The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nicholas Ray’s (Rebel without a Cause, In A Lonely Place) intense, colorful Johnny Guitar is one of those unforgettable movies, like it or lump it. Jealousy, obsession, and hatred swirl around this tale of saloon owner Vienna (Joan Crawford), her rival Emma (Mercedes McCambridge), and two dangerous, handsome men in The Dancing Kid (Scott Brady) and Johnny Guitar (Sterling Hayden). Vienna has put herself at odds with the ranching community by supporting the building of the railroad through the region and tensions eventually come to an explosive head. The supporting cast features Ernest Borgnine, Royal Dano, Ward Bond, and John Carradine. There’s even a theme song sung by Peggy Lee! The movie is bizarre and high camp and must be seen to be believed. Is there a drag queen stage version of this? There simply MUST be. A mostly critical dud upon release its reputation and fandom have grown over the generations, including here on MoFo burning down fourteen votes including a seventh, two fifth, a fourth, and a pair of second place votes.

In any genre the original usually gets more love then the remake, but here on MoFo James Mangold’s reworking of Elmore Leonard’s story 3:10 to Yuma has outpaced the 1957 Demler Daves original by 126 points and nineteen spots on the countdown! Fifty years later while the basic plot of a desperate rancher (Christain Bale) being enlisted to transport a dangerous criminal (Russell Crowe) to a prison-bound train remains exactly the same, along with more action the key addition is the expansion of the role of the son (Logan Lerman) who is initially seduced much more by the outlaw’s steady bravado than his father’s perceived lack of courage and sense of adventure. The action of the final act is certainly a fun ride, so fun that seventeen ballots contained the more recent 3:10 to Yuma including a first place, two second, a third, a seventh, a ninth, and a tenth place.

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
32. Johnny Guitar (1954)
31. One-Eyed Jacks
SO close. Johnny Guitar had only one more point than High Plains Drifter.

32. One-Eyed Jacks
31. High Plains Drifter
30. Johnny Guitar

No idea if I've ever seen Johnny Guitar or not but sadly I couldn't find a copy in the run-up to this which meant it wasn't ever gonna factor on my ballot. A little saddened to see the remake of 3:10 To Yuma figure so much higher than the original but it is what it is I suppose.

Seen: 38/72
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.03):
28. The Call Of The Wild
27. A Pistol For Ringo

SO close. Johnny Guitar had only one more point than High Plains Drifter.

32. One-Eyed Jacks
31. High Plains Drifter
30. Johnny Guitar
Yeah, I've already updated the algorithm to try and avoid getting so close again

I had High Plains Drifter at #5 on my list.

I liked the remake of 3:10 To Yuma and almost added it to my list but decided against it.

James Mangold’s 3:10 to Yuma Is a tense movie with gripping performances and a great story. I saw it three times during its theatrical run and loved it more and more each time. But while I originally went to see it for Russell Crowe (who once again spends a good amount of time in chains ), Ben Foster was the one who blew me away. Crowe and the others, including Christian Bale who I normally can’t stand, are all very good, but Foster is nothing short of amazing as Crowe’s second in command, Charlie Prince.

It’s a former all-time top ten film for me and while I am a tiny bit disappointed that it didn’t place even higher, I am THRILLED at how much better it scored than the Delmer Daves version. It should be no surprise to anyone who knows my taste in movies that this was #1 on my ballot.

I haven’t seen Johnny Guitar.

My Ballot:
1. 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (#29)
3. Open Range (#36)
5. The Quick and the Dead (#42)
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
18. Slow West (#95)
21. Rango (#41)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

Yes!!! Johnny Guitar blew me away with its subtextual lesbian and feminist themes, something really refreshing for the often sexist Westerns made back in the 1950s. It got my vote!

Seen: 17/72
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
- Johnny Guitar (#30)

My list:
12. Johnny Guitar
14. Hell or High Water
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Johnny Guitar was on my list at #24. Glad to see it has some fans!

Johnny Guitar (1954)
Director: Nicholas Ray
Writers: Philip Yordan (screenplay), Roy Chanslor (novel)
Cast: Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge
Genre: Western

Johnny Guitar is currently rated at 7.7 on IMDB, a very high rating indeed. Usually only the best made films reach such dizzying heights and yet somehow Nicolas Ray's oddball film has done just that. But why?

When Joan Crawford is in the right role, she slays it. She's effective in the movie as a polished but tough as nails, savvy business woman who may or may not have slept her way to valuable insider information. That information enabled her to buy up worthless land in the middle of nowhere. She knows that the railroad is coming through the area, making her land very valuable. 'Vienna' (Joan Crawford) finds herself being singled out by a rival woman who hates her guts and rallies the marshal and town's folk to harass her and her friends. Accusing them of all sorts of wrong doings.

The entire film is based on ambiguity and an unusual juxtaposition of characters with 'tough guy' women slinging guns and 'pretty boy' men who dance and play the guitar as the women battle for supremacy. All this is done in a western version of a morality-concept play with enough flair to lift the pulp material to an artistic level that I'm sure no other director would have conceived of. It might be hard for the casual movie watcher to get this experimental type of western, but the French New Wave directors like Truffaut got it...I suspect it was their admiration of the film that has lifted Johnny Guitar from it's initial box office failure to the darling of hard core movie buffs.

