The best "female" horror movie

Tools    

World's Horniest Scotsman
***SPOILERS BELOW***

I was re-watching one of my favorite movies the other day and realised that I couldn't think of another movie that comes close to portraying fear and horror from a woman's perspective.

I'm not just talking about the fear of the creepy-crawlys or giving birth to some kind of monster, that has been overdone in so many movies. It's almost a cop-out nowadays to show that; a way of covering all the bases. Albeit it does play a part in the story, it's just too easy to throw that in, ya know?

What impressed me the most is how the writers and director were able to incorporate other facets like abandonment, fear of losing control, fear of the unknown, fear of the loss of a loved one, etc. into the story. Many of the deepest and darkest horrors that would affect a woman. Then at the end when *she* was the one who had to kill the person she had fallen in love with? Whoa, talk about really giving the screw an extra turn...

That, folks, is why Cronenberg's version of The Fly is in my top 3 horror movies of all time. I still can't think of another movie that comes close to hitting so many different fears told from the female perspective.

stew

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Ginger Snaps would have to steal my vote as well. As fantastic a horror movie as the Fly is, Ginger Snaps just did so many things right during a time in which everyone thought everything had either already been done to the point it couldn't be redone or that no one could possibly come up with anything new worth being new. Then Ginger Snaps came out of nowhere and proved everyone wrong.

Carrie seems to fit the bill here, but then I am not a female.

So many good movies, so little time.
Carrie
Bride of Frankenstein
The Exorcist
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

But to me the scariest although most people would probably not consider it a horror film :

Fatal Attraction

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by uconjack
But to me the scariest although most people would probably not consider it a horror film :

Fatal Attraction
My hsb considers it a horror movie as a similar thing happened to him, only the lady had a gun.

the exorcist or carrie

Yeah, I'd definitely put Rosemary's Baby at number one. By far. And Polanski's Repulsion would have to be in second place all by itself.

Cronenberg's The Fly is good, but look at The Brood (1979) and Rabid (1977) from him too.

Demon Seed (1977) is a bit dated but still pretty good, as is The Entity (1981).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Carrie would have to get my vote.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Fasten your seat belts...
I get scared by being 'trapped' or conspiricies etc. Rosemary's Baby really frightened me. Also Stepford Wives (original) was eerie cause she was trapped. Actually Candy Man also scared me cause her husband abandoned her when she needed him.

(no, it hasn't happened to me - guess I just fear it happening!!)

Hellraiser, Exorcist, Grudge (original) and Children of the Corn are all movies I can't watch on my own - just - well - cause!!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Heavenly Creatures (if that's counted as horror)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by uconjack

Fatal Attraction
If you liked Fatal Attraction, you should check out Play Misty for Me.

Personally, I hated Fatal Attraction, especially after the unwarranted hype this film receives.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Anyone ever seen When A Stranger Calls?
ahh, that about did it for me. made my nipples apparent in the most unpleasant way.

OK, y'all forgot to mention some classics;

Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis
Nightmare on Elm Street with Heather Langenkamp
Creepers with Jennifer Connelly
Re-Animator with Barbara Crompton

Were any of the above mentioned movies actually written by females?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
Anyone ever seen When A Stranger Calls?
ahh, that about did it for me. made my nipples apparent in the most unpleasant way.
Naughty yet inticing...shame on you .

Carrie or Ju on

Originally Posted by Loner
What about Frankenhooker?

The obvious choice.