Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just have a couple of comments that shouldn't create any extra work for you.

I kind of liked the other main page for the custom lists better, where the movie posters would "flip" as you ran your mouse across them. It showed more movies from each list, (and it was kind of fun to play with when I got bored. )

Also, I assume that you know that the "Lists" tab on the "Profile" page only shows the first 3 lists, and there will be a way to get to the rest of the lists when this is done?

Don’t think I’ve changed the poster thing at all. Still enlarges them as you hover.

Yes, it will have a link to display them all. We'll get into links and features and stuff after the basic testing. You guys can trust me on that. It's not a lie.

I've noticed the pre-1930 countdown comes up as one of my lists in my profile now. Is that because I curated it? If so I don't think these community lists should really appear amongst those that a single user has put together, just seems a little odd.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I kind of liked the other main page for the custom lists better, where the movie posters would "flip" as you ran your mouse across them. It showed more movies from each list, (and it was kind of fun to play with when I got bored. )
Don’t think I’ve changed the poster thing at all. Still enlarges them as you hover.

On the Custom Lists page from the link in the first post of this thread, the posters are laid out 10 posters across, overlapping each other. As you pass the mouse over the posters, the poster under the mouse pops up above the rest of the posters, and the movie's title pops up above the image of the highlighted poster.

On the Custom Lists page from our Profile page, the posters are laid out 6 posters across, but not overlapping. As you pass the mouse over the posters, the movie's title pops up, but not the image of the poster. If it's supposed to enlarge the poster on this page when the mouse hovers over it, it's not working for me. (Windows 10 system with Firefox)

On the Custom Lists page from the link in the first post of this thread, the posters are laid out 10 posters across, overlapping each other. As you pass the mouse over the posters, the poster under the mouse pops up above the rest of the posters, and the movie's title pops up above the image of the highlighted poster.

On the Custom Lists page from our Profile page, the posters are laid out 6 posters across, but not overlapping. As you pass the mouse over the posters, the movie's title pops up, but not the image of the poster. If it's supposed to enlarge the poster on this page when the mouse hovers over it, it's not working for me. (Windows 10 system with Firefox)
Ah, I see. I assumed only the former page could be the "main" page, so the "other main page" must be some previous incarnation of that.

I haven't settled on a specific layout for the Lists tab in the profile yet, or anything else for that matter. Still not really ready for much feedback on the design elements with so many technical things to be done. As noted a bit earlier, I'll be starting another thread and making it clear when we're at that point.

Okay, there's a "View All" link now for anyone who has more than three public lists. The resulting page is pretty basic, basically the same layout as the one you use to view the lists yourself, but that'll change a bit, too.

Gonna think a bit more about the most elegant way to let people reorder. Probably an overlay, like the Settings menu. Will probably put Custom Lists on posts next, though, before that. Coming along!

I made a list but can't seem to make it public. I just get redirected to a 404 error page. Just thought someone might want to know

'To change the order your lists show up on your profile and posts, drag them up or down using the icon on the left.'

Guessing you're gonna say this bit is still a WiP but just in case it isnae ..... what icon????

'To change the order your lists show up on your profile and posts, drag them up or down using the icon on the left.'

Guessing you're gonna say this bit is still a WiP but just in case it isnae ..... what icon????
The little three-line grabby thing. Technically I think you can grab the lists anywhere, though.

The little three-line grabby thing. Technically I think you can grab the lists anywhere, though.
I don't have any such icon (see screenshot below) and I've tried grabbing the lists by title or by one of the posters and moving them but it doesn't actually do it?

Latest version of Safari browser on a Mac if that helps at all.

Ohh. Heh. That text is left over from the old page. My mistake.
No worries.
The ability to reorder them might be nice at some point though

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just noticed that if you search for a film on the lists page, it brings up the custom lists that film is in. If you then click on the name of the custom list it just takes you back to the lists page.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
...it may just be because the ones I clicked on were all private lists. But in that case should they show up at all? Or should it link to some kind of 'this list is private' message?

Yeah, it's the private thing. I'm re-doing the whole Lists area once this is settled a bit, but in the meantime there'll be weird little ways the "new" and "old" lists interact like that.