Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I barely remember Kiss The Girls, but I do remember this one. Absolutely horrible opening sequence with the terrible CGI car crash. Almost put me off the film right from the start.

Memorable villain, mainly because I really like Michael Wincott with his smokers voice. The whole production screams late 90's early 2000's generic thriller and I feel like it stays that way.

Also, the fact this cost around $60 million dollars, blows my mind.
I haven't seen that one all the way through but I liked Kiss the Girls, especially because of Morgan Freeman – he was great to watch.

I love Michael Wincott as well .

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
In the valley of Elah (2007)

Another terrific performance by tommy lee jones following no country for old men. His face has so much character.

This ones about a ex military father searching for his missing military son (in America). Although there’s visible horror and drama I would say the portrayal of the soldiers and the effects of war, in particular Iraq are more subtle than hammered home. You feel for both the victims and the perpetrators and it presents complex characters, ones which are not wholly good or evil/bad. Again I feel the broader lesson is the horror of war rather than any singular character although it just really scraps the surface by focusing on a singular tale - which is the missing soldier. But this effectively makes you think.

Really worth watching if you like the mystery detective type genre. Also a great performance by the strong Charlize Theron as budding detective.

4.5/5

Rather bizarre movie that didn’t make a lot of sense. Florence Pugh in the lead very good.

Come and See (1985)

It definitely lived up to the hype. I thought some of the characters acted a little odd at times in the first half, but besides that I thought it was great. I usually only get teary eyed from love stories but I couldn't help myself watching some of these scenes, scenes I'll probably never forget. My wife doesn't usually watch these types of movies with me but she did and also thought it was great.
This looks like my kinda movie @cricket. Is it foreign?

This looks like my kinda movie @cricket. Is it foreign?
It's Russian (or Soviet actually). I didn't like it as much as @cricket but I'd still say it's worth a watch. Too much propaganda (like the demonization of Germans) ate some of its strength away but it certainly has its moments.

Monkey Business (1931)

Just what I've now come to expect from the Marx Brothers, a very funny movie. Except, what's with Zeppo? He doesn't seem to fit in or add much of anything.

Cavalcade (1933)

Won the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Director, now it's mostly forgotten. It's much better than it's IMDB rating would have one believe...My review link if anyone is interested in reading a bit more why I gave this a

Monkey Business (1931)

Just what I've now come to expect from the Marx Brothers, a very funny movie. Except, what's with Zeppo? He doesn't seem to fit in or add much of anything.
Could never bare the Marx Bros.. prefered Laurel & Hardy... even The Three Stooges.

UNBROKEN: (2014).

I am on a bit of a survival film kick at the moment. One of the best most compelling I have seen recently is Unbroken.. the wartime exploits of American Olympic athlete Louis Zamperini. He, along with two USAF airmen spent a record number of days drifting in the ocean after ditching their stricken plane. Surviving that alone was a miracle. But what followed tears at the heart strings..his treatment at the hands of the brutal Japanese in a POW camp in Japan. The man was signaled out by a sadistic officer for some of the most savage treatment short of death.. all because he vanquished the same Japanese officer in a race at the Olympics. Call it pay back time as the Orientals despise losing face.. specially to men who surrender. Dishonorable. Unbroken boasts excellent acting, a rivetting storyline and superb cinematography.

2017 Murder On the Orient Express
3 out of 5.

I just saw this today, and perhaps I'm at a handicap, because I' m measuring it against the 1974 version. I'd probably bump this one up to a 3.5 if I'd never seen the earlier film; just b/c I 'm such a fan of these type of murder mysteries, and have (at one point) read every book Dame Agatha had ever written.

But for me. this version AND the so called uber actors PALED next to the original; and the unforgettable, almost stage like, on screen personas of people like Lauren Bacall,
Sean Connery, John Geilgud, Tony Perkins, etc. These were actors who knew how to command the screen. And were a delight to watch.

Johnny Depp, so often lauded as an actor who can disappear into a part - just seemed to disappear off the screen. Michelle Pfeiffer and William Dafoe had more impact, but never seemed to make me have any involvement with their character
( though I've surely enjoyed the magnetism of both of them in other films) Old timer Judi Dench was the only one who - for me - had a real presence.

The only thing I could say was superior in this version was the photography- . using all the skills of modern techniques, I think visually - the churning train wheels, the snow bound mountains, etc. - all of that was of very good quality.

But as I too often find in contemporary movies, something in the pacing or editing or over extended plot lines, or character development- something is lackluster. And lacking. The movie just started sagging for me about 2/3 through and I was just hoping they would 'get on with it.' .

Whereas the 1974 movie is one I could see over and over again, and relish the 'ride' even knowing the ending.

Btw-(semi spoiler ahead) - the one redeeming thing in the movie was that there was a sort of 'twist ' to the ending in this version from the '74 ending. A confession. Or two . A played out drama upon Poirot and a clever ploy by Poirot as a test of character.

