more than any action sequence, it shows the beauty of people coming together in a time of stress.

WARNING: "What I liked..." spoilers below
Was that the prostitute became the hero, despite her being shunned early on in the movie.
Yes--the whole concept of equality and putting people in an environment where social norms don't necessarily apply.

I agree with your review and rating. It does feel like it's missing some "oomph" in the final act.

Come to Daddy
(2019)
2.75/5

MPO, Elijah Wood needs to stop with horror. He's not any good. The movie was very predictable.

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable (1973)

The darkest and least cartoonish of the series, it may be my favorite but it's close with the first one. Still have to see part four.

I Am Not A Witch (2017)

Shula is a little girl who one day has the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time--a woman in the village falls and looks up to see Shula watching her. From there it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to Shula being accused of witchcraft, found "guilty" through the results of a dubious witch doctor ceremony, and shipped off to a labor camp full of convicted "witches". Told that she must either agree that she is a witch or be turned into a goat, Shula declares herself a witch. Her face is scarred with three slashes, and she is put to work.

The "witches", conveniently, are all older women. And rather than become a burden on their families, they are taken away to perform unpaid manual labor. Shula is the only child in the camp (the other witches react with disgust on her arrival because they disapprove of someone so young being sent there), and the government official in charge of the camp soon realizes that Shula may be the key to more successful endeavors.

The film is taking on a lot: child labor, superstition, slavery, poverty tourism, and more. And yet despite its plate being so full, the film manages to make several potent points with just a handful of scenes. For example, we are several times shown that the women are part of a tourist trip. From behind a flimsy metal railing, international travelers take photos of the witches. When one tourist discovers Shula in a garish container, she seems genuinely concerned at Shula's clear depression and alarmed on learning that Shula has been in there for two days. "I know what will make you feel better," the tourist says. "Let's take a picture together and I'll send it to you!". Thus all the help that Shula gets is an unwanted selfie.

In another excellent sequence, the government official takes Shula on to a TV program to promote both her powers of prediction (that she can summon rain), and also to advertise a new line of eggs with Shula's name on them. When a caller to the TV show berates him for profiting off of a child and questions why Shula isn't in school, the government official blusters that the criticism is a "misuse of free speech".

Aside from the writing, the film also contains some very potent imagery, most specifically the way that the witches are controlled. Each woman, and Shula, has a harness on her back attached to a long white ribbon that is fed from a spool. These ribbons obviously stand for the degree of freedom (or lack thereof) of the women. Shula is told several times that she should be grateful because the ribbon is so long. In the entire 90 minute runtime of the film I never got tired of the staging of the ribbons or the spools. Such an elegant, powerful representation of the limits that are put on certain people.

On the one hand, the film goes scene after scene making different points about Shula's predicament, and yet to me it never felt superficial. Each sequence felt like its own story, and I felt that it added up to more than the sum of its parts. Writing this review I keep thinking of different scenes I want to describe and discuss and why they struck me. I only meant to watch a bit of the film (because I have work early tomorrow) but I couldn't stop watching.

The only thing that I felt negative about was an abrupt plot element in the final act. But this film had me captivated from the first frame to the last.