The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Forgot about Three Burials. According to my rating of it on another site it should have been no lower than 17 on my list. Whoops! Can't wait to see what else I missed.

Halfway recap: seen 12/50

My list:
2. The Shooting (71)
8. Django (64)
17. Bone Tomahawk (54)
18. Three Amigos (82)
24. Maverick (72)

George Stevens’ Giant is a three hour and fifteen-minute epic drama blockbuster adaptation of Edna Ferber’s best selling novel about ranchers and oilmen in Texas featuring an all-star cast of Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Mercedes McCambridge, Carroll Baker, Chill Wills, Sal Mineo, Dennis Hopper, and James Dean in his final screen role. Dean starred in three films before the car accident that killed him at the age of twenty-four: East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, and Giant. He died just a week after he wrapped on Giant (with the movie still in production) and one of his scenes had to be looped by another actor (Nick Adams) in post production. Those two years before his death were so full of work and promise that he became the first actor to get a posthumous Oscar nomination, first as Best Actor for East of Eden and then duplicating that the next year when he was nominated as Best Actor again for Giant. He won neither – Ernest Borgine won for Marty the first time (Spencer Tracy was also nominated that year for Bad Day at Black Rock) and Yul Brenner the second time for The King & I. Co-star Rock Hudson was also nominated as Best Actor. Giant was nominated for eight other Academy Awards including Best Picture and it won Best Director for Stevens, his fourth nomination and second win.
Funny, I never think of Giant as a western. If I had, it would probably have gone into my top 25. It was a great epic film.

When we were with Warner Bros. Records they asked if there was any film we'd like to see in a private screening on the Burbank lot. We chose Giant. It was a thrill sitting in one of those director/producer/bigwig private screening rooms in large plush seats with the band and a few guests. Made a guy feel like a big shot. Then you leave the screening and go back out in the real world...

Three Burials was on my watchlist for a while. I finally got to it for this countdown and I loved it. I was initially going to vote for it but ended up changing my mind. There are several movies that will make this countdown that I love that I didn't vote for simply because of genre classification. It's not about definitions but rather just how I feel while watching. Not voting for Alfredo Garcia was easy because I never felt like it was a western. Three Burials was easily my toughest omission.

Saw Giant for it's decade countdown and it's an impressive film. I didn't vote for it.

I watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada pretty early on in my preparations for this list. I think it was a recommendation from cricket. It took me awhile to get really engaged with it, but once I did I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had it at #15.

I had intended to watch Giant in preparation for the 50s countdown but never got to it so I rectified that about a month ago. I have the utmost respect for this film. It's very impressive and its comments on racism, sexism, classism, greed, and war are still relevant. Unfortunately, I don't especially like it and, while I considered it for my ballot, it did not get my vote.

My Ballot:
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
18. Slow West (#95)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

Another from my list. I thought Giant was fantastic. I'm a sucker for epic storytelling, but this is one of the better ones.

I intended to get to Giant, but good lord that running time. Haven’t even heard of Three Burials, looks really interesting!

Seen: 9/50
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)

My ballot:
19. Red River
21. Bone Tomahawk

Welcome to the human race...
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was my #13. I can thank Holden for being the one to put it on my radar (mainly by putting it at the top of his top 100 of the 2000s) as it is definitely one of the best 21st-century Westerns that's able to be grim but not gratuitous and morose without being melodramatic.

Giant, on the other hand, is a film that I did not care for - as good as certain parts were, they felt like they were spaced too far apart across its considerable running time. At least Dean is good in it.

The trick is not minding
3 Burials is one I’ve been meaning to watch for a long time. Since it’s first release in fact. I had forgotten about it though.
Giant is a good film, hadn’t seen it for over a decade since it’s running time is quite daunting but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

I wasn't a fan of Bone Tomahawk. It wasn't very realistic, and didn't have any meaningful content. It was a pretty superficial movie that focused more on surface level visuals and violence than anything else.

I kinda hoped I would get Giant watched before the deadline. But that didn’t happen, unfortunately.

It’s the last one I’m missing with Dean. My grandpa was a huge fan of his. I kinda want to see this film even more because of that.

Haven’t heard of the other one.

Giant might deserve a Hall of Fame look seeing as how poorly it did...Also happy to see Bone Tomahawk do better in this than it did with the Hall of Fame.