Reportedly Johnny Guitar's script is an analogy of the black listing that was going on in Hollywood in the 1950s. We see the town's folks led by a virulent rancher named 'Emma Small', played to perfect by Mercedes McCambridge. She heads up lesser willed town folks into a posse of followers, who go along with her just because she's an outright loudmouth & bully with clout. The towns folks attempt to drive the 'outsider' Vienna and her 'outsider' friends out of town, and they do even worse to them. All of this of course was what was actually happening with McCarthyism and black listing in Hollywood.

Johnny Guitar is like a western opera with lines that are spoken not so much for the movie's sake, but more as a message to the audiences of the time.

Expected to love Johnny Guitar but I was very underwhelmed. I don't think I am a Joan Crawford fan.

3:10 To Yuma is a very entertaining film. Hit the back end of my list somewhere.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Johnny Guitar is one I haven't and should make attempts to see, and, hopefully will.

3:10 to Yuma's 2007 remake made my list at #14:

3:10 To Yuma

"Even bad men love their mama."

A true western in it's very essence and a definitive must see for Western fans looking to venture into movies made within the past decade or so. The story is originally written by Elmore Leonard, a favorite writer of mine, and a remake of the 1957 version with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin (and at the time of this review from the 16th HoF, I had only a very vague memory of possibly seeing this as a very young pup with zero recollection of the film itself) so I was unable to confirm how close to the novel or original movie it came, but I did know, on it's own merits, I rate it very highly.

Leonard's characters are rarely, strictly good OR evil. They are human. And we see this and, in any good Western, we see a deeper message of honor, and doing what needs to be done, to the very end.
Ben Wade, played with roguish style by Russell Crowe is caught after committing a violent stagecoach robbery of Railroad funds.
To get him to the town of Contention and the train to jail in Yuma, Dan Evans, a nearly broken rancher/farmer, played with a believable mixture of humility and nobility (which ain't easy) of a simple man trying to provide for his family against odds determined to make him fail; is willing to come along for the price of paying off past debts to make it happen.

Along with some minor roles done wonderfully by Peter Fonda and Alan Tudyk, who also go to make sure that Crowe's character makes his train, a favorite scene-stealer, for me, is---

Ben Foster playing Crowe's #2 man, Charlie Prince with such a dangerous serenity in a VERY sharp coat. I simply f@ckin love his character.

As previously stated, this is reminiscent of the Old School Westerns and the Codes that rang true for them, sans any naivety, along with some great shoot outs and action scenes, there are some truly excellent dialogue throughout this film. As I say, a must see for Western fans and a very worthwhile film for those that are not, so much.
Of course, now, having finally watched the original, I wrote a small comparison of the two when reviewing the original in this Countdown. Posing the question: Which of these two WOULD I have put on my List IF I saw both beforehand.
And I gotta tell ya, I am utterly split. Which is a bit of a rarity when it comes to originals and remakes. Finding one or the other superior, or, by how entertained I was overall by a given version.
None of that works, since I find them of equal merit with the original being a more "meat and potatoes" when it comes to the story, the remake a more grander/flashier extended version of the story. So that doesn't work.
And when it comes to entertaining, well, I can easily sit and watch either version now, and enjoy THAT version for its own merit and be satisfied. Shooting that criteria down the pooper.
Knowing full well I couldn't put both with countless others being pushed aside, in the end, I would have gone with assisting the one I would have guessed had lesser votes, (the original) since no other avenue allowed me to distinguish which of the two was a preference for me. With the likelihood of it staying in the exact same position of #14. Bringing the original up 3 positions with the additional 12 points in the countdown while keeping the remake in the same position. The loss of the 12 points making no difference in its position.

Movies Watched 48 out of 72 (66.67%)

John Wayne Films: Two
Clint Eastwood Films: One

MY LIST

2. Open Range (#2)
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
14. 3:10 To Yuma '07 (#29)
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
24. Red River (#56)

Rectification List (for my own old decrepit noodle)
1. Warlock (#94)
2. Naked Spur (#86)
3. The Great Train Robbery (#60)
4. Winchester '73 (#53)
5. 3:10 To Yuma ['57] (#48)
6. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)

I took me awhile to get into Johnny Guitar but in the end I liked it enough to include as my own 1-pointer.

My List:

5. High Plains Drifter (#31)
6. Little Big Man (#39)
7. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
10. The Shootist (#58)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
15. 3:10 to Yuma (1957) (#48)
18. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (#76)
19. The Naked Spur (#86)
20. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (#67)
22. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
24. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)
25. Johnny Guitar (#30)

Have heard of Johnny Guitar all my life but never got the opportunity to watch it. I do want to so much. I saw a scene with Mercedes McCambridge, practically hissing up the screen and knew I had to see it. No luck yet.

This version to 3:10 to Yuma I have seen, but because I saw it the year it was released and I didn't have the chance to catch the original. Nevertheless I love this one and saw it several times. Neither made my list, but if I had seen Guitar, who knows?

I figured Johnny Guitar would make it on Western fan popularity alone, and I'm glad 3:10 to Yuma got in. It deserves it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Johnny Guitar wasn't on my watchlist, but it aired on one of the cable channels around the time that some Mofos were discussing it, so I decided to watch it. I'm glad that I did because it was better than I expected, but it didn't make my list.

I seem to be in the minority here because I prefer the original version of 3:10 to Yuma over the remake. I liked that Dan's son William had a larger role in the remake, but I liked Glenn Ford and Van Heflin more than Russell Crowe and Christian Bale in the two lead roles. I just seemed to care more about the characters in the original version, which made me care more about the outcome. I also prefer the original ending over the ending of the remake.