But this sort of changed Poirot's character as well, making him more sentimental and human; but then- not the fussy, meticulous, annoying but brilliant sleuth that Christie created. I also, for no reason I can state, found the plot line and conspiracy harder to believe in this movie - whereas in the 74 version I didn't have any qualm about 'suspending disbelief,'

Still it is a well crafted AC mystery, studded with stars of this day, wandering over exotic foreign terrain; and probably more to be enjoyed by those unfamiliar with the 74 (and other) version(s). For me, the earlier film remains a mystery classic, and the one I would watch again.

2017 Murder On the Orient Express
3 out of 5.

I just saw this today, and perhaps I'm at a handicap, because I' m measuring it against the 1974 version. I'd probably bump this one up to a 3.5 if I'd never seen the earlier film; just b/c I 'm such a fan of these type of murder mysteries, and have (at one point) read every book Dame Agatha had ever written.

But for me. this version AND the so called uber actors PALED next to the original; and the unforgettable, almost stage like, on screen personas of people like Lauren Bacall,
Sean Connery, Peter Ustinov, Tony Perkins, etc. These were actors who knew how to command the screen. And were a delight to watch.

Johnny Depp, so often lauded as an actor who can disappear into a part - just seemed to disappear off the screen. Michelle Pfeiffer and William Dafoe had more impact, but never seemed to make me have any involvement with their character
( though I've surely enjoyed the magnetism of both of them in other films) Old timer Judi Dench was the only one who - for me - had a real presence.

The only thing I could say was superior in this version was the photography- . using all the skills of modern techniques, I think visually - the churning train wheels, the snow bound mountains, etc. - all of that was of very good quality.

But as I too often find in contemporary movies, something in the pacing or editing or over extended plot lines, or character development- something is lackluster. And lacking. The movie just started sagging for me about 2/3 through and I was just hoping they would 'get on with it.' .

Whereas the 1974 movie is one I could see over and over again, and relish the 'ride' even knowing the ending.

Btw-(semi spoiler ahead) - the one redeeming thing in the movie was that there was a sort of 'twist ' to the ending in this version from the '74 ending. A confession. Or two . A played out drama upon Poirot and a clever ploy by Poirot as a test of character.

But this sort of changed Poirot's character as well, making him more sentimental and human; but then- not the fussy, meticulous, annoying but brilliant sleuth that Christie created. I also, for no reason I can state, found the plot line and conspiracy harder to believe in this movie - whereas in the 74 version I didn't have any qualm about 'suspending disbelief,'

Still it is a well crafted AC mystery, studded with stars of this day, wandering over exotic foreign terrain; and probably more to be enjoyed by those unfamiliar with the 74 (and other) version(s). For me, the earlier film remains a mystery classic, and the one I would watch again.
First time seen you on this thread LL. I watched this about a month ago. Is imho the best of all versions of this iconic Christie mystery. Yes the 1974 version had a great group of character actors in the major supporting roles but was spoilt big time by the caricature portrayal of Poirot by Albert Finney. I still shudder at his performance.

I barely remember Kiss The Girls, but I do remember this one. Absolutely horrible opening sequence with the terrible CGI car crash. Almost put me off the film right from the start.

Memorable villain, mainly because I really like Michael Wincott with his smokers voice. The whole production screams late 90's early 2000's generic thriller and I feel like it stays that way.

Also, the fact this cost around $60 million dollars, blows my mind.
yea i agree same here.
love him on the crow

Brigsby Bear (2017)

Kinda like an under 18's version of Dogtooth.(?)

Wasn't quite as funny as I had anticipated but has a great ending.

Same sort of rating as I gave it. It's good, but not as good as it could have been I reckon.

Move over Black Panther because Marvel has managed to release a super hero film that is....

actually worse than Black Panther. No really I was worried that by years end Black Panther would have been the worst super hero movie of the year thankfully Ant-man and the Wasp showed up.

With that said both films are good, though Ant-man and the Wasp suffers from DC-itis. DC-itis is when you cast a dozen named actors and cram them into your movie so your story can't make any organic turns or do interesting things. Seriously this film has 14 characters and everyone is given a "moment" by the end of the film I was given a horrible sense of the could-a-beens.

This could have been a great 10-part miniseries on HBO, an attempt at a genre shift where you are making a 50's science fiction movie. Ghost is the antagonist with phasing powers and an interesting backstory and personality could have been great to see the story play out. Hank Pym and Bill Foster have a scientific and political rivalry that could have been a really good film. And I'll say this, the Michael Douglas storyline and character were much more engaging this time around. This could have been a hell of great adventure story with the crew going into the microverse to find Janet Van Dyne but what we got was typical CGI boredom.

And while I have gripes....I will admit it's a decent film. There is nothing wrong with what we got, we do see these glimmers of cool stuff that's packed into a decent comedy. I believe I liked this more than the first one because of the improvements to Douglas's character and Randal Park's Jimmy Woo. Woo is the Shield agent in-charge of watching Lang and Park and Rudd have the best chemistry in the film.

yea i agree same here.
love him on the crow
He really made me laugh in The Count of Monte Cristo, where he plays the warden of the Chateau d'If, Dorleac. In a pivotal sequence he's walking up the spiral stairs saying "I'm so bored ". I like that because he's camping it up in a completely different way to Guy Pearce, who's far too scenery-chewing for my taste.