25. Bone Tomahawk
21. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
12. The Gold Rush
04. Giant

I haven't seen either of the last two. Giant at least is a familiar title, but I don't think I've even heard of the other.

Seen 17(+2)/50

My List  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
8. Bone Tomahawk
9. Maverick
15.The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
19. City Slickers
20. Back to the Future III
25. Westworld

Bone Tomahawk blends a genre I love and one I am very unfamiliar with (just wait till you see my list, ha) and it does so really well. Western-Horror is a something that I would love to dive into more and has a lot of potential.

The film had an unrecognizable Richard Jenkins. I honestly didn't know he was in the film until the end credits. People call the acting stiff, I disagree, it's serviceable at worst. It has "look behind your fingertips" moments and a well placed directorial effort from S. Craig Mahler. I will say this though, he needs an editor who isn't afraid of chopping his films down in length. His shortest film is 2hrs 12mins.

I wasn't a big fan of Three Burials upon first viewing, but I've grown to appreciate the delicate patiences that Jones exhibits with his directorial effort. Double dipping with acting as well, the film feels a tad under appreciated even. I know I sure did when I first saw it.

Finally BTTFIII, my least favourite in the trilogy, but has enough fun material to warrant a spot on my list. The placing is proof that I still need to see more Westerns.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Giant is my #14. George Stevens' rendering of Edna Ferber's epic about Texas ranchers and oilmen proves to be a deep movie about how men try to force their ways on their "womenfolk" and kids, treating them like little more than cattle. At least that's what Rock Hudson does until Elizabeth Taylor shows him what's up after their marriage. She also drives him crazy by taking an interest in the poor Mexicans and his poor rival, James Dean. It's a fascinating early treatment of feminism, racism and machismo (Rock's sister Mercedes McCambridge may be the most macho character!) that covers over 20 years. Rock has never been better, Liz gives one of her greatest performances and JD his last. It's long but I find it an easy watch.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is a fine examination of the differences (if any) between revenge and redemption with tip-top performances by Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper.

My List

10. Red River
11. Oklahoma!
14. Giant
20. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
After seeing it several times, I began seeing the eponymous rifle itself being the lead character, haha — with the other characters filling in supporting arcs around the gun's journey (to an extent that's practical as a story, anyway).

The Winchester is framed in a way that goes beyond a typical MacGuffin plot device — where objects like Citizen Kane's Rosebud or numerous Hitchcock objects are mostly relegated to the background in a fog of mystique as the narrative plays out. Whereas Mann's Winchester is very much at the center of the action for multuple major sequences. Even something like Pulp Fiction's suitcase, which gets a good amount of screen time compared the aforementioned older examples, remains shrouded behind questions (e.g., what the object itself is, how it came to be, unclear relevance to narrative, etc).*

The Winchester reminds me more of things like the title object in Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de.... Both of these, along with those Welles' and Tarantino's films, can be read as examples of Lacan's objet petit a concept — but films like Mann's and Ophuls' seem to distinguish themselves regarding the object's treatment.

The other films' objects come across as being intentionally loyal to the concept's "obscure" factor. But Mann and Ophuls go the other way, treating the rifle/earrings as more obvious symbols (allegories, even) referencing social experiences specific to history or a group of people; less universal and more observational.*

In the case of these two "distinct" film examples... The use of guns during the West's encroachment of first settlers' land, and the unintended adoption of them by the latter group that needlessly exacerbated social relations during that era. Or in Ophuls' case: a woman paralyzed by social expectation, trying her best to get rid of the earrings gifted by her husband, which are framed as a sort of "contract" for their relationship — the laws of which only seem to apply to her rather than both of them. The earrings' symbolic nature is so dynamic and inescapable throughout, even in casual scenes where they're not drawing any focus, that her "unattainable desire" manifests in indecisive behavior and ambivalence.

Didn't mean to type this much, haha. Just got carried away. The other post(s) in here dismissing Winchester '73 as perfectly typical (or a "meat and potatoes Western", as one user put it) motivated me to elaborate on these things more than I usually would. Lol. Not an attack on that user or others btw, just thought I'd offer another perspective for some variety.
A very interesting perspective and a great read, THANKS modelshop!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Hit a bit of a speed bump with two unwatched films.
I remember when Three Burials. . . came out and I was very curious to check it out and then it got lost in the shuffle. So I'm pretty happy to see it resurface so that I can add it to my Rectification List. And, considering the folks so far that have enjoyed it, that spot is very high due to their recommendations.

