Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
F/X (Robert Mandel, 1986)
+ 7.5/10
for the appreciation of the rather great and sadly underrated F/X. Of course starring the late great Brian Dennehy

Also remember Foul Play being a lot of fun but been many years since actually saw it

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Peter Rabbit (2018)

Hubby and I usually watch the movie Hop (2011) every year on Easter, but this year we watched Peter Rabbit (2018) instead. I expected it to be very childish, but I thought it was very good. Peter Rabbit is so cute. It's probably going to become our new Easter movie tradition.

+

Confession of Murder (2012) - 4/10. This was bad. Some bad acting. Some bad direction. A plot that can be ripped to shreds in minutes. Overall not a nice Friday viewing.

Since I'm in quarantine and have Disney +, I started a Marvel movie marathon in chronological order based on the events in the films. I haven't seen the majority of them since I'm not that big a fan of comic book films, but here goes...this should be interesting

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
(2011)

CAPTAIN MARVEL
(2019)

IRON MAN
(2008)

Next up: IRON MAN 2, THOR, and THE INCREDIBLE HULK

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Orphan (2009) - 5/10. Could have been a lot better. Felt a lot like the Good Son, only with a girl. Uses the same old tricks of false alarms and a few jump scares here and there. But so many loopholes! 911 responses are pretty quick even in the snow, so I just can't believe the lady drove home from the hospital before them!

Somehow I find Vera Farmiga unusually hot, even though she is not the prettiest in the industry!

These YouTube recommendations are letting me down big time!

High Plains Drifter (1973)

I think this is the western that I had already seen, but had been the longest since I had last seen it, probably 35 years when I was in my early teens. I remembered it as a great western, but that was a time when I had only seen a very small amount, mostly starring Clint Eastwood. After having seen many other westerns, I now see this as good, but not great or even very good. The big drawback for me is that I didn't feel the character or atmosphere that great westerns have, and the town looked very much like a set that was built in one day. It's kind of a weird one in a surreal type of way, and that's good and bad for me. There's plenty of action and some good one liners. Clint is Clint and I loved the midget. I enjoyed it.

Somehow I find Vera Farmiga unusually hot, even though she is not the prettiest in the industry!
Yeah, am somewhat partial to Vera too, she just exudes .... something. Rewatched The Departed the other day and mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm Shame you didn't think a little higher of Orphan but it seems you rate a bit harsher than I do in general anyway.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Yeah, am somewhat partial to Vera too, she just exudes .... something. Rewatched The Departed the other day and mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm Shame you didn't think a little higher of Orphan but it seems you rate a bit harsher than I do in general anyway.
She is delish, ain't she???

About ratings, Shawshank is a 10. Everything else is lower than that. You would barely ever see me dish out 8+ on anything. 6 - Good, 7 - Awesome. 8 and above I normally reserved for legendary stuff, you know, Fritz Lang like movies. Something that moves me emotionally.

Like my ratings matter!

Contagion (2011)

Daniel Isn't Real (2019)

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) - 7.5/10. What a wonderfully crafted documentary. The story is quite touching and jarring at the same. Emotional too! Human depravity probably has no limits. A recommended viewing this one.

My Spy (2020)

Good natured and fun film on a rainy day. The jokes are one dimensional but good...a real few laugh out loud scenes.

I'll do Pasolini another day

you take it away... to show them what they had
All the Way - 5/10
I always watch movies about American Presidents, but this was another piece of baloney. There were some awful scenes. If you aren't going to be accurate, be talented. It is pathetic to NOT know Stokely Carmichael was from the Caribbean and spoke with a heavy accent. Judging by what I saw, I doubt they knew a thing about them, or anyone else.
Enough of the redundant saccharine music pretending to be triumphant. I did like the archival footage. You could take any two hours of archival footage of the LBJ years and it would have been better than this.
i was expecting so much from that movie and got super disappointed.

its main problam its that it is very repetitive. its starts from one point and never escalate. never changes. never succeed in creating dramatic focal points and without those elements, not just that the story aint no good, it practically doesn't exist.

jackie however, is riveting.

Fargo (1996)

Seen this once before and never took to it so thought I'd have another go. Sad to say, same result....effected acting and twee predictable story-line. OK for a bit of whimsy but fail to see the acclaim this gets. The Man Who Wasn't There 5 years later being a far superior film all round.

Wow, really?

Therein Gideon, no wow. Found the whole production pretty flat. Quirkiness just didn't work for me.

Yeah, am somewhat partial to Vera too, she just exudes .... something.

To me it's those pale blue, almost violet colored eyes of hers. Might be contacts, but it's very alluring.

Seventh Heaven (1937)

Romance/drama directed by Henry King, starring Simone Simon and James Stewart. Just seen this for the first time. Long story but I've been interested in seeing it for over 10 years now and finally managed to catch it. Captivated by almost every aspect. Particularly impressed by the script, photography and an exceptionally beautiful performance from Simone Simon. Great film.

9/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	seventh heaven.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	63290  

The Conversation (1974)

What a piece of cinema. First time watch now I don't know why...characters, plot, meaning, intimacy. Liked the whole story of Harry Caul. Coppola was really on it here. Artistic and subtle film making. Gene Hackman plays every scene almost by expression.

9.5/10

Therein Gideon, no wow. Found the whole production pretty flat. Quirkiness just didn't work for me.
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, I've just never heard anyone say anything negative about this movie before...way to stand your ground.