Giant is one of those Must See! iconic films that I seem to continually miss out on the opportunity to check out. So, another to the R of L.

At the Fifty mark I have only three so far on the board. One 60s, 0ne 80s and One 40s. Normally it's a lot more, which has a lot to do with the composition of this List as opposed to past ones that are basically all time favorites with a few recent new watches that I just loved. This time I did a Willy Wonka "Scratch that. Reverse it." So I'm sure a larger chunk will be in the next half. It's been a pretty exciting list so far, so I'm intrigued to see where we go from here.
Also with a Half-Time viewing of 60% I do believe that is a new record for me. So, NICE
And, I do believe I will be playing along with Holden's JW vs CE List as we go, so. . .

Movies Watched 30 out of 50 (60%)

John Wayne Films: One
Clint Eastwood Films: Zero

MY LIST

6. Ride The High Country (#63)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
24. Red River (#56)

Welcome to the human race...
After seeing it several times, I began seeing the eponymous rifle itself being the lead character, haha — with the other characters filling in supporting arcs around the gun's journey (to an extent that's practical as a story, anyway).

The Winchester is framed in a way that goes beyond a typical MacGuffin plot device — where objects like Citizen Kane's Rosebud or numerous Hitchcock objects are mostly relegated to the background in a fog of mystique as the narrative plays out. Whereas Mann's Winchester is very much at the center of the action for multuple major sequences. Even something like Pulp Fiction's suitcase, which gets a good amount of screen time compared the aforementioned older examples, remains shrouded behind questions (e.g., what the object itself is, how it came to be, unclear relevance to narrative, etc).*

The Winchester reminds me more of things like the title object in Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de.... Both of these, along with those Welles' and Tarantino's films, can be read as examples of Lacan's objet petit a concept — but films like Mann's and Ophuls' seem to distinguish themselves regarding the object's treatment.

The other films' objects come across as being intentionally loyal to the concept's "obscure" factor. But Mann and Ophuls go the other way, treating the rifle/earrings as more obvious symbols (allegories, even) referencing social experiences specific to history or a group of people; less universal and more observational.*

In the case of these two "distinct" film examples... The use of guns during the West's encroachment of first settlers' land, and the unintended adoption of them by the latter group that needlessly exacerbated social relations during that era. Or in Ophuls' case: a woman paralyzed by social expectation, trying her best to get rid of the earrings gifted by her husband, which are framed as a sort of "contract" for their relationship — the laws of which only seem to apply to her rather than both of them. The earrings' symbolic nature is so dynamic and inescapable throughout, even in casual scenes where they're not drawing any focus, that her "unattainable desire" manifests in indecisive behavior and ambivalence.

Didn't mean to type this much, haha. Just got carried away. The other post(s) in here dismissing Winchester '73 as perfectly typical (or a "meat and potatoes Western", as one user put it) motivated me to elaborate on these things more than I usually would. Lol. Not an attack on that user or others btw, just thought I'd offer another perspective for some variety.
Huh, I didn't think that comment came across as dismissive - it was intended to reflect how consistently solid Mann's work has been (I even said it came close to making my final list). Have I been using the expression wrong the whole time? In any case, yes, I would agree that centring the eponymous gun is definitely a novel way of navigating the Wild West and defining the various characters who populate it in relation to this particular symbol of "civilisation"

Huh, I didn't think that comment came across as dismissive - it was intended to reflect how consistently solid Mann's work has been (I even said it came close to making my final list). Have I been using the expression wrong the whole time? In any case, yes, I would agree that centring the eponymous gun is definitely a novel way of navigating the Wild West and defining the various characters who populate it in relation to this particular symbol of "civilisation"
Oh I'm sorry, for some reason my mind saw "meat and potatoes" but thought "bread and potatoes" (i.e., plain/bland) — even though I typed "meat", lol! Im not sure the latter even a saying? Good ole brain farts

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I considered Giant for my list, but it just kept getting pushed down by other movies, and eventually just slipped off my list. It's a very good movie, but I think the long run time may have hurt it a little bit